Erroneous assets in DLS

obirek

First, I apologize for opening this thread for an issue which has been discussed on this forum over and over. Perhaps I am too stupid to use the Search function, because I either get 0 or 500+ results and nothing in between. If I try to be more specific I get an error that the keywords entered are either too short or too long.

Now to the problem - I tried to download some content from DLS, specifically for TC 1&2, as the latter flavor of Trainz comes with very little built-in content that can be used to build anything else than few miles from Boston and New York (the version should be renamed as "New Heaven" or similar). I ticked the appropriate box and searched for the content. Then I opened my Content Manager Plus utility and there I keyed in kuid found on the download station. I always do so, because I found DLS page very inefficient for downloading, plus it does not show asset view which is worth more than ambiguous description. After downloading I found that some assets have errors. I am not particularly upset about the errors, but about lack of commitment to fix them by their authors and lack of mechanism to show if an asset has an error prior to downloading. Situation was the same six years ago when I joined in and nothing has been done to improve it. It is very hard to live knowing that the future won't be any better.

For instance, asset "Water Tower 1", <kuid2:60238:27149:2> by vulcan. It has three type of errors:

1/ Non-permitted tags
2/ Missing textures
3/ Discrepancy in the size of the primary and alpha textures

Usually I can fix the error type 1 by removing the offending tags from the asset configuration file. Still, it would be better if DLS run periodical check for this kind of errors and flag them.

Error type 2 I used to fix by scanning files in my local content containing the name of the missing textures and if I get a match, including one of the files found in the asset content. But this method is a bit like assuming that a person by the name John Smith is the one you know.

For error type 3 I read many excellent tutorials how easy it is to fix and I spend great deal of time to teach myself how to do it. But it was few years ago when I did it last time and I don't want to go through the same pain again.

The only practical solution is to remove the erroneous assets from my local content. What a shame, as some are of such good quality and they could be valuable addition to my routes.

I've just checked the asset in 2012 cm, at build 2.7 it's ok for you and it shows no errors at all. Suggest delete and download again.

Hi

I have Asset updated to 3.4 no errors no warnings.
you want you got it , that simple...send e-mail...

Gerry
1/ Non-permitted tags
2/ Missing textures

AH..... errors can be fixed in about 5min withPEV's AssetX

Hi

I have Asset updated to 3.4 no errors no warnings.
you want you got it , that simple...send e-mail...

Gerry
1/ Non-permitted tags
2/ Missing textures

AH..... errors can be fixed in about 5min withPEV's AssetX

That's really great. But some of us are new to Trainz.

Maybe you could provide a bit more detail???

Obirek,

Let me explain what's happening so you understand where things have come from. Some of the older content, not all older content, will have errors in the configuration files. Starting with TRS2006 and up, by then AURAN and now N3V Software, increased error-reporting was introduced to the simulation. This caused what appears to be a massive amount of broken content. The so-called errors were always there. It was that the older versions didn't report the errors and muscled through them. Muscling through the errors may seem like a good idea as it kept the simulation running headlong no matter what. The problem is this can cause massive performance problems. It's bad enough that our computers have to contend with drawing images on the screen and parsing the AI scripts to make the simulation work. What it shouldn't have to do is read through and skip over errors in the assets. This only adds to the processing times and can truly cause crashes, and TRS2004 and other versions would crash to the desktop. So, the way around this was to increase the error reporting and prevent assets from being loaded. This helps prevent the bad stuff from bringing the simulation down while running and keeps things running smoother.

Now, here's the problem. Not all the errors are the content creator's fault. In many cases, people copied the original config.txt files. Because errors were not caught and reported, the errors went unreported so the files and format were duplicated across many hundreds of assets. The other issue too is standards changed, formats and tags were added, and eliminated. This now causes other issues since what worked before is now broken, and only introduces a bit more fixing.

So after saying this, the repair process is relatively easy. There is/was a program for updating assets in place. This is on hold at the moment as Zec Murphy mentioned probably due to the work on the new service pack, which believe me is more important than fixing assets! This program is to bring all the older content that's up on the DLS up to the current standards and make it all error free.

To repair content yourself, you will need tools from Peter V. PevSoft's Assetx, Quick Shadows, PM2IM, etc., along with some good text-only editing tools. I use notepad, sometimes ConText, and also a search and replace tool. I have noticed that if a certain error occurs in a particular creator's asset, then other assets by the same creator will have similar or same errors. By using search and replace tools, tags can be updated or removed in bulk, and in many cases fix 100s of assets in one shot. Others require adding or removing graphics files, or updating the graphics to uncompressed formats.

Actual mesh-errors, and animation-related errors cannot be repaired as these affect the model directly. The only way to repair these is for the creator to edit the original mesh file and repair the model.

At this time, the only errors I can't seem to repair are script-related. This is because I have very little programming experience, and don't understand the syntax of the scripting language.

John

Errors in asset <kuid2:60238:27149:2>

I've just checked the asset in 2012 cm, at build 2.7 it's ok for you and it shows no errors at all. Suggest delete and download again.

As per your advice, I deleted the asset "Water Tower 1", <kuid2:60238:27149:2>, and downloaded it from DLS as a CDP file via a FTP link. Then I imported it into CMP, committed and got the following errors (see below). Errors 1 and 2 indicate that some required files are missing. Clearly these files were not in the Content Dispatcher Pack. Why were they not included there? If this is so easy, a five minute job, why nobody has done it?

Error: Could not load texture 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\int=masked'.
Error: Could not load texture 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\night/int=masked'.
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\ladder-ladder.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\lattice-lattice.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\metalreflect-metalopaque.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\night/ladder-ladder.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\night/rail-rail.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\rail-rail.texture.txt'
Error: The tag 'name-hu' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'scenery')

As per your advice, I deleted the asset "Water Tower 1", <kuid2:60238:27149:2>, and downloaded it from DLS as a CDP file via a FTP link. Then I imported it into CMP, committed and got the following errors (see below). Errors 1 and 2 indicate that some required files are missing. Clearly these files were not in the Content Dispatcher Pack. Why were they not included there? If this is so easy, a five minute job, why nobody has done it?

Error: Could not load texture 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\int=masked'.
Error: Could not load texture 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\night/int=masked'.
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\ladder-ladder.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\lattice-lattice.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\metalreflect-metalopaque.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\night/ladder-ladder.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\night/rail-rail.texture.txt'
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content 2tlinkt119\rail-rail.texture.txt'
Error: The tag 'name-hu' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'scenery')

Actually, the first 2 errors are due to a typo in the relevant .texture.txt file(s), where an invalid syntax/option has been added. As for the others, it's a matter of checking the relevant .texture.txt files.

Shane

Hi John,

thanks for the detailed answer. I understand your points, but errors will always reflect poorly on the software developer, no matter what arguments are brought into discussions. In addition to the problem described above, there is another one and quite common too.

Yesterday I downloaded three assets:
Palletised Panasonic Boxes,<kuid2:60238:26035:1>
Palletised Samsung Monitor Boxes,<kuid2:60238:26036:1>
Palletised Cannon Printer Boxes,<kuid2:60238:26037:1>

After committing I haven't got any errors, but in Surveyor only the second asset is displayed. The other two show spline yellow circles, but nothing in between. There is absolutely no hint on what could cause this. As these assets are one of many alternatives available, I am going to delete them and look for a replacement. I would rather have ten times less assets, but keep my content clean. With Trainz, less is sometimes more, I learned.

Many thanks for the time and effort you put into assisting me in this matter.

Actually, the first 2 errors are due to a typo in the relevant .texture.txt file(s), where an invalid syntax/option has been added. As for the others, it's a matter of checking the relevant .texture.txt files.

Shane
Could you be more specific? I will take a note, so I won't bother to ask you or others the same question again.

1/ What syntax exactly (please quote), in what file and what is the correct format, e.g.:
In file xyz, replace all occurrences of string s1 with string s2. I need to know what is xyz , s1, s2.

2/ What do you mean by "checking the relevant .texture.txt files"? I can see names of the files in the error list, but what are the primary and alpha textures and how to make sure the files are of the correct size? Again quoting an example would be the best way to describe the method on how to fix this type of error.

The box splines are very old models, and standards for spline models have changed. You need to open the faulty splines for editing and change the name of the .im file to default.im to make them work. Leave the Trainz build as 2.7. If you made the build 2.9 the DLS would not accept these models - they have to be converted to stitched track assets for higher builds.

Ian

Most likely the asset is for TRS 2006 and below, that is why the errors are showing, the requirements to make it work in TRS 2006 are much different than they are for TS 2009, 2010, and 2012.. Since you are a TS 2009 user, I just suggest switching to compatability mode to allow such assets to work.. TS 2010 also has that feature, but Trainz 12 does NOT have that feature. The errors look fairly fixable. So why not give fixing it a shot?

Could you be more specific? I will take a note, so I won't bother to ask you or others the same question again.

1/ What syntax exactly (please quote), in what file and what is the correct format, e.g.:
In file xyz, replace all occurrences of string s1 with string s2. I need to know what is xyz , s1, s2.

2/ What do you mean by "checking the relevant .texture.txt files"? I can see names of the files in the error list, but what are the primary and alpha textures and how to make sure the files are of the correct size? Again quoting an example would be the best way to describe the method on how to fix this type of error.

1. What seems to have happened is that someone has missed a 'H' in one of the files, but it takes time to find out which one as each of them must be checked.

2. You will need to open the .texture.txt file mentioned in the error (which can be accessed by opening the asset for edit) to find this out.

Shane

Another asset with errors:

DS Suburban House 03 [Detailed] Trainz Classics 1 & 2
Created by: domsarto
File Size: 323.37 kb
KUID2: 342053:25075:1
Date: 24th Mar 2011
Downloaded: 18992

Please note that according to DLS this asset is for Trainz Classic 1&2. When I download it and commit I get these errors:

Error: Could not load texture 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content gbbtcukn497\nightmode/int=semitransparent'.
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content gbbtcukn497\nightmode/main-nightmode.texture.txt'

I think the first error is caused by missing file or incorrect file name. Probably I have this file in another sub-folder of local folder. But what is the file name? As to the second error, I have no idea how to fix it. Long time ago I came across some instructions on this forum, but I can't find it anymore.

If possible, please show me an example, as this is the best way to learn how to fix the problem. You know how to fix it, but I can't read in your mind and so far it was like reading Chinese.

Set your cm to automatically commit, use file, settings, miscellaneous. Should be 2 options with it.
I think this may be why your getting faults. Again I have that asset and it shows no faults, 2012 cm being more stringent.

Another asset with errors:

DS Suburban House 03 [Detailed] Trainz Classics 1 & 2
Created by: domsarto
File Size: 323.37 kb
KUID2: 342053:25075:1
Date: 24th Mar 2011
Downloaded: 18992

Please note that according to DLS this asset is for Trainz Classic 1&2. When I download it and commit I get these errors:

Error: Could not load texture 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content gbbtcukn497\nightmode/int=semitransparent'.
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'c:\program files\auran\tc/local/content gbbtcukn497\nightmode/main-nightmode.texture.txt'

I think the first error is caused by missing file or incorrect file name. Probably I have this file in another sub-folder of local folder. But what is the file name? As to the second error, I have no idea how to fix it. Long time ago I came across some instructions on this forum, but I can't find it anymore.

If possible, please show me an example, as this is the best way to learn how to fix the problem. You know how to fix it, but I can't read in your mind and so far it was like reading Chinese.

You're on to something here. I've had this problem before on other assets where one of the textures was forgotten or not copied. Check in the main folder for the same texture and copy it to the nightmode folder if it exists.

I'm glad you understand where things come from I agree that this does not reflect well on the developer, but through the repair program in place, eventually all these errors will be eliminated.

John

I'm familliar with this error (the first one), and it is not a missing texture. It's actually a typo, as explained above.

Shane

P.S. I've a feeling that the problem file is mentioned in the second error.

Last edited:
Automatic commit does not fix the errors

Set your cm to automatically commit, use file, settings, miscellaneous. Should be 2 options with it.
I think this may be why your getting faults. Again I have that asset and it shows no faults, 2012 cm being more stringent.

My CMP is alredy set to automatically commit assets after downloading. If 2021 CM does not show this kind of errors, this means that the asset is not TC 1&2 compatible and it should be re-classified on DLS.

Back