Building a small town

enginewhistle

On Hiatus
I'm currently working on a route that has multiple small towns. What kind of buildings could I use for doing small to medium sized towns? I don't build those often enough to know. I'm just a track layer and a ground texture-er when it comes to route building :p

The character and era you are going for play a big role. A quadrant of my Mainstreet route tries to capture a gentrified version of an old town in one corner. Delete off the newer stuff for an older effect.

For the U.S., I suspect you'll want late 19th century to 40's stuff, but I can't give you more detail within knowing the characterizations you would like.

The central building in a small US mid-western or western town was the railroad station. The Central business district grew up on a street which paralleled the track, or which was more or less perpendicular to it. Note that in many small US towns, even when the railroad was not oriented with a cardinal direction (e.g., N., S., E., or W), the town as laid out was. A small town will have churches of different flavors, typically one for each 50 to 100 people. The exact associations of the churches will depend upon the area of the country, and who settled it. You will need a post office, one or more general stores, a bank or two, a hardware store, a lumber yard, one or more gas stations, a barber shop, perhaps a photographer, an attorney, a diner or two, and a physician or two, and municipal buildings--a municipal hall, a police station, a fire station, and one or more public works facilities. There will also be one or more fraternal or veterans organzitions: Elks, Eagles, Masons, American Legion, or VFW. A larger community might have a movie theater. There will be one or more schools, depending upon the size of the community. There will be a park or two. A larger community will have a car dealer or two, and there will be business catering to the local producers--farmer's co-ops, agricultural equipment dealers, &c. The larger the community, the more of each of the types of assets it is likely to have. Also, the smaller the community, the older the buildings are apt to be.

Finally, keep the density low. Where a larger community might have dwellings on quarter, third, or half acres, the smallest lot in a smaller community may be a half acre, and there might be only three or four developed a block.

Much can be gleaned from the major map sites, especially those with street view, and satellite imagery, especially if you have some idea of what area of the country you want to model. Further information can be gleaned from photo archive sites operated by local historical societies, and by local, regional, state libraries, and even the Library of Congress, in the US.

ns

For the route characterizations, i'm modelling the 1960's to the present (one of those "any era" routes) in southern Montana (but of course). Since i'm from Montana, I have the idea of what a small town along the railroad looks like.

Also look at historical images. One good source I've found are the many books published by Arcadia Publishing. I think they've published hundreds if not thousands all over the country. Those are the books with a sepia cover and black-and-white images inside. Try to find one relevant to your area. Take a look at what a quick search revealed to me:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/state/Montana

For medium distance use, David Drakes "Cityscape" or Northside/Westside/Southside and Tract Neighbourhood modules work quite well, albeit in TS12 the trees built in to the unit have the alpha (see through) issue in game.

Depends on the era, I guess. I'm currently working on a fictional UP route through northwest Texas, and I've been using Google Earth and Streetview for ideas. Currently building a smaller version of Dalhart. Streetview helps a lot to get the "feel" of it.

Depends on the era, I guess. I'm currently working on a fictional UP route through northwest Texas, and I've been using Google Earth and Streetview for ideas. Currently building a smaller version of Dalhart. Streetview helps a lot to get the "feel" of it.

I've ridden through the town a few times. There's a short rail branch and yard on the eastern (southern? I'm not sure) outskirts and a nice bridge over the highway farther away south. Also, you'll need a big water tower with a dent in it. There was a tornado quite a few years ago that flipped a piece of something or perhaps a small truck and slammed it into the water tower causing the dent. This was quite a bad storm that did substantial damage. There are a lot of damaged houses and buildings to this day in the area.

John

Finding a watertower isn't a problem; denting it is. One thing I've discovered is that doing the scenery is really booorrrrrring. Just miles and miles of center-pivot irrigators and grain storage silos. Could understand why I was so bored until I remembered that I drive that way about twice a year and the drive is just as boring. So I know I've got the feel nailed.

Back