Layout Bashing or how to get more enjoyment out of Trianz Model Railroad....

As some of you may know by reading my postings in other forums here, I have finally upgraded my rig from an AMD FX-6300@3.5, 16GB DDR3 and MSI MoBo to an Intel I7 7700@4.2, 16GB DDR4, Asus MoBo while still keeping my MSI GTX-1060 (6GB) Gpu. The performance increase knocked my socks off. Running in 1080p on my Modified Brazemore Yard freight Layout I am now averaging 50-70fps. Which is saying something considering I have redone most of those "ugly" bush splines one at a time with some more realistic looking versions and run my sessions in Summer with foliage at its peak. This will usually cause an fps hit....I also managed to boost my fps up to 96 in some areas by taking advice to change my "Shadow" setting from high to low and can't recommend this tweak enough.

I am satisfied with the performance so I will be posting some more freight ops and possibly some more tutorials as well. Now for a blast from the past..2004:

From VMD, some Swift and Triple Crown roadrailers with a Fred unit. Managed to get these assets to work by modifying their config files.
You can grab them at:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060513064919/http://www.virtual-motive-division.com/html/us_rs.html

Just delete the 3 error lines referenced in the config file and then save and submit.....you can have some roadrailers up and running in no time..(they also have a CN version on the site)

Programming AI and Track Markers...................

So in order to get the loco in the first pic to where it is located at the sanding tower I had to place the track marker where you see it in the second pic. Needless to say it is all trial and error so imagine doing this for multi industries and sidings and you can imagine the headaches one can get....so at this time I am slowly plotting out locations for track markers and then testing and retesting and more testing to make sure they are working correctly. Once done with a few I will have a video of the AI making some pickups and deliveries with little assistance from me. I will say it is a very pleasing feeling when the train does what it is suppose to do.....so far I have made a small 3 unit reefer delivery going from the yard to AA Cold Storage with favorable results and now having the loco go to the sand tower after the delivery..................I guess patience is a virtue.......

Last edited:
At the bottom of the trackmark menu there is a submenu "advanced".
Click on it and you'll see the extra buttons.
Alter the 20 in something else and use the apply button to change the trackmarks by clicking on the trackmarks you want to change.
The red triangles wil change to the range you've filled in.
First click the apply button then click on the trackmark.

Works for a lot more, like triggers etc.

:)

Last edited:
At the bottom of the trackmark menu there is a submenu "advanced".
Click on it and you'll see the extra buttons.
Alter the 20 in something else and use the apply button to change the trackmarks by clicking on the trackmarks you want to change.
The red triangles wil change to the range you've filled in.
First click the apply button then click on the trackmark.

Works for a lot more, like triggers etc.

:)

Wow, that certainly makes things easier for me, thanks for the tip !

Hello Railhead001,

;) Congrats on the New Comp Rig, isn't it great to have equip run a Program as intended!

Later on once I get mainlines oriented in master merge and get my industries set and running properly, I'll be following your lead on Track Marks for AI too.........

:cool: Thanks for mini lesson on your Sander Track Match change up, I have run across that before..........

Hmmm? :eek: Things have been quiet here for a while... anyone one there? :confused: I see that the lights are on. Realhead... anyone... :eek: ... WHAA!!! :'( I can't take it anymore! ... Oh, but wait a minute! Maybe Realhead is off finishing: "Brazemore Version 2.0" or workin' on a new layout for us/himself we'd be able to feast our eyes on in the coming days? Tee hee! :D

-Having upgraded to SP2 yesterday, I've purchased Brazemore (Ver. 1.0), today -hint... hint... from the Clint! :hehe:

Last edited:
Hmmm? :eek: Things have been quiet here for a while... anyone one there? :confused: I see that the lights are on. Realhead... anyone... :eek: ... WHAA!!! :'( I can't take it anymore! ... Oh, but wait a minute! Maybe Realhead is off finishing: "Brazemore Version 2.0" or workin' on a new layout for us/himself we'd be able to feast our eyes on in the coming days? Tee hee! :D

-Having upgraded to SP2 yesterday, I've purchased Brazemore (Ver. 1.0), today -hint... hint... from the Clint! :hehe:

Sorry for the lack of postings...major issue with the Tane SP2 upgrade.....seems all the original payware layouts load fine and dandy from TMR17 but any custom sessions are not able to be downloaded via its content manager due to some "bug" that states your username/password is incorrect while Tane SP2 tells you it is correct............major headache...but hopefully will be resolved shortly..........

:wave: Morning Sir,

I also just did the upgrade to SP-2 on my Laptop, about 3 days ago, so far so good, but I haven't had any issues so far, other than it took one reboot on the night of the install, and 15-20 mins install time, with a Database rebuild,,,,

I've edited my master merge several times, no issues with Saving it...

If I run across anything else, I'll just post it to this msg to let you know......

Wishing you better luck in your resolution of SP-2 issues. ;)

Sorry for the lack of postings...major issue with the Tane SP2 upgrade.....seems all the original payware layouts load fine and dandy from TMR17 but any custom sessions are not able to be downloaded via its content manager due to some "bug" that states your username/password is incorrect while Tane SP2 tells you it is correct............major headache...but hopefully will be resolved shortly..........
As they say "there is always something!" :confused: However, I'm sure your problem can simply be resolved w/ a ticket to the Help Desk; or maybe by a Thread passer-by :)

Had no problem's w the install -and unlike for some- TaNE is running so much better for me now... reminiscent of the final TS12 build! Most of the major issues I've had are now rendered mute; and -as someone had mentioned- you can even see the rivets on the loco's now... SP2 is so much clearer and smoother now!!! :cool:

-Wishing you luck too in resolving your SP2 issue! :)

Started the fun task of importing locos and rolling stock from TMR17 to Tane and talk about a loooonnng process.....right now I have the locos and cabooses I want, next the freight cars and at the same time renaming the config files for each individual piece so they are grouped together according to "type/road name/model/notes" i.e: "Loco BNSF GP38-2 Weathered #2522" or "Caboose BN Transfer"

Takes forever but makes it a snap to find what your looking for when creating consists in surveyor....I did this for TMR17 and thought that would be end of it....oh well.....after that some testing in Tane make sure performance is decent and everything is where it should be. Finally after that the freeware release........I also may be seeking a volunteer for kuid tracking that could keep things updated for non DSL assets that could be posted so people won't have a hard time tracking them down...nothing like finding an "unknown asset" and not being able to locate it on the vast internet....

I also managed to get my passenger version transferred to Tane SP2 and without diving into it, looks like everything was able to be updated without any major issues.....release for that will come later and no decision to what type of release it will be as of yet.....(Whether payware (at an inexpensive price point), released directly to DLS or through a third party site....)

Also to note, I gave up on the Microsoft Game DVR for recording purposes, to many conflicts with other games (Especially Arma 3) I use so looks like I will be on the Bandicam bandwagon shortly.

And finally I am looking to partner with route developers (especially MRR style) who would like some assistance in the detailing department if they prefer to focus on the actual layout design and track planning....just putting some feelers out since for all intents and purposes both versions of the modified Brazemore Yard Layout are finished and I do enjoy the detailing aspect of this hobby.

Last edited:
Today I was on JointedRail's website and found a couple of items that looked like they would be a good replacement fit on the layouts. First is a guard watchtower to keep an eye on the semis at the distribution center. And as you can see this is only an "Exit" now:

So since the above is the exit we need an entrance....new gate hut:
41aae5ba576b19e72739d44c5e9b2a7c.png

Notice how the colors blend in more realistically....note: to all asset makers....please use weathered tones vs. the "shiny new look" it makes a big difference. Seriously we have weathered trainz so why not buildings as well ? That's what I like about JointedRail's pieces, they look like they belong.....and I believe Mike Cyr is responsible for the buildings. He does a most excellent job.

Love the realism of Mike Cyr's work [also CEO of JR... I'm sure you knew.] If I had not known better, your second picture (above), was a picture taken in real life!!! :) You da' man!

Evening Railhead001, just stopped in for second to see what's going on over here,,,,,,,,Like the Security Elevated Guard Shack, that is too cool!

Read about your renaming convention for Assets, that is one thing the drives me Bananas for sure. Definitely on my Bucket List.....

One thing I did start doing is making my Favorites list for several types of Assets I commonly use out of inventory, saves time for me.....Should have started it long ago, better late than never.....

Glad to hear your making some headway with TMR17 issues..........Keep up the good work Sir.........:cool:

**********UPDATE************

Major Hard Drive failure......1st time in 20+ years this has happened to me.......never had this before and this goes back to the land of Packard Bell 486DX pcs...................in process of hopefully restoring everything since the data was savable, just need to transfer hopefully 100k+ files.........oh boy...this is gonna be a major redo over....................well that's why haven't been posting...........back to reinstalling stuff..........

Use an external HD to back things up ... the problem is with that is: what if the external HD also goes bad ... you need a second backup external HD, to backup the 1st external HD :hehe:

Hello Railhead001,

Sorry to hear about Computer failure, :( bummer, I started with 386SX way back in the day of DOS 2.0, Wins wasn't even around then!

Wishing you bits and bytes of good luck, Stay Strong and determined there.:wave:

Back