Transfering MSTS cars to auran

Unless you are an experienced content creator for Trainz, the short answer is no.

The Long answer is contained in some Excerpts from the Link I sent in the Locomotive thread....

1:

"So let me start off with a few points.

First and foremost...for anything that you want to do for a public release-

YOU MUST HAVE PERMISSION FROM THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR.... PERIOD.
There is no getting around this point. Many people here are also MSTS users and can easily recognize a conversion.
You will be called out about it, and it has been very ugly in the past.

By not asking and securing permission, it creates animosity between groups that can assuredly cut off all future conversions.

Also, a little respect and asking nice will get you farther than you think when asking the original author (Hint Hint).

YOU MUST BE PROFICIENT IN 3D MODELING.

Whilst there is a program to convert MSTS content back to 3DS format, it doesn't convert animations.
You will also need to re-activate the texture mapping, add in helper points, fix errors, flip normals, make newer parts, seperate bogeys from the main mesh and make them a seperate entity, etc.
With the capacity to have better textures and more polygons, some of the converted content will not look as good as something made from scratch.

The program that does the conversion is not a one stop shopping solution.

WRITING CONFIGURATION FILES

You will need to be proficient in writing configuration files for the content, they won't have one that works with Trainz."

2:

"Doing MSTS conversions are actually complex and follow the same content creation process as a new model with a few exceptions

The first thing you will need is permission from the original authors. A lot of people here are active in the MSTS and Trainz community and will recognize the content and call you out about it....I have seen it before and it was ugly.

Once you have spoken with the original author they might still have the original gmax or 3ds max files and graphics file to send them to you.

If it is in 3D Crafter / 3D Canvas format, you will need to see if they can export it or know someone who has that program who can load it up and export it as a 3ds file for you.

If all they have is the engine in Train Sim Modeler format, your project is dead. Nothing reads a TSM file other than TSM... it is a OLD modeling program for MSTS made for MSTS only.

Once you have a 3ds file and graphics files, that is all that is usable for trainz. None of the animations / lighting / etc from MSTS are usable, they are completely different.

From here, you will need to do clean up on the mesh... handrails / pipes / etc that are square need to be replaced by shapes that are round. Some mesh pieces aren't connected and need to be welded to other parts. Often steam locomotive drivers aren't quartered properly. Fixing this takes awhile.

Steam locomotives are notoriously hard.....lots of animations to be re done.

Once the clean up is done, then the normal content creation process can proceed, adding attachment points, animations, reapplying the textures, flipping normals, etc.

In the end, you want the work to look better than what you started with.

My advice is learn how to create first before trying a MSTS conversion. Without the content creation knowledge, you won't be able to finish the project."

Last edited:
JJstrainz ....................

May I refer you to the answer given by sourdough on the other thread where you asked the same question ........................

JJstrainz, you don't seem to address the registering issue...there is a lot more forum areas that you cannot see or access until you register your UTC version. You go to the top of the forum and click on Planet Auran, sign in there using your username and password.....at the left, under the Trainz heading, click on Serial Number and enter the serial number you received with the game. If you bought your game used, then it is possible it is already registered....if so, it will say so and you are plain out of luck since they are not transferable...:( In any case, there is not much help people can give you if you don't register a product....do yourself and others here a favor and get your serial number registered...:cool:

.............. that will apply no matter how often you ask the question.

I tried registering it but it says that it was already registered. I don't exactly remember if when I bought it it was used. I don't
have the money to get a newer version of trainz. I have my eye on TS2010 Engineers Edition boxed but for right now all I have
is MSTS and UTC.

Back