Could Trainz ever join Sim City?

mezzoprezzo

Content appreciator
The graphics and building models are looking pretty good in the ad for this edition of Sim City. Click here.

They even have moving trains.

I wonder if it would be possible to achieve graphics this good with fully operating Trainz functionality?

WOW -- I recall the first sim city way back, etc ... I have not bought a sim city game for a while -- this one looks awesome!

As for your answer:
I would guess in time since technology changes --- And the N3V would have to use a different jetengine to run the game with high detailed graphics ---

The only one that can really speculate on a real answer is Chris!

All in all, if trainz ever achieve such detail graphics it'll be real cool!!!

Regards
Ish

That would be cool. I am waiting for the download to happen tonight. I purchased mine months ago on prerelease. I was able to participate in a couple of betas and this program is phenomenal. Now if N3V could use some of the graphics from the New SimCity and perhaps integrate a version of their Glass Box engine, we'd have quite the train simulation. Glass Box is the "intelligent" pathing for AI agents that run in the background of the simulation.

http://www.simcity.com/

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog

John

Coming from the days when 48K of RAM was considered adequate, and 16 color displays were all the rage...

I also remember Bill Gates telling us that nobody should ever need more than 640k of memory.

So the answer is yes, but it would require a complete ground-up re-write of every piece of code. So while it's possible, I don't expect it to happen in the near future.

I must say I liked the destructive power of the meteor strike in one of the subsequent videos. It brought to mind the Trainz Smite command!:D

However, despite their “improved” graphics engine, the trees look really awful. Oh well, I guess it is supposed to be a City rather than Landscape game.

... I am waiting for the download to happen tonight. I purchased mine months ago on prerelease. I was able to participate in a couple of betas and this program is phenomenal...

John,

Having read this thread I took a look at the SimCity sites and I must say it looks very good, but of course the videos are sales orientated! I'm tempted to get a copy but I see that the DRM requires you to have their client installed and be online to run the sim, as you are clearly an experienced user of the game do you find this to be an issue in any way? (I've seen the "Steam" DRM slow PCs down to a crawl).

Chris

A Wor(l)d of Caution

Just read in a second-hand review that the new SimCity requires a constant connection to the publisher's servers - lose that, and the game freezes immediately until the connection is restored.

Now, I'm not a SimCity player (or Trainz multi-player) but I do read the agony posts on the forum here about troubles with the N3V servers on multi-player. Sooo.... what if a multi-player connection were mandatory, even to run your own solo local session?

Be careful what you wish for - always good advice.

Just read in a second-hand review that the new SimCity requires a constant connection to the publisher's servers - lose that, and the game freezes immediately until the connection is restored.

Now, I'm not a SimCity player (or Trainz multi-player) but I do read the agony posts on the forum here about troubles with the N3V servers on multi-player. Sooo.... what if a multi-player connection were mandatory, even to run your own solo local session?

Be careful what you wish for - always good advice.

I have the program and I was connected all last night (well early this morning). The connection is quite fast and it's not like a constant data feed when downloading content. The Origin servers (EA's equivalent to Steam) is on the data server back end. Part of the reason for the back end servers is to enable some of the data calculations and information that can be handled elsewhere and updated locally - this is a true client-server environment. This relieves the burden of the local machine running these background tasks as the simulation is running these things elsewhere. This also allows true interactive connectivity with other users on a global scale.

I do understand what you're saying though regarding the constant connection, but overall this is the direction that computing is going. It seems we're heading in a completely circle from CRT VDTs connected to a mainframe now back to "intelligent" workstations connected to a wider network and a centralized computer center.

John

Here is how you successfully enjoy Sim City. Play either Sim City Classic, Sim City 2000, Sim City 3000 or Sim City 4. 3000 is my personal favorite. Ignore Societies as it isn't made by Maxis and it is junk, and ignore the newest Sim City, as it is pretty much "The Sims: City." Also the always online, even for single player, thing is stupid.

Here is how you successfully enjoy Sim City. Play either Sim City Classic, Sim City 2000, Sim City 3000 or Sim City 4. 3000 is my personal favorite. Ignore Societies as it isn't made by Maxis and it is junk, and ignore the newest Sim City, as it is pretty much "The Sims: City." Also the always online, even for single player, thing is stupid.

you know it's funny i hated sim city but now seeing the new one it looks like a better game to the old versions but saying that the last time i played that game was a old version can't even remember what version it was it's that long ago since i played it LOL

Don't think much of the new Sim City thank you! I'll stick to Trainz thanks! (I liked the original Sim City though.)

The DRM itself is a deal-breaker, but what I liked about the older Sim Cities was giving myself essentially unlimited money and building the city the way I want it. Unless that capability exists in this new version, it probably isn't even worth getting a non-DRMed version.

And I couldn't care less about multiplayer.

Before discovering Trainz, I was heavily into Sim City (through Sim City 4).

The reviews on Amazon of the latest Sim City release are coming in fast, and overall they're running about a 1 point something stars out of a possible 5 stars. Much of the criticism relates to the need for an always-on internet connection to overloaded or unreliable servers even to play in single-player mode.

Last edited:
Sim City is currently being ripped a new one on Amazon UK and US. Never seen so many one star reviews. No one wants a single player game that requires you to log on to a remote server each time you play. What happens if you want a quick game on the move or you're lodging away from home? A useful lesson for N3V/Auran - don't ever consider this type of DRM/copy protection for Trainz or your userbase will evaporate.

As regards a Sim City type mod or offshoot for Trainz, well now EA have dropped the ball on their product it is time to dust off Gregg Lane's idea of a "Boss" module but enhanced to include wider aspects of town management. Heck, just a decent updated Transport or Railroad Tycoon would be very welcome.

...Sim City is currently being ripped... ...Never seen so many one star reviews. No one wants a single player game that requires you to log on to a remote server each time you play... ...A useful lesson for N3V/Auran - don't ever consider this type of DRM/copy protection for Trainz or your userbase will evaporate...

I have just been just checking the web for responses to the launch of the new Simcity and it appears, from what I have read from a variety of sources, this has been a total disaster due to the always online requirement. It appears that EA have just shot themselves in the foot with both barrels, I hope N3V take note of this and never go down the road of (DRM via) an always online connection.

Back