Coal yard

AmtrackFan

I have looked around and i haven't found one i would like someone to do NS Pier 6 (Lambert's point coal dock). I can provide outside pictures for details.

Are you looking for someone to build the actual unloader as a model, or a route that encompasses the yard? Either way it's a project and a half....

... Either way it's a project and a half....

Yes, not exactly a "one evening" project. :D Lambert's Point is the largest coal terminal in North America. It covers 117 acres and can hold 6,000+ loaded cars on its 62 miles of track!

The official NS video below gives a good overview of operation of the facility (but you do have to be willing to sit through about 9 minutes of video.)

Last edited:
If i had transdem i would build it but sadly I don't. I would be willing to pay for someone to build it if it took that but i would like someone to build the yard for me. please

Hi AmtrackFan

Sorry mate, we were having a bit of fun!

The long and the short of it is that the yard is to all intents and purposes impossible in Trainz. Yes, in theory you could build it, but the track alone is going to be a huge load on the graphics system, and a realistic number of hoppers just isn't going to happen unless both you and the builder have a Cray! I have a rule of thumb with 'big' yards (and by 'big' I'm not thinking of anything remotely like Lambert's Point!) that I build them full length, but only about 1/3 to 1/2 the width, any more than ten or twelve tracks is going to be impossible to fill. I'd rather have a smaller-than-proto yard with a realistic compliment iof rolling stock than a full-size yard that needs to be empty to run through!

Similarly the unloader is a monster project, and the gravity-run part of it is going to be a problem. You are looking for a supremely talented, committed and pasionate content creator with no projects of their own and months and months of time......

Andy

Last edited:
I had just read this post. I went to google maps and looked up the yard. That thing is huge! Looking at the video that was posted above the unloader is a combination of rotary dumper and a kick back track. What I like is that it has two rotary dumpers and two kick backs.
I will agree with Dermmy, First the yard would be almost too much for trainz. Add in train cars and you would have a slide show. The unloder itself would be a big project to produce.
There are some similar unloaders on the dls. They are made by bendorsey. They appear to be made to look llike they are from the late 1800's to early 1900's.

Kenny

Well, that track diagram shows Piers #4 and #5 at Lamberts Point, as things were 70+ years ago, before the present-day Pier 6 was built. If you were the favorite grandson of the NS's CEO you might stand a chance of getting access to present-days blueprints and might be permitted to get into the site to get close enough to take the detailed photos you'd need to build it.

Not totally related to the thread but I found this both amusing and stupid.
http://goo.gl/maps/FB5KS
That link should take you to lambert point yard. But what I am looking at is the sports yard right next to the RR yard. And I do mean Right next to it.
They built it so close that one of the ( I assume) football? yards is not even a full yard. How stupid.
Kenny

Not totally related to the thread but I found this both amusing and stupid.
http://goo.gl/maps/FB5KS
That link should take you to lambert point yard. But what I am looking at is the sports yard right next to the RR yard. And I do mean Right next to it.
They built it so close that one of the ( I assume) football? yards is not even a full yard. How stupid.
Kenny

Why do you think it's stupid? Space in Norfolk isn't exactly cheap and abundant. That must be Old Dominion University's complex, which just re-introduced a football program a few years ago. The odd shaped practice fields are probably used by the Women's lacrosse and field hockey teams as well.

Fill it 1/4 way up with 1800 coal hoppers, and your framerates will be slayed to single digits.

If you put in fake, hopper, rail car splines, it might be do able.

Well, that track diagram shows Piers #4 and #5 at Lamberts Point, as things were 70+ years ago, before the present-day Pier 6 was built. If you were the favorite grandson of the NS's CEO you might stand a chance of getting access to present-days blueprints and might be permitted to get into the site to get close enough to take the detailed photos you'd need to build it.

Yes, it was a rather ironical comment.

What an awesome facility. I enjoyed seeing the video, thank you!
By my calculations and taking into account Moore's Law, we'll probably be ready to tackle this project by the time TS18 makes it's debut for doting Trainzers using quantum hybrid PCs!
PC

Thanks guys for all your help and i will take this into consideration as i have gotten TransDem so i might just shorten the amount of tracks and length

AmtrackFan, did you see the link to Martynas' version of these impressive coal yard facilities?
He's done an outstanding job of reproducing the yard as far as I can see from his screenshots and comparing them to current Google Earth views.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showt...ss-screenshots
Awesome!
Not sure how well they'll run in TS12, but the track layout in an earlier version of Trainz Simulator is very impressive.
Cheers!
PC

Last edited:
Back