Pere Marquette 2-8-4 #1225 Rebuild on hold

BDP

Searchlight Studios
The Pere Marquette is on hold because the SRI ran out of funds, they said that Trainfest did not raise enough for 1225's rebuild. They Still need $900,000 to complete the rebuild. Will the 1225 ever see the rails again or be put on display?

What a shame. I hope a way will be found soon to raise the money. She doesn't desire to be stuffed and mounted.

#1225 and NKP #765 ran as a double-header pulling the New River Train running through the New River Gorge in the early '90s. They put on a fantastic show! Now days, CSX won't allow any steam locos on their rails. And that too is a shame.

Below, the only video I could find on YouTube of the double-header... ('Tis also a shame also that hi-def digital cams weren't around back in the '90s.)

I sure hope they can find funding..We have had far too many steam engines shut down..

If CSX would relax its anti-steam policy it would create more "job openings" for steam locomotives such as #1225. Take for example, the New River Train (NTR). It's been running for 50 years now, and it still sells out every year. Usually there's a minimum of 1,200 people riding on each of four trains per year. Back when the NRT was pulled by steam there were often 1,800+ people riding each train. A Trainz magazine article from the '80s reported that the NRT was breaking records for the longest passenger train ever run in North America. Doing the math (at even $100 a ticket) means 1,800 x 4 x $100 = $720,000.00 (US) per year for just 4 excursions.

There are of course other CSX trackage in other sections of the country, particularly in the northeast, where steam excursions could be run. Run at a profit, in fact, that could be used to pay for the expense of rebuilding and maintaining steam locomotives. But with CSX's anti-steam policy in place this won't happen.

Below is a video I shot a few years ago of the New River Trains. Diesels are OK, but it takes three of 'em to do the job that one steam loco used to do, and steam would certainly make the excursion much more appealing! ;) Myself and two other people were the only rail fans that showed up at Prince that day to see/photograph the train. Back when steam was on the head end of the trains there would usually be 2 or 3 dozen railroad buffs along with several family members that would show up for each run.

Last edited:
Back