Article: Gone but not forgotten

That's a wonderful eulogy Tony. I was still "wet behind the ears" in those days. It's amazing how far Trainz has come since then. I'm sure Barney would be proud to see his contributions recognized here. Those were the good old days.

Barney, you're the man.

Cheers

AJ

This is sad news indeed. Many of us were wondering what had happened to Barney in recent years as he stopped posting. We shall never forget his horror when his forum post count promoted his beloved "Krokodil" avatar to the next icon.

The train sim world has lost a much loved and larger than life character.

Rest in peace, old friend.

Three cheers for Barney and all those who made trainz so cool for us..as mentioned, we should not take things for granted as mentioned.

I remember Barney. and how he was a kind with his comments; It was one of the first to greet me when I first joined the forum back in 2001, etc ... Although passed on, I am sure that he took his love of trainz in his heart in his endless journey!

Ish

Thank you Tony for your elogius peace of history .
About Uncle Rob, it was "That's all there is to it" .
May TrainZ keep that friendly and enthusiastic atmosphere .
Rest in peace, Sinister Fat Controller, and keep your Krokodil in the paradise ...
Philippe

I remember Barney. and how he was kind with his comments; He was one of the first to greet me when I first joined the forum back in 2001, etc ...

Although passed on, I am sure that he took his love of trainz in his heart in his endless journey!

Ish

Tony,
I learned through Vern about the passing of Barney and your eulogy on the "new" Trainz forum.
Like many others from back in the early days I recall Barney's involvement in Trainz with affection and pleasant memories.
It is sad news such as this that makes us pause and think that yes, we are all getting older and each is as mortal as the next.

Thank you for the good words about someone whom, like most of us, I never met in person but whom I considered to be no less a friend.

Regards from Canberra.
Bruce Kennewell

Whilst I may not have known Barney, it's always sad when a Trainzer is no longer with us. Prayers go out to those left behind.

Shane

Thanks Tony. You described the early days of Trainz very well and it indeed was a very special time, one which I will always remember fondly.

A fitting tribute to a retired trainzer, and a special glimpse into the time that was.

Last edited:
Even though I joined in here three years later, I also have vivid remembrances of Barney's Sunblowing versus Whining well-intended sermons.

Long Perennial Recognition to all the Trainzy pioneers (on both sides of the deal: sellers-customers), even though some of them cannot be digitally among us!

The good 10-year-old memory side of Alberte :wave:

I too remember Barney and I am sorry to hear this sad news. When I joined, the Sinister Fat Controller was one of the welcome crew that accepted me into the community. I agree with Ed. This is a fitting tribute to a retired Trainzer.

John

This is most upsetting. Barry's site was one that I frequented regularly prior and just after the release of MSTS and Trainz, and one of the reasons I got into train simming in the first place.

My sincere condolences to Barry's friends and family.

Marc

I haven't been on these forums for several years and it was only an email about some errors in my old content that brought me here tonight.
Reading this is strange, a little sad and a chance to look back at the fun we had when Trainz was new and growing fast. I didn't post a lot but you certainly felt like you knew everyone back in the old days from their posts. As soon as i saw the name it all came flooding back, especially the Krokodil.

My last meeting with Barney in the late November last year in Zagreb. Of course, we talked mostly about Trainz and he asking what I was doing, in which phase was repaint's what I worked. I quietly asked him to health and he don't gave any indication that he was wrong.

Now really missing with his clear advice, without his big help.

I hope that somewhere up now happily riding a Krokodil

Have only been here since the summer of 2002 so I missed out on those really early days with the Brew Crew. Condolences to his family.

Back