Narrow gauge screenshots

It just gets better and better <kuid:701024:100291> NG24 New Phillips-Placerville v3.0 by amanda663

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Thanks Amanda! :D

Trying very hard not to be insulting the little 2-6-2T used on Puffing Billy Victoria Australia pull 11 Cars at 10Tons each totalling 110 Tons up steep grades maybe its 7mph but they did it ok in the 60's - 70's Notice the double heading lately but seen photo's of Belgrave Platform that looks like it has been lengthened now and the train looks full length in the platform

Tom

To be fair to Mr Beytien the 0-6-0 was limited to one carriage over the Baxter pass section because the grade was 7.5% , the other side of the pass was a 5% grade , it was a fearsome railroad in that respect in that section ,but the rest of it was around 3% average. I doubt Puffing Billy is anywhere near the 7.5% grade , even the Baldwin 2-6-6-2's ( which could pull 525 tons on the 4% grades to Atchee) were limited to 90 tons on the 7.5% stretch !

SR&RL rolling stock on the New Phillips-Placerville Route.

SR&RL full roster at Placerville

:D

Last edited:
couple more shots of the Uintah showing latest progress.

WPwnFVv.jpg

Jhcp6a0.jpg

new gilsonite mine at Eureka, this is one of the longest Gilsonite trenches in the world, there are three other hoists beyond this cut, you can see one in the distance, but the others are out of sight about 3 miles away .
N4obB85.jpg

WjI2g28.jpg

Last edited:
i seem to be hogging this thread... apologies.
asUNkD7.jpg

uintah locos wait for the go ahead to leave Bonanza
W4LZ6EF.jpg

Bonazna tipple and one of its gilsonite trenches
nwzZiIY.jpg

these trenches were hundreds of feet deep so had to be fenced off to protect the local children
052TEGJ.jpg

EywxgpA.jpg

qoZVDv3.jpg

Well I haven't figured out how to do a full pic, just a link to the gallery, so it'll probably be small. Anyway, this is New Plymouth, New Zealand (I never realised 3ft 6in was narrow gauge, I always thought it was normal!). Set around 1960 when steam was still king, and diesel a new fad! I have too many projects, so this is really a slow project and far from complete. Ok, maybe the pic worked! We have the Drewy Railcar, an Ab Class Pacific, and the later K Class 4-8-4. Still lots to do and I wish there was more up-to-date trees particularly the NZ Xmas tree - pohutakawa.
New-Plymouth-Engine-Sheds-circa-1960-WIP-route.jpg

A couple of my favorite 30" gauge locomotives working Timber Ridge on an airshow excursion.

:D

Last edited:
No 14 pulling empties towards Bonanza summit at dawn .
psOWcVH.jpg

kdYH9kb.jpg

earlier seen leaving Bonanza.
If they were lucky, the crew might get a cup of coffee at the Dragon store.
24qGzeq.jpg

Nice Norm .. What layot?

Tom

<kuid:849438:100037> Strahan (Regatta Point) to Queenstown Tasmania - A New Era SP2 by jamesh1955 on the DLS. Shown in TANE but looks pretty good in TRS19 too IMO.

The only change I've made is replacing the track between Dubbil Barril and Hall's Creek with <kuid:177548:10003> ABT Rack Track by Barn700 on the DLS.

Rolling stock is WIP by narrowgauge.

That is a very nice route and great screenshots Norm. I haven't done much with my own copy of it lately and while Peter (narrowgauge) has sent me his WIP models I haven't looked at them yet due to still being too sleepy to do much.

Download it just wounderful … downloaded free roam session VR std gauge locos and stock … did not have locos and stock so changed it to a NZGR F class tank, AA class coaches and a Fell Van to do a test run

Tom

narrowgauge has a collection of 42" rolling stock on the DLS. They are not for the WCWR but I ran them for years on this route.

<kuid:177548:10003> ABT Rack Track by Barn700 on the DLS
Thanks Norm I'll have to look at the rack track by Barn. It doesn't look like the old version he had on his web site at one time. I decided not to use that. I re-tracked the route with some PT 3'ng I'm working on for the EBT. I had to add a pusher on the rear just to get a typical load of empties the EBT hauled with one 2-8-2 on it's 2.6% and when I stalled on the hill - try restarting 2 steam locos in cab mode on a 6% grade - you need both locos operating at near full output to do it. The 42" equipment doesn't look too bad on it and I didn't see any need to stare at the bogeys. With the rack track available I'll be going back to the 42" gauge.

I've made a couple of especs for Peter's new loco. For the tourist WCWR the Abt 0-4-0's were rebuilt to the original specifications - new boilers and major overhaul to the cylinders and other parts. The main difference from my perspective is they were converted to fuel oil and then to diesel oil for firing the boiler. The working load performance also had to meet those of the original locomotives, i.e. 110 tons under adhesion, 60 tons on the 1:16 rack section and 75 tons on the 1:20 rack section.

The new especs I made meet the original perfomance spec pulling 60t up the 6% grade in cab mode but the 4 tourist cars don't provide much of a load. So it's a challenge to hold the speed down with the new consist Peter made for it. I didn't even have to resort to anything special on the rack section. With 60t in tow I have to disable wheelslip to simulate the cog traction mode to make it an easier drive. Vern has a short section near the top that's over 7%.

The Mt Lyell Mining & Railway Co also operated 2 Baldwin 0-6-0's on this route when it was an operating railroad hauling copper from the Queenstown smelters. These where not fitted with the Abt cog drive system and I believe they used one on each end on the 1 in 16 grade rack section where they were limited to 35t in dry weather and less in wet.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
I've asked this question elsewhere and not received a reply , so I expect the answer is in the negative, but has anyone any knowledge of the existence of an asset of railway worker holding a token to pass to the driver on a single line route? If one doesn't exist I am surprised , but then there's a dearth of railway worker models that are suitable for earlier eras , I'm fed up with all theses hi vis modern examples , I'm looking for something from the 1930s, preferably US costume.

Back