Questions from 'Unregistered' users

BLACKWATCH

Mechanical Engineer
I have noticed an increase of questions on these forums from people who have no registered version
of Trainz showing in their 'timeline'.
Does this mean that there are more pirated copies or 2nd hand resold copies out there ...................
................ or are new users just too thick to read the basic instructions about registration ???????

I have noticed that this problem has increased on a parallel to the increase in Ipad - tablet - Android use
along with the increase of younger American (kids - 10 year old etc) "this crash two trains is Cool" - here is my
cool route (1 blank baseboard untextured with line falling off the edge or cliff) which is sh*t, and just clogs
up the dls bandwidth.

Time the paid overseers of the dls at N3V did the job they are paid for & sorted out this crap before it
polluted our beloved sim.

I think, Kevin we're seeing a bunch of things here just as you said, but I don't think they're pirated copies, but more people enthusiastic about using the program and not following instructions. In some cases it maybe that the parents are purchasing the program for the kids and letting them go at it. In this case the software may not get registered because 10 year-olds don't always (well mostly) follow instructions about software registration. This too would coincide with the versions you mentioned along with that age group. I say this knowing my nephew and niece being in that group and having gadgets like that.

I agree these piss-poor routes have a lot to be desired. I avoid downloading them and don't even bother to look at the preview pictures if I can help it. As far as policing this, it would be quite difficult because of the shear volume of stuff that gets uploaded. N3V doesn't have the luxury of extra hands (eyes) to peruse the DLS uploads like they used to.

John

It could very well be just a case of your second paragraph. In other words, no pirated copies but people buying the cheaper versions that are out there. Auran is quite proud of the 1 or a few dollar per game thing, but this will undoubtedly attract a more casual gamer. I would see this as an opportunity to introduce those people to the wonderful Trainz world that is also out there, they might just stick around then ;)

To me, it would make sense to have a single account for all the services (Planet Auran and the forums) related to Trainz. After losing and retrieving my password before my return here it seems they are seperate yet connected?? If possible, it could be a good idea to have posting priviliges only for people who have registered copies of the game attached to their account.

I also find it encouraging that kids are finding their way back to trains as a hobby, because where I live it's mostly old farts like me. I say: welcome them even more because they are the future of model and virtual railroading. And we all know: once this bug bites you it will not ever let you go!

Last edited:
It's actually a bit of both, as certain users have been identified as pirates through interrogation/enquiries in the past.

Best thing that can be done in my opinion is simply to advise such users to register their version(s).

Shane

The best thing is not to help such users UNTIL they register. If I see a new user whose name I don't recognize, the first thing I do is check to see if they have a registered copy. If not, I'll politely ask them to do so. Unfortunately, somebody usually chimes in and answers their question anyway, but it's worth a try.

Incidentally, I've noticed that about 9 out of 10 times, said unregistered user never registers their copy, nor replies to the thread, whether or not their question is answered.

While it might be a tough step to take, maybe it is time people only get posting status after they have registered a copy. Leave the pages visible which are currently available "read only" if not logged in, to see what Trainz is about, but no ability to post.

The Helpdesk is accessible outside the forum for those who genuinely have a problem in registering their product this day and age if you buy a secondhand PC game, when most software has to be unlocked or verified with some form of on-line check, you shouldn't be too surprised if it can't be used a second time.

As someone who has resolutely supported Trainz over the years, purchasing most versions and pretty much continuous FCT membership it is irksome and irritating to know there are people trying to run the game who may not have put anything back in towards future development.

I don't see how it is possible to pirate a Trainz disc ?

I think you have to have a virgin disc, and have a never before regstered 24 digit code, in order to install Trainz.

The general trend seems to be one of natural selection. Some of the "unregistered" seem to try it on, get limited help with their initial enquiry (including the need/how to register), then disappear under firm but fair pressure from Trainz members.

Others seem to be grateful for the help given with their query, take heed of the advice to register and do so.

It’s the high post count, unregistered posters, which are the most irritating. The more they post without their registration appearing on the time line, the more suspicious it becomes that they have an illegally downloaded version. If the vBulletin software can do it, perhaps there ought to be a limited number of posts allowable for unregistered people, beyond which they will be blocked from posting.

...maybe it is time people only get posting status after they have registered a copy. Leave the pages visible which are currently available "read only" if not logged in...

I agree to some extent but what about the genuine person asking for advice before buying a version of Trainz or asking how they register ? OK, the Helpdesk is available but we all know they are under a lot of pressure and can't always get round to replying straight away.

I don't see how it is possible to pirate a Trainz disc ?...

Sad to say but it's possible to pirate pretty much anything !

P.S. As you can see I've paid for all my Trainz versions, plus a few add ons that don't show in my timeline :).

...It’s the high post count, unregistered posters, which are the most irritating...

So true.

...If the vBulletin software can do it, perhaps there ought to be a limited number of posts allowable for unregistered peple, beyond which they will be blocked from posting...

A good idea, if it's possible

I think that unregistered users should be limited to read-only status, at most.
If they have problems registering their legitimate copy, they can contact the helpdesk anyway and solve their issue.
I bought almost any new release of this great game since i discovered it in 2002, a series of FCT (plus a lifetime FCT) and I'm looking forward to TS14, and I'm doing my best to promote Trainz in Italy. Like Vern, I'm quite upset anytime I see running the game without contributing to its future.

Hi All
Any account without a registered Trainz serial number has posting access to only a very small section of the forums. I think it may only permit them to post in the General Trainz forum, and maybe the Prototype Talk, and Community sections of the forums (not checked for a bit).

We will not be preventing people without serial numbers from posting in these forum sections, as there are many people who ask valid questions, which are best handled via the community (e.g. asking which version they should look at).

We also do not plan, at this stage, on censoring the DLS uploads. There are those who may be interested in some of these, and there is no requirement for you to download uploads that aren't of interest to you.

Regards

Time the paid overseers of the dls at N3V did the job they are paid for & sorted out this crap before it
polluted our beloved sim.
Since you have no idea what their job responsibilities are, you wouldn't know if they are doing the job they are paid for or not.....which makes the comment irrelevant.

I am a member of several automobile Forums and the rule there is no registration, no posting. They are read only.

My first copy of Trainz was a five disc CD set of TRS 2006. Never could get it to patch to TRS 2006 SP1. About gave up on Trainz until I found TRS 2004 for $5 in a bargain bin. Which led to the Merscom Edition of TRS 2006 SP1 along with TC 1 & 2 in the same bundle. TS 2009 was a mistake, TS 12 was a mistake by a loved one.*
To this day, I prefer TRS 2004. Tell me how registering it helps? No support anymore. Am I a pirate because because it would be useless to register it?*
Not everyone lives their lives through these forums and the DLS. I was on dial up internet for many years making a FCT pretty much useless for me. Sorry, game access through the DLS meant nothing. I preferred the "black" pages to download a route to even see if it was worth pursuing. If it was, download the track and terrain textures and modify from there.*
Now that I build my own routes, I care even less for the DLS. I have a DVD full of what I consider the best content in Trainz. That includes Trunda's trees and older Jointed Rail signals. My Mac Trainz copy has all I need built in to amuse myself for years to come.*
You forum hounds really need to find something to do with yourselves. Not everyone who uses this program lives on here searching for consensus. If this is your life, a computer train game, I feel bad for you. Might even start releasing years of my never registered TRS 2004 routes I built to give you bleeding ulcers.*
So sad and why this forum is dwindling. Argue and find consensus amongst yourselves. I'm halfway through rebuilding Tidewater for my fun.

Dave......

The rest of us have a use for the DLS*, don't have dial-up™, and aren't sticking with ancient versions of Trainz©. Plus, there is no point in giving help to people who very likely have a pirated copy*, regardless if it's a supported copy or not®.

The rest of us have a use for the DLS*, don't have dial-up™, and aren't sticking with ancient versions of Trainz©. Plus, there is no point in giving help to people who very likely have a pirated copy*, regardless if it's a supported copy or not®.

Enjoy the 5 people left on this forum, then. Cry amongst yourselves.*

Back