Japan

s2 repaint e3

komachi.jpg

Last edited:
s2 repaint
Wow, Stunning Job! All we need is slightly larger windows, and the coupler. I actually have made Enginesound of the E2-1000/E3 GTO-VVVF to jazz this up. Also I hope I'm not asking for too much.. Is this the only livery your gonna add? (I don't mind if it is) But are you gonna make other liveries like for the "Tsubasa" Services and "Genbi" Services?

Last edited:
Taking a small break from DE10-making (a lot of third sector and industrial railways' versions are already finished!), i had a bit of fun with Keimei's nice DMUs on the Nidderthalbahn Route.

KiHa 47-1000
KiHa-47.png

JR Hokkaido KiHa 40-700

KiHa40.png

and finally, one of my favourite Japanese DMUs - the KiHa 54 "Hokkaido version"

KiHa54.png

Love to see part from where I'm from, Ogikubo (Between Mitaka and Nakano)

Ah, cool. Then this should be a more familiar sight...

familiar.png

...this probably a bit less...

Can you guess the year (or the range of years) in wich this picture is set?

1981-1983.png

Can you guess the year (or the range of years) in wich this picture is set?

(snipped)

Judging from the presence of 103 series EMU on Chuo Rapid Line tracks amidst the emergence of 201 series EMUs on both Chuo Rapid Line and Chuo-Sobu Line, it is presumed that this picture depicts the period between 1982 and 1983 (as Chuo-Sobu Line 201 series began to rolling on the tracks from August 14th, 1982, with 103 series EMUs were retired from Chuo Rapid Line in 1983 due to the arrival of more 201 series trains on the same line).

@ All: Great work
@ Jdriver: Thanks for the pics
@ Hirochi : Thanks for the nice reskins of the S2. I like the E3 one
@ AlexMaria: Thanks for the great DE10 packs

Time for some Fantasy Shinkansens

E5-2000 (Fantasy West Japan Colored E5 set) meets S2 Zero by Hirochi @ Oga Surroundings Icarus Shinkansen.

51013572983_9cca1c1626_h.jpg
[/URL]TRS19_2021_03_07_22_41_50_006 by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

51013572923_905cfb21e1_h.jpg
[/URL]TRS19_2021_03_07_22_42_24_782 by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

51013572753_a309ee7687_h.jpg
[/URL]TRS19_2021_03_07_22_43_41_636 by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

51014296596_28e8291207_h.jpg
[/URL]TRS19_2021_03_07_22_43_02_255 by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

51014384857_439af0ff6a_h.jpg
[/URL]TRS19_2021_03_07_22_43_57_791 by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

51014296376_41fca240a5_h.jpg
[/URL]TRS19_2021_03_07_22_46_32_606 by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

51013572588_e3d685a267_h.jpg
[/URL]TRS19_2021_03_07_22_47_29_730 by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

51014384627_2279542f9d_h.jpg
[/URL]TRS19_2021_03_07_22_47_54_131 by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

51014296251_16ffaacd18_h.jpg
[/URL]TRS19_2021_03_07_22_57_01_023 by pagroove, on Flickr[/IMG]

@ all: Great shots
@ AlexMaria

I have a question. Now that you have done the Joyfull pack could you suggest some consist configurations?

What Keimei or other cars are suitable to be pulled by any of those Joyfull trains. I've looked some of those Joyfulls up on Wikipedia and some trains also have rolling stock in the same paint but I assume those are not up at the DLS.?

BTW Extra question now seeing you drove Kiha's on the Nidderthal Bahn? Did you adapt the bogies on the train because that is another gauge?;)

Last edited:
Judging from the presence of 103 series EMU on Chuo Rapid Line tracks amidst the emergence of 201 series EMUs on both Chuo Rapid Line and Chuo-Sobu Line, it is presumed that this picture depicts the period between 1982 and 1983 (as Chuo-Sobu Line 201 series began to rolling on the tracks from August 14th, 1982, with 103 series EMUs were retired from Chuo Rapid Line in 1983 due to the arrival of more 201 series trains on the same line).

Spot on! The shot is exactly set between late 1982 and early 1983 as you precisely described!

@ AlexMaria

I have a question. Now that you have done the Joyfull pack could you suggest some consist configurations?
What Keimei or other cars are suitable to be pulled by any of those Joyfull trains. I've looked some of those Joyfulls up on Wikipedia and some trains also have rolling stock in the same paint but I assume those are not up at the DLS.?

Well, for Joyful trains' rolling stock, there is practically nothing on the DLS. The closest thing that might be suitable is the Choshi Railway "Torokko" wagon that Keimei made a while ago and the "Ban'etsu Monogatari" 12 Series coaches made by Hirochi, wich should be able to act as a "stand-in" for proper joyful trains' cars.

This reminds me, i should really make a JNR 50 Series coach pack as 70% of tourist trains uses those (well, extensively modified, but still a 50 Series at heart).

BTW Extra question now seeing you drove Kiha's on the Nidderthal Bahn? Did you adapt the bogies on the train because that is another gauge?;)

Actually, no. I used the standard bogey they came with. Honestly, when running a train with 1067mm-gauge bogeys on 1435mm-gauge track, the "gap" is hardly noticeable unless you're actively looking for it. It's actually worse in the other way: running trains with 1435mm-gauge bogeys on 1067mm-gauge tracks.

Spot on! The shot is exactly set between late 1982 and early 1983 as you precisely described!

Well, for Joyful trains' rolling stock, there is practically nothing on the DLS. The closest thing that might be suitable is the Choshi Railway "Torokko" wagon that Keimei made a while ago and the "Ban'etsu Monogatari" 12 Series coaches made by Hirochi, wich should be able to act as a "stand-in" for proper joyful trains' cars.

This reminds me, i should really make a JNR 50 Series coach pack as 70% of tourist trains uses those (well, extensively modified, but still a 50 Series at heart).

Actually, no. I used the standard bogey they came with. Honestly, when running a train with 1067mm-gauge bogeys on 1435mm-gauge track, the "gap" is hardly noticeable unless you're actively looking for it. It's actually worse in the other way: running trains with 1435mm-gauge bogeys on 1067mm-gauge tracks.

Thank you. I will look for those coaches :)
I did indeed find some images of the nostalgic view train with adapted JNR 50 Series coach.

Finally, after unusually spending more time doing the descriptions on my website rather than actual model making, here's the 3rd completed DE10 pack: "second-hand buyers and industrial railways" !

de10-indust.png

Front to back, left to right: Kamiooka Railway KMDE101, Sagano Scenic Railway DE10, Watarase Keikoku Railway DE10s in both the brown-gold and red liveries, Tarumi Railway TDE11 (light blue livery) and TDE10s in the red, JNR-style and yellow-blue liveries, Mooka Railway DE10s in the JNR-style and brown-red livery, Tobu Railway DE10s in the JNR-style and Hokutosei-style liveries, Hachinoe Rinkai Railway, Kinuura Rinkai Railway, Sendai Rinkai Railway, Akita Rinkai Railway, Seino Railway, Tokachi Railway and Niigata Rinkai Railways DE10/DE65/KE65s (where applicable, with multiple versions).

These are all already avaible for download at my website.

So, let's start.

Tarumi Railway TDE10 and TDE11s

These were acquired in 1984 upon the formation of the Tarumi Railway, wich inherited the Tarumi Line from JNR. Five units were acquired, with four being reclassified as "TDE10s" and one as a "TDE11" as it had undergone modifications that made it similar to JNR heavy-duty DE11s (also derived from DE10s).

Initially, the TDE10s were fitted in the standard JNR red and gray livery for diesel locomotives, wich was soon modified with "V"-shaped decorative white lines on the front and the cab sides. TDE102 was later repainted in a flashy dark blue and yellow livery with a thin pink line, while the sole TDE11 unit was repainted in a distinctive pleasant light blue livery.

These four locomotives were mainly used to haul Tarumi Railway's freight trains, wich usually consisted of double-headed cement tanker trains run on behalf of Sumitomo Cement and on peak-hour passenger services as well, hauling ex-JR Shikoku 12 or 14 Series cars, a distinctive fetaure of the railway.

In 2006, with the discontinuation of freight services, the fleet of TDE10s suddently became unemployed, and with the distinctive peak hour passenger services not enough important to justify maintaining a fleet of diesel locomotives, all TDE10s and the single TDE11 were retired and later scrapped in April 2007.

Moka Railway DE10s

In 2004 the Mooka Railway purchased a DE10 second-hand from JR East, wich was intended to replace the railway's DD13 55 as the "SL Mooka" helper locomotive. DE10 1535 entered service on the Mooka Railway in late August 2004 and it's still in service as of today, painted in it's JNR-era livery, assisting Mooka Railway's venerable C12 66 on "SL Mooka" services, or "standalone" on charter services (hauling the same 50 Series cars of the "SL Mooka").

While Mooka Railway's only operational diesel locomotive is DE10 1535, the company also owns atleast two more DE10s, nos. 1014 and 95, wich were purchased as spare parts donor (and thus never ran a single millimiter on the Mooka Railway under their own power). After being likely stripped of their internal components, both locomotives were put on display at Mooka station, with unit 95 having retained it's JNR-era livery, while unit 1014 was repainted into a fictious brown livery with red bands.

Watarase Keikoku Railway DE10s

The Watarase Keikoku Railway owns two DE10s, nos. 1537 and 1678, wich the company had purchased from JR East in 1998 and 2000 respectively. Both are currently in service hauling the railway's "Torokko" (open-side) passenger cars, with DE10 1678 keeping the standard JNR livery, while DE10 1537 was repainted in a dark brown and gold livery.

Tobu Railway DE10s

The only major private railway in this list, Tobu Railway purchased DE10 1099 from JR East in 2016 as a helper locomotive for the "SL Taiju" steam train - the first "SL" tourist train operated by a major railway company.
In 2020, Tobu Railway purchased yet another DE10 from JR East, this time no.1109, wich was repainted in a livery inspired by the "Hokutosei" one worn by dedicated JR Hokkaido DD51s, complete with the "star" design on the cab sides.

Currently, Tobu railway's DE10s are used interchangeably mostly to assist the company's C11s on SL Taiju services, but they also run on "on their own" on "DL Taiju" services (when steam locomotives aren't avaible) or for other charter services.
Recently, with the complete withdrawal of Tobu Railway's electric locomotive fleet, the two DE10s started to be used on more "mundane" tasks as well, such as empty stock movements.

Sagano Scenic Railway DE10

The famous Sagano Scenic Railway owns only one locomotive: DE10 1104, wich the railway had recieved from JR West, it's parent company. DE10 1104 was one of the many surplus DE10s bound for the scrapyard in the late 1980s, but in 1990 it was selected as the locomotive for the newly-formed Sagano Scenic Railway, and thus was repaired and repainted in a mostly black livery with red and gold portions. It re-entered service on the Sagano Scenic Railway on the 27th of April 1997, the day that the railway opened.

DE10 1104 is currently still in service as the Sagano Railway's locomotive of choice, hauling five "Torokko" cars converted from 2-axle gondola cars. If DE10 1104 is not avaible for any reason (such as a fault, or more commonly, scheduled maintainance or overhauls) it will be replaced by another DE10, specially designated unit 1156, wich altought it's fitted in the same livery as the former one, is owned directly by JR West rather than by the Sagano Scenic Railway.

Seino Railway DE10 501

The Seino Railway, one of Japan's smallest railway companies, owns just one DE10, wich the company had purchased from the JNRSC (the Japanese National Railway Settlement Corporation - the post-privatization interim agency tasked to phisically split JNR into the JR Group companies and to sell ex-JNR surplus rolling stock to mitigate the national railway's huge debt). Originally DE10 148, it was soon renumbered to "DE10 501" (probably because the steam heater for passenger cars was removed upon arrival). DE10 501 has been the mainstay of the Seino Railway since it's entrance into service in the 1990s, shuttling limestone back and forth on the 1,3Km-long Seino Railway line.

Unfortunately, in March 2021, it suffered a fatal fault, and it currently stored out-of-service, awaiting for repairs.

[continues in next post]

[continues from preceeding post]

Hachinoe Rinkai Railway DE10 1761

The Hachinoe Rinkai Railway owns only one DE10 unit: no.1761 wich the company had purchased from JR East in 2004. It's currently in regular use on the 8,5Km-long Hachinoe Rinkai Railway line, togheter with a DD16 (also bought second-hand from JR East) and the rest of the company's diesel locomotives.

As the Hachinoe Rinkai Railway has no dedicated maintainance facility, for repairs, overhauls and even regular maintainance, DE10 1761 has to be towed all the way from Hachinoe to JR East's Akita or Morioka vehicle maintainance centres.

Sendai Rinkai Railway DE65

DE65 2 was the first DE65 (the "industrial" version of standard DE10s) to arrive on the Sendai Rinkai Railway, in November 2011, as part of the railway's efforts to rebuild itself after the devastating 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami, wich washed away most of the railway's small network and damaged beyond repair a considerable part of the railway's fleet.

The locomotive was actually owned by the Akita Rinkai Railway, wich loaned it to the Sendai Rinkai Railway for a symbolic price. Originally a Niigata Rinkai Railway locomotive, wich the Hachinoe Rinkai Railway had purchased in 2003 after the closure of the former, upon it's arrival on the Sendai Rinkai Railway, DE65 2 was repainted in the JNR-era standard diesel locomotive livery (red and grey with a white "separatory" line - during the era of the Hachinoe and even before the Niigata Rinkai Railway, the livery was largely identical to the JNR one, except the "separatory" line, wich was yellow instead of white).

In March 2017, the Sendai Rinkai Railway finally bought DE65 2 from the Hachinoe Rinkai Railway, and in 2019, another DE65 arrived: DE65 3, formerly JR East Aomori Depot's DE10 1536. Both locomotives are now in regular service, and the Sendai Rinkai Railway has already announced that it will purchase yet another DE10 locomotive (this time keeping the original designation) from the soon-to-be-closed Akita Rinkai Railway.

Akita Rinkai Railway DE65 and DE10 diesel locomotives

The Akita Rinkai Railway currently owns three DE10 diesel locomotives, all actually ex-DE15s converted to DE10 standards. Two of them are ex-JR East locomotives, while the third was actually purchased "third-hand" from the Tokachi Railway in Hokkaido upon it's closure in 2012, wich itself had been purchased from JR East in 2004. All three DE10s are currently in regular service, painted in the JNR-era standard diesel locomotive livery.

The railway also used to own one more DE10-type locomotive: DE65 2 wich the Akita Rinkai Railway had purchased from the Niigata Rinkai Railway upon it's closure in 2003. In Akita Rinkai Railway service, DE65 2 kept it's Niigtata Rinkai Railway-era livery (basically the same as the JNR standard livery but with a yellow line instead of a white one). In November 2011, DE65 2 was loaned for a symbolic price to the Sendai Rinkai Railway, to help with reconstruction works after the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami. DE65 2 was later outright acquired by the Sendai Rinkai Railway in 2017.

Currently, with the railway's closure looming, the Akita Rinkai Railway is selling off most of it's rolling stock. The Sendai Rinkai Railway has already set forth to acquire one of the DE10 units.

Kinuura Rinkai Railway KE65

The Kinuura Rinkai Railway currently owns four KE65 Diesel locomotives, numbered 1 to 3 and 5, two of them having been delivered in 1975 for the opening of the Handa Line, followed by two more in 1977 for the opening of the Hekinan Line. Later on, in 1984 the company sold units KE65 2 and KE65 5 to the Tarumi Railway. In 1990 the Kinuura Railway bought two surplus DE10-1500 units (later renamed KE65 2 and KE65 5) from the JNRSC, returning to a fleet of four units.

Currently, all four KE65s are in service, split 50-50 between the two unconnected lines operated by the railway.

Kamiooka Railway KMDE101

In 1991 the Kamiooka Railway bought DE10 1005 second-hand from JR Shikoku, to replace one of it's ageing KMDD13s (wich were two DD13 locomotives that the railway had inherited from JNR upon it's takeover of the Kamiooka Line in 1984) on the railway's freight services. Reclassified KMD101 and repainted head-to-toe in a dark blue livery with yellow details and a 5-point star on the sides of the "short hood", the locomotive entered service in mid-1991. Soon after, the Kamiooka Railway acquired another DE10, no.1010, as well, but this time only as a spare parts donor.

However, the career of the KMDE101 was relatively short, as in 1996 the Kamiooka Railway made an agreement with JR Freight: from the 16th of March of that year, freigth trains began to be hauled by JR Freight-owned locomotives manned by Kamiooka Railway crews. Thus, the lone KMDE101 became surplus, was retired and put up for display in front of Okuhida Onsenguchi station, but was later scrapped in 2007, after the Kamiooka Railway had closed altogheter.

Tokachi Railway DE10 1543

Purchased from JR East in 2004, DE10 1543 was used on the Tokachi Railway shuttling tanker, hopper and container cars togheter with the rest of the railway's small fleet of diesel locomotives until the closure of the line in 2012. Two years later, in 2014, DE10 1543 was acquired by the Akita Rinkai Railway and soon after was moved there, re-entering service under it's original DE10 1543 classification.

Niigata Rinkai Railway DE65

The Niigata Rinkai Railway used to own three DE65 Diesel locomotives. These were theoretically derivatives of JNR's DE10s, but were rather more similar to the heavy-duty DE11s instead (themselves too based on the DE10).
Units DE65 1 and 2 were originally built new by Nippon Sharyo for the railway's opening in 1970, painted in a variant of the JNR standard diesel locomotives' livery, wich was basically identical to the latter but with yellow in place of white (the same livery had been also applied to the company's other two DD56 diesel locomotives, former JNR's DD13s transferred for the line's opening).

In 1995 the Niigata Rinkai Railway acquired another DE10, unit 1144, from JR Freight. This unit, manufactued by Kisha Seizo in 1971, had been assigned to Okayama depot until then, therefore it had to be adapted to the "cold region specifications" (addition of clear-wiew screens, better insulation) before entering service as DE65 3, painted in the railway's standard red and yellow livery.
With the closure of the Niigata Rinkai Railway in 2002, unit 2 was sold to the Akita Rinkai Railway, while the other four locomotives (the two DE65s and the two DD56s) were scrapped soon after.

Phew!
And that's the last of the three-part DE10 pack!

Now onto DE11s!

Last edited:
Thank you AlexMaria and Treinspotter Jeffrey for all those very nice DE10's. I will certainly come up with some tasks in the Icarus Region. Will look for those rolling stock combo's. I wanna run some "Joy"full trains :D.:Y:

6JrEastSteelBill.jpg

May someone try to make a kiha 110 series as well as a 2 car version as well?
not sure was there a 110 series train before on DLS
Plus the 110 series has a few in service that are joyful trains such as.
Tohuku Emotions and the Pikachu train (and before that, it was the pokemkon train)

Back