Photobucket changes!

mezzoprezzo

Content appreciator
Is anyone else having problems with the size of their Photobucket images?

In the past couple of days I’ve noticed that the maximum size for my posted images is now limited to 1024x768 regardless of the size originally uploaded to Photobucket.

I’ve always submitted mine at 1378x861 resolution because that nicely fill the screen (well mine anyway). They always linked to the forum at the same size. Now, the images are reduced in size.

This doesn’t appear to apply to all Photobucket users. Looking at the metrics of some other members’ images, they are still larger than mine.

Photobucket are currently revising their software to an “upgraded” version where lots of functions (like statistics) no longer work. The beta version is being offered as an alternative on a voluntary basis. I've persevered with it, after initially resisting the change, and written to them about the shortcomings. The new version becomes compulsory soon.

Imageshack imposed a limit on the number of stored images a couple of years back, so I moved away from that site.

I prefer to use a hosting site which preserves the screenshots without restrictions on the number, and doesn’t close the account if it’s not used within a certain time. It's disappointing when reviewing old posts to and find that images have disappeared from other members’ posts. It’s even more irritating when the lost image was showing a technical solution to a problem.

Here’s hoping Photobucket sorts this out, otherwise it looks like I’ll have to look for yet another alternative free hosting site.

Thanks for the link, but that just gives advice on how to use Photobucket.

I can see nothing that allows you to increase the size the newly imposed smaller image links to the Forum.

Thanks for the link, but that just gives advice on how to use Photobucket.

I can see nothing that allows you to increase the size the newly imposed smaller image links to the Forum.

There is a forum there where you can post questions about Photobucket. Probably get a better answer than here on the Trainz forum.

Hmm haven't used Photobucket for some time as I mainly use Image shack, however I've just had a look at this new, for want of polite description "Mess" plus had a look through the 13 odd forum pages of complaints, a lot from paying customers. Can't imagine why they have messed up a working system. The size problem, perhaps something to do with gadget users?

Image shack now has a 5GB limit on the free account as opposed to number of files, I'm personally no where remotely near that and although they have made some changes lately it all still works pretty much the same.

Thanks for the information Malc. :Y: I hadn't realised the Imageshack limit had been revised.

I've been back to my old Imageshack account. It's still active and I can now upload much more after hitting the previously set image limit.

I haven't bothered with the Photobucket forum. Forum protests rarely get anywhere.

I'd already given the company direct feedback at their request when testing the beta. It's been ignored so far. I'm fed up with the site, so it's "vote with your feet" time.

Now back with Imageshack.

Cheers
Casper

Last edited:
Have you considered an alternative picture upload place? Like most ISPs one has his/her internet account with have some web space for their users available, from where one could either operate a small web site or use this as a picture holding/display space. Many ISPs here in Australia can give me anywhere from 5 MB to 20 GB of web space for me to use for such purposes as stated.

There are also a myriad of free web sites being offered, googling for "free web sites" will display these, which can be used to store images for displaying in the forum here. I use a pay web site space for my screenshot displays, which cost me only $50.00 a year. As one can see, there are alternatives available, even Hotmail or GMail and I guess other email services have image storage space available, the choice of using any of these is yours.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

In your pb restricts image size based on kb/mb size rather then pixel dimensions. If your image file size is to lare it'll be resized down to a 'legal' size. A pro count will allow you to lift that restriction.

peter

I have always mainly used Photobucket apart from a brief dabble with Imageshack.
But Photobucket folks have fixed a product that didn't need fixing, it was working perfectly well and had some nice features.
Now it is difficult to do things and takes an age. To get the destroyer pictures I uploaded today took several attempts and now it is necessary to enlarge the subject image within Photobucket in your Album before you can select the options for placing an image anywhere else, it is a real fiddle now whereas all that was needed was to place the cursor over an image in your album and the options appeared.
Many companies do it, fix things when they are not broken and it puzzles me why when all they get is a whole bucketful of complaints.
But I remain faithful and hope that one day soon the whole mess will be returned to the way it was - but I think that quite unlikely.

Angela

Have you considered an alternative picture upload place? ~snip~
Yes I have. I’ve used others but have always wanted a site which allowed long term storage. Some delete accounts if they’re not regularly used (e.g. Hostthenpost). I’m usually internet free during the summer months, so in my case such an account would lapse through lack of use.

In your pb restricts image size based on kb/mb size rather then pixel dimensions. If your image file size is to lare it'll be resized down to a 'legal' size. A pro count will allow you to lift that restriction.

peter
Photobucket have stated that the limit for Forum posts is now 1024x768 with free accounts. Going Pro, IMHO, is not a wise option with the way the system is currently running.

Imageshack, however, seem to have positively reacted to demand.

After Malc’s advice I’m now back in and using their site. I already had 500 Trainz images stored with them, but previously couldn’t add any more without deleting others, which I didn’t want to do. It’s a pet hate of mine seeing broken links in old posts which might be useful.

Now, I still have all of the old images preserved, plus I’ve only used 0.07GB of Imageshack space used out of the now allowed 5GB. Should be good for a few years!

I doubt that Photobucket will miss me.

@angelah
Well I'm glad it's not just me!

I can never understand why, when a company has a good product, they have to take the revolutionary rather than evolutionary route.

I guess it will all settle down eventually, but possibly with fewer customers. It's so easy for users to make the switch and there's plenty of competition.

Last edited:
As a Photobucket user myself I quite agree with the comments here - if it aint broke, why fix it?

That said, I think that 1024 x 576 is a reasonable size for screenshots, they don't look too bad. Besides, are we allowed to use larger sizes than this?

Paul

I've been dissatisfied with Photobucket for a while and really appreciate this thread. Went to ImageShack and was impressed by how simple and intuitive it is. I think I'm signing up there.

Thanks for this thread.

Bernie

I've used P'bucket for ages and been happy, but the changes do seem completely needless. Why you would turn an easy, intuitive interrface into a slow and comlex one is a total mystery - perhaps it will evolve back as time passes!

There is (or was) an option somewhere to upload larger images on a free account, I haven't checked to see if that option still exists, and @ Paul size restrictions in the s/shots forum were done away with a while back....

Welcome to technology, the world of never ending software updates. :hehe: I wonder what site will be the next target of a slew of updates............................

I have never used photobucket, I have always used imagshack. I just wanted to see what changes were done to photobucket so I looked and found this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photobucket
Now I always read a wiki with a grain of salt(so to say)but one thing that got my attention is this part,
The free photo dimension limit is 1024x768 pixels when displayed on the Photobucket website or linked to another website, but larger, original images can be downloaded from the Photobucket website provided that they were uploaded after the radical overhaul of Photobucket in February 2013.Any original images in excess of 1024x768 that were uploaded prior to February 2013 will no longer be available in their original size, even to the account holder that uploaded them.

I dont know if this is true but if so I wold be seriously mad. Would somebody here be willing to let the rest of us know if this is true?

Kenny

Pleased I have found this thread, attempted my first posting yesterday on the UK Screenshots section & the end result was awful. Thinking it must have been my technophobia I tinkered for about an hour or so before giving up & going to bed.

Will now be looking for an alternative hosting site.

I´ve got a pro-account for Potatobucket and I dont like the new "beta" version.
This forum was the main reason to purchase that and now its limiting my screenshots to mentioned dimensions.
I´d like to use the dimensions I made, hence I would not need to edit them on my end!
Its what I have paid for!
I am really angry about that and will use hostthenpost.org until they get it running again as it used to be.
Otherwise, they are commiting commercial suicide anyway.
My 2 cents.

:eek: I have a free Photobucket account and I'm getting these dimensions. Can't believe you're getting this limitation with a pro account! What are you getting for your payment?

Paul

UPDATE

I’ve moved back to Photobucket because Imageshack are now charging for uploads.

Thankfully I've found a way of getting large images to appear in the free Photobucket account.

When you select the upload screen you’ll see a little cog in the top right corner of the upload box (see my top hand drawn arrow). LMB click on it and a dialog box will open.

In that dialog box simply check the small box (lower arrow) where it says, “Display my linked photos in their original sizes”, (which will also auto-check the 1024x768 button, but don’t worry - larger sizes will still show). The setting will be retained until you choose to change it.

Cheers
Casper
:)

photobucket_zpsc58f237d.jpg~original

Excellent advice Casper! Though at the moment I can't get Photobucket to display at all, so it looks like I'll have to wait to try this.

Paul

Back