In memoriam: Branko Špoljarić - Barney (1957-2013)

thom58

In Zagreb, Croatia, was died 14.02.2013 in 56 year Branko Špoljarić - Barney, beta tester and croatian guru for Trainz

Barney.jpg

The funeral will be Tuesday in Zagreb

Rest in peace my dear friend

This is sad news.

Barney was one of the very earliest leading lights in Trainz, with CroTrainz a valued resource for virtual railways. I'll run a Crocodile in his memory.

CroTrainz

Last edited:
Didnt know anything of him, never met him, but, hey, its a trainzer, its one of us. Its so sad to heard the pass of somebody, plus being at that age. Like RRsignal, my prayers will go to him and his family. One soul less in this world, i hope that you find the correct path to that place in that we will meet all. And i have to say that im a total Atheist, and im not trying to disturb anything, but i respect the religion and i hope that he is resting in peace now in a better place. Death is unbeatable but memory is inmortal

Sad greetings

A poignant flavour of the man.

As some of you know, I was here from the day one and yes, we were a very happy bunch. It may sound odd, but I feel we were happier and had more fun during the times when there was no Trainz, just this forum and a bunch of pictures and other teasers prepared by the Auran team. And then... the movies appeared, some of them ending with now famous Rob Shaw's saying - "That's all there is to it"

Many things were "invented" there and then. Stuff like the "Drool Mop (tm)", "Beer Train (tm)", even the "Brew Crew (tm)". Things that are still here with us one way or another.

And the only thing that really happened is time. Yes. Time. Something we cannot stop or change. The clock ticks, the great gig in the sky gets ever closer, the magic that once was is now left behind. In the past, where it belongs. I will always remember it fondly.

So, the time is to move forward. The new generations are here to carry the baton into the next decade. Don't get me wrong. Forum "oldies" are still here and in greater numbers than you probably imagine. They are just not as active as they used to be. It's the same as with the real world. Generations change. Those who were making noise outgrew their Trainz puberty years and are now in the middle age. In ten years time we will be real Trainz oldies, todays youngsters will be middle aged gentleman and new generation will step onto the scene. Probably asking the same questions we were asking in the year 2000.

That is how it should be, and I am quite happy with it. As long as I can hop into a Trainz locomotive, push (or pull) the lever and start moving along the tracks to infinity.

Thank you for reading this, gents.

Barney aka Sinister Fat Controller (tm) aka Trainz Fan until the last breath

The community has lost a true gentleman.

Funny how the virtual world of Trainz gets to you. I have known Barney since the happy pioneering days of Trainz CE. We have shared endless chats about Trainz and many other things and even if I never met Barney face to face, I feel that I know him well and I am saddened by his passing away. Amigacooke's quote is 100% Barney and the best way to remember him is to carry on in his spirit - always positive and always helpful.

Splendid behaviour!

The community has lost a true gentleman. ...
It's true! Always patient in explaining how to resolve the problem. When I had a problem I could solve I always called him, and he always gave the effort to explain to me how to solve it
... the best way to remember him is to carry on in his spirit - always positive and always helpful.
I saw Barney in early December when we exchanged some experiences and advice (our conversations are always ultimately ended with Trainz) and his spirit is away that his health even though I knew he had cancer. Until his last breath he remained optimistic that things will get better

Barney will surely be missed, he was an icon here. May his soul rest well in the arms of God.

I was looking for a proper English translation of this piece of classic Norse poetry when I posted before and finally found the right one - a worthy end note for a man of Barney's character:

Cattle die and kinsmen die,
thyself too soon must die,
but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
fair fame of one who has earned.

The Hávamál verse 75

Sad news indeed, he did a lot to help us get this show on the road and will always be remembered here.

I was shocked at hearing the news. Barney was here from the very beginning of Trainz and a big part of getting this whole community started. He will be missed.

I have paid a small tribute to his memory in this weeks post on our news page. A trip down memory lane lane that's for sure.

Sad news, really ...
Branko, you've been Krokified for ever . Rest in peace and rest assured we all remind of you in your Little Black Book ;) ...
Hope there is TrainZ in the paradize .

Philippe

I remember Barney. and how he was kind with his comments; He was one of the first to greet me when I first joined the forum back in 2001, etc ...

Although passed on, I am sure that he took his love of trainz in his heart in his endless journey!

Ish

I have not posted on here for a long time but felt I had to come and pay my respects to one of the gentlemen of the forums, RIP Barney.
Phil

Thanks to him, Trainz was a greater place to be. Now he has gone but he will live on in our memory, one of the Trainz Immortals.

Having been on these pages "almost" as long as Barney I too echo the sentiments of all. May his family rest assured that he has gone to a better place.

Back