Destroyer

Hi all,
Thanks for all your comments and info on your other interests. I firmly believe it is important to have other things to do so I do my best. Sometimes it is hard though if my spine is going through a bad patch or other joints are playing up badly so then it has to be a sitting down hobby of some sort, usually shooting at this time of year.
The accordion arrived today and I am trying (not very well...) to re-familiarise myself with sheet music. Hell, has it been THAT long since I last used it. Now I am almost starting from scratch again. And with a new instrument that makes it harder because at distance I can't read very well without cloe-to glasses, not what you want on when playing! But I am starting to chord and getting the hang of the 72 buttons I cannot see with my left hand, not bad in a couple of hours I suppose. But each learning session needs to be fairly short even sitting, so it may take a while.

Interesting that you, Sean, can play several instruments as well. Now your education has ended for now perhaps you will get time for both Trainz and some music?

And Dave, I am hardly a 'rocker', a maverick waltser maybe... My Farfisa was a lovely 'studio' organ, 2 levels of full keys and a whole raft of switches that did all sorts of things. The spearker rotated to give a 'vigrating' sounds to the notes and was very pleasant to the ear. Sadly all the reeds needed replacing which would have cost a bomb and at that time I was halfway through a divorce, so it went to that great organ place in the sky.... I miss it.
The accordion is quite different to play and needs the right hand curved onto the keyboard which of course is vertical, so that needs a bit of getting used to.

Sawyer811, make sure the crew of the Hood keeps a weather eye on that big beast of a ship, the Tirpitz. But I am sure the standing patrol would warn her if the enemy started to creep inshore. Good luck with that route and scenario.

Angela

Hi Sean,
Here is a texture map from my Cardiff station....

I made 2 maps for this model, one as above and another for all the stonework on the building. Make each texture file first, I make them as jpeg, and then start a new File in the same window of your graphics package (mine is PSP) to the power of 2, that is 2, 4, 8, 16 and so on. One that will hold a lot of textures like the one above is best made big. The texture files you are going to add can be any size but best to be small or as small as you can get away with without losing detail. Add each and then save the big new file out as a TARGA and your main texture map, in this case they were named CS_Main_Texture_Map1 and CS_Main_Texture_Map2. You can call them whatever you like as long as you know which is which for each asset you make, that is why I put the prefix letters in.

When you come to texture the model select whichever map is needed for the part in question and then UVWmap and after that UVWunwrap (the textures). It is a fiddle picking each part out of the map with the corner handles but you can put a wire frame round two, say 2 vertical ones, and move them both at the same time, it makes life a little easier.
I know many people say just use the UVWunwrap and that is all that's needed but whenever I have done that CM kicks up about it saying the model or a texture is not mapped. Mapping only tells what the object is, a Box, Cylinder or whatever, UVWunwrap actually unwraps that part of the texture map to each part of your model from the one part of the texture map.

Does this help?

Angela

Well hello there, Angela:

I did not forget you. I've been going full out building my route. It's "done", but I just can't stop fiddling with it. Now I see you're a musician, too! So many talents! Well, I have your ships docked in a couple of areas.They really are what I needed to have to make the dockyards come alive. I prize each and everyone of them.

Take care, don't get yourself stuck in the house all day,

Cheers.....Rick

Hi Sean,
Here is a texture map from my Cardiff station....

I made 2 maps for this model, one as above and another for all the stonework on the building. Make each texture file first, I make them as jpeg, and then start a new File in the same window of your graphics package (mine is PSP) to the power of 2, that is 2, 4, 8, 16 and so on. One that will hold a lot of textures like the one above is best made big. The texture files you are going to add can be any size but best to be small or as small as you can get away with without losing detail. Add each and then save the big new file out as a TARGA and your main texture map, in this case they were named CS_Main_Texture_Map1 and CS_Main_Texture_Map2. You can call them whatever you like as long as you know which is which for each asset you make, that is why I put the prefix letters in.

When you come to texture the model select whichever map is needed for the part in question and then UVWmap and after that UVWunwrap (the textures). It is a fiddle picking each part out of the map with the corner handles but you can put a wire frame round two, say 2 vertical ones, and move them both at the same time, it makes life a little easier.
I know many people say just use the UVWunwrap and that is all that's needed but whenever I have done that CM kicks up about it saying the model or a texture is not mapped. Mapping only tells what the object is, a Box, Cylinder or whatever, UVWunwrap actually unwraps that part of the texture map to each part of your model from the one part of the texture map.

Does this help?

Angela

Hi all,
Thanks for all your comments and info on your other interests. I firmly believe it is important to have other things to do so I do my best. Sometimes it is hard though if my spine is going through a bad patch or other joints are playing up badly so then it has to be a sitting down hobby of some sort, usually shooting at this time of year.
The accordion arrived today and I am trying (not very well...) to re-familiarise myself with sheet music. Hell, has it been THAT long since I last used it. Now I am almost starting from scratch again. And with a new instrument that makes it harder because at distance I can't read very well without cloe-to glasses, not what you want on when playing! But I am starting to chord and getting the hang of the 72 buttons I cannot see with my left hand, not bad in a couple of hours I suppose. But each learning session needs to be fairly short even sitting, so it may take a while.

Interesting that you, Sean, can play several instruments as well. Now your education has ended for now perhaps you will get time for both Trainz and some music?

And Dave, I am hardly a 'rocker', a maverick waltser maybe... My Farfisa was a lovely 'studio' organ, 2 levels of full keys and a whole raft of switches that did all sorts of things. The spearker rotated to give a 'vigrating' sounds to the notes and was very pleasant to the ear. Sadly all the reeds needed replacing which would have cost a bomb and at that time I was halfway through a divorce, so it went to that great organ place in the sky.... I miss it.
The accordion is quite different to play and needs the right hand curved onto the keyboard which of course is vertical, so that needs a bit of getting used to.

Sawyer811, make sure the crew of the Hood keeps a weather eye on that big beast of a ship, the Tirpitz. But I am sure the standing patrol would warn her if the enemy started to creep inshore. Good luck with that route and scenario.

Angela
I usually try to get on the piano fairly often, when I'm not stuck Trainz or outside, occupied with something, usually playing basketball, a sport that I have very little talent for but enjoy anyway. As for the mapping tutorial, I use Google Sketch-up, never could figure out Gmax, I tried but it just wouldn't work out. Sketch-up is by far the easiest I've encountered so far. Hopefully I'll find the tool you're referring to, or something similar to it, in that program. If not, then I hope that the PEV tool I use to get them out of sketch up and into trainz does it for me. Wouldn't that be one heck of a feature! Oh and the tirpitz, that wouldn't happen to be the German ship that I have the Hood raining all hell down on right now would it?

Good day Sourther1851,
Yes, it is the German WWII battleship, the only one as far as I know. I don't think they had an earlier ship named after him and certainly not in the First World War. However, there were many interesting ships in that earlier conflict that I am interested in and they do have very different armament layouts and a unique look about them.
I didn't realise you worked in Sketchup, sorry, I assumed (for some unknown reason...!?) you used Gmax.
How far did you get in Gmax? Could you put an object on the 'board'? The really hard part is texturing and once you have that sorted then you can really get on with it.

If you enjoy doing something, especially a sport which is good for you, it really doesn't matter if you're good at it or not, enjoyment is the important thing.

Have a wonderful day,

Angela

I think I had a large arrangement of odd shapes all over the place, but nothing that really looked like much. I find it hard to put shapes together, or draw for that matter. That's why I enjoy sketch-up. I can draw and put things together. I need to get back on that naval battle, last I checked the Hood had just caught the wooden deck of the Tirpitz on fire.

There is so much more variety of options at fewer polys in Gmax than Sketchup. I had a look at Sketchup and dumped it and went back to using Gmax.
Nothing is actually 'joined together', as you put it, although it is possible to 'Weld' things but I have never used that. Gmax will work quite happily with the Create Button and what the list gives you, Box, Cylinder< Tube, Plane and so on. I simply place one or the other on the Board and fiddle with it until it is the right size then Move it into position. That is the simplest way of making something like a house, a collection of Boxes of different sizes and thinknesses. A big one for the main part of the house and smaller thinner Boxes for doors and windows. The roof is just a box as well the way I do it, the main difference is I put a Length Segment in it so it can have the middle (the segment lines) raised. To see these lines just hit f3 and the Box will go into wireframe mode.
Add a few more boxes of various sizes for chimneys and you have a house, simple as that.... the texture part is the tricky bit.
If you would like to try Gmax I am always here to help with an array of pictures and text to help you over any obstackles. Why not give it a go, you have nothing to lose - well just your sanity, that's why I am as daft as a bat...!!
I had a conent creator who (and who shall remain nameless) was my Guardian Angel for a while and that got me using Gmax and making content in no time at all, a couple of weeks.

Blessings,

Angela

Back