N&W Signals

Jayco-man

which signals would be the best and easiest to use. N&W signals by semiorchief or N&W signals by rrsignal. I'm going to have to learn as I go.:confused:

I would go with the RRS signals because they are scripted and work well in T:ANE.

The SeniorChief signals are nice, but they are much older so I'm not sure how well they'll work.

I would go with the RRS signals because they are scripted and work well in T:ANE.

The SeniorChief signals are nice, but they are much older so I'm not sure how well they'll work.

The script RRSignal uses on his signals are just too difficult for me to understand. Also, there's no signals for the left side of track, while seniorchief's have ones for the left side of the tracks. Also, seniorchief has signal gantries for his signals while RRSignal's signals don't. If you were going to use RRSignal's signals on the left side of the tracks, you'll have to clone it and then go into the config file and change it so that it'll go on the left side instead of the right side. Because of these problems that I have with RRSignal's signals, I'd go with seniorchief's signals, even though they are a bit out of date.

@JCitron: Is it just me, or are the Norfolk and Western's signal rules similar to those on the Pennsylvania? It wouldn't surprise me since the Pennsy owned a large amount of interest in the N&W at one time.

Ok I am using signals by seniorchief. Here is a screen shot of what I have. I have a N&W support bracket and I added two N&W cpl 01 brkt. signals rh because I'm on the right hand, I guess. I have all red, should I not have green or do I need a different signal? The far left track is a siding which is not being used I thank. The other two are through tracks.
zEoNBp.jpg

Last edited:
I see that you have red signals, and I think you are using the right kind for the spot. Your red might be due to a switch not set for the track the train is on verify the setting on the lever in the topmost position in the image.

From what I can tell, the signals work similar to how all other signals do except the railroad chose a combination of color and the semaphore arm-position instead of colored-lights only. The two-headed signals are diverging signals and are the equivalent of Jointed Rail's Type 06 signals.

@JCitron: Is it just me, or are the Norfolk and Western's signal rules similar to those on the Pennsylvania? It wouldn't surprise me since the Pennsy owned a large amount of interest in the N&W at one time.

That's a big possibility and wouldn't doubt it. There was a similar thing on the Long Island Railroad due to the same reason.

OK I changed the switches, but know change in the signals. So as I was working I though should there not be a signal script for the signals? I don't remember seeing one when I downloaded the signals. Thanks for the help cause I have know idea what I'm doing.

OK I changed the switches, but know change in the signals. So as I was working I though should there not be a signal script for the signals? I don't remember seeing one when I downloaded the signals. Thanks for the help cause I have know idea what I'm doing.

I don't think the SC signals are scripted like the RRS or JR signals are so you are not going to see the same affects as those other signals do. It's the script libraries which makes the RRS signals complex and have all the options, which are for linking signals together in interlockings. If you use them with the default settings, they work fine, but yeah figuring out the combinations can be difficult.

You're welcome and I'm glad I can help becuase I have no idea what I'm doing either most of the time myself! :)

Ok I am using signals by seniorchief. Here is a screen shot of what I have. I have a N&W support bracket and I added two N&W cpl 01 brkt. signals rh because I'm on the right hand, I guess. I have all red, should I not have green or do I need a different signal? The far left track is a siding which is not being used I thank. The other two are through tracks.
zEoNBp.jpg

Quoted image to ease the explanation (as I understand these things). From your example the signal should be displaying two reds. This is due to the top switch being set wrong for through traffic on the right most track. I believe the center track is displaying red due to a switch further on or because there is no traffic on that line.

Last edited:
Thanks again, but no go. I added traffic to center track and change the switches one at a time. They still stay red all the time. This is the only signal I have set so far. Would it be better to set another on out in front of this one or no?

Last edited:
Thanks again, but no go. I added traffic to center track and change the switches one at a time. They still stay red all the time. This is the only signal I have set so far. Would it be better to set another on out in front of this one or no?

Does the track dead ends around the corner? If it does, that could be the reason why it's red.

You mite be right, its several miles from here where I'm getting ready to cut through a tunnel, but for right now it is dead-end at that point. I did install another one in front of this one and it seems to be working properly. It is showing yellow on both signals and when I move a train through them they change to red, so again you mite be right. Thanks for all the help.

Jayco, if you give RRSignal's N&W signals a try I think you will be very pleased. I use RRSignal's all over my +200 mile route and they work great in TANE.

Dave

:wave: Want to thank you for this very informational thread on Signaling,

:( One of my beef's with Signaling in Trainz is not believable or correct Aspect views of some Signal setups, it appears that I might want to go with RR signals, because I use TANE which can be a bear cub with Assets and how they work....I have been up to my ears with Faulty Assets in T:ANE, about 15oo hundred at one time with SP-2 upgrade, now I'm down to 340.

:cool: Appreciate the effort here.......

Next dilemma, I've placed two signals, on a role here hun. So I'm using Google to place, so when I get to the next signal I cant tell what it is. I cant tell if its single signals or what, so what do you guys do with something like this? Should I just signal with what works or is there a better way. I though about getting someone close by if I can to get pictures and sent them to me email or phone. Thanks for any ideas.

I would signal what works for now until you can figure out if it's a signal or not, besides, we have to deal with AI drivers who don't always follow prototypical rules and it might be worth getting things too complex because of that.

I also have N&W signals, they use RRsignal script. It's easy once you figure it out. Worth it as they are more detailed signals and also have distant corona effects.

Ok guys I've change my mind, and downloaded rrsignals and script. Seems like more of you are using them, so maybe I can get better help with more people using them. Ok here goes. Does rrsignals not have any what I'm going to call half bridges or bridges, if not would I be able to use the ones that seniorchief has?

Last edited:
Back