I don't get Trainz Classic?

Alan,
Ive seen the screenshots for the harlem line, but besides the M7 stock and FL9's, will there be m2/m3 stock?

The interesting part about how Trainz Classics is being done is that each new one is supposed to be an upgrade. This means that each version will have a higher version number. Each new one is supposed to have new features.

Does this mean that something created with the third version of Trainz Classics will not be useable on the First version?

Yes.

But why should that matter?

You get the third version, all your earlier stuff goes into it. And your away again.

Its always been that way. You could not use UTC in sp-3, You could not use 2004 in UTC nor 2006 in 2004.

Also, if you have TC first release, and you wait until the Fourth release of TC before getting the next installment, you have missed nothing, because version 4 will have everything that has gone before. Upgrades (improved code) and any necessary patch's, plus content.

I can't see where that is a problem.

It's certainly a better approach than we have had in the past.

As for it being a better and more stable program, that in itself would be enough to make one jump for joy, regardless of being able to use previous content.

Guy's, I know I'm sounding like an Auran appologist here, and I don't mind that. Because inspite of all the frustration with the previous program this is still a great simulation and enjoyable. (Met some great people as well).:)

But it is time to move on. If it does meen that we sacrifice some, and I meen some, of what has gone before, then let it be that. With close to 75,000 peices of content on the Dls, all of which potentially can be used in the game, being to critical is being overly harsh.

I wonder how many of Auran's competitors would take the approach Auran has with TC. I doubt any will offer the kind of backup/help/growth that we have thru the Trainz franchise.

Sorry guy's, but you really seem to be running in circles here, and just giving yourselves unnecessary headaches (dizzyness).:D <----Where's those googly eyes when you need'em.

Anyway, as our Friend Marl would say,

Have fun, (and that.....is what it's about)

Alex

I'm confused. Is "Trainz Classics" the next version of Trainz after TRS2006? Auran also sells "Trainz Routes Volume 1 and 2". From reading messages on this forum, I thought that Auran will sell versions of Trainz with new routes for people who couldn't download content from DLS. I have been using Trainz since the very first version but after trying to use TRS2006, after the hard disk crash that lost the software and data for the original forum, and staff changes at Auran, I'm afraid of buying the next version of Trainz.

TC is, as I understand, a stripped down upgrade of Trainz 2006 with the delicate bits cleared out, the unstable bits stabilized and a complete collection of materials for the specific theme of each release. It's a stand-alone program.
Trainz Routes is a separate release, with everything you need for the routes included, even if you don't have internet access or are limited to a really slow phone modem. It's an add-on to TRS06.
Both are interesting, but TC is actually tempting for the new features.

Question: Do the releases of TC combine in a single folder, or are they each separate, parallel games?

:cool: Claude

Auran also sells "Trainz Routes Volume 1 and 2". From reading messages on this forum, I thought that Auran will sell versions of Trainz with new routes for people who couldn't download content from DLS.
They're not new versions....just content from the DLS put on disks for people who don't want to or can't use the DLS...that's what TR V 1&2 is...and I suppose more volumes could be released in the future...:cool:

There still hasn't been an answer, what stocks are included with the Metro-North Harlem Line besides the M7As, FL-9s/Shoreliners I/III? I know there are the M1As/M3As, P32AC-DM, or the ACMU that all ran/currently run on the Harlem Line.

And where is the line going to/from? Does it begin at Grand Central Terminal in NYC and runs through to Wassaic, NY?

I clearly remember plenty of information, screenshots, videos and whatnot being released prior to the release of UTC, TRS2004 and TRS2006. This whole Trainz Classics thing get's a
thumbs_down.gif

Last edited:
Nobody is going to have to plunk down any money before details are finally released.....other than satisfying our curiosity, there isn't any reason we have to know right now....and for those who have already decided they aren't interested in TC, not knowing details shouldn't be a problem....:cool:

Trainz Classics is due to be released just over a month (June 24, 2007) and actual information about the new series is very cryptic. Trainz Classics does appeal to me but it certainly would be nice to know the ins and outs of TC before I purchase it, just like the old Auran used to do.

http://www.auran.com/auran/shop.htm

Hi

I've pre-ordered my copy today.

Will 04 and 06 content work in Trainz Classics?:rolleyes:

Regards

Ahsan:)

Last edited:
Trainz Classics does appeal to me but it certainly would be nice to know the ins and outs of TC before I purchase it, just like the old Auran used to do.
I can't imagine that the ins and outs wouldn't be made known before anyone decides to purchases it....some will choose to buy sight unseen...:cool:

I think the question is very important. For the answer - although maybe giving earlier in this thread - is crucial for buying TC.
I am still holding my decision for buying if it is not exactly clear that:
- all my content from 2006 can easely put in TC and after that I can throw away 2006 so it is not cluttering my harddisk
- and by easy I mean that I want a good description from Auran how to do that without fear of losing everything and starting allover
- it must be worth buying TC for improvements to 2006. I am not interested in the routes. Driving underground is not my cup of tea. I am more a steam and freight guy.
- And with that I mean will it be running better. What is really better/new?
Are there any reports to be found from Beta-testers. What is there opinion. Is TC an improvement from 2006 or just the same/facelift.
Sapper

I think if I understand things correctly the entire idea of this Trainz Classics is to bring on new blood. If we can all recall Auran not too long ago brought out Trainz Driver in order to bring on board the more basic Trainz enthusiast that did not want to be bedazzled by the likes of Surveyor etc. I think that Trainz Classics is the next idea behind this.

Trainz has obviously become more and more realistic and involved and obviously for somebody who has followed things from the start this is not a problem but for somebody starting from the ground up - the new blood - it might appear daunting. Sure enough they might get into the main routes etc etc but might be intimidated by the extras

Trainz Classics will presumably be a half way mark between Trainz Driver and TRS2006 so that the newbie can has the option of coming on board and thinking - 'ok I have done these routes, where can I go from here?'

In turn though, for the old hand, from what I have read it gives the option to import anything that was TRS2006 compatable so it should not be just a beginner product and in addition it gives Modular City V2.2, a commercial product to this point, plus additional core features.

With the first relaese it will give a bit therefore for both newbie and old hand. Then from that point it will then be built up with further add-ons.

It all makes commercial sense plus practical development sense. Think about something as I understand it - say if Auran want to add a new feature to the game - if they release a Service Pack in most instances we are talking in terms of a download - in turn that download has to be practical in size meaning that the gameplay changes can only involve overwriting files that aren't going to be massive in size to replace. If you sell an add-on to somebody that add-on can replace as much in the games folder on the hard drive as you like. I don't have access to my TRS2006 folder as I type this (on my other PC) to look at the file sizes but if an .exe file in there just requires a couple of lines of code changed to make new feature work you still have to replace that entire file - even if its 250 mb which is just limiting in conventional patch form.

I just see this as a way to develop on things without making the equivalent of 'Death Wish 12 - So Very Tired' in the form of TRS2012 say.

However, why oh why call it Trainz Classics!!!!!!!. Consciously or sub consciously every old hand looking at this has doubts over buying this titler - despite the fact it is a very good idea - because of this title. It implies a step back.

Why not Trainz (2007) Modular?

However, why oh why call it Trainz Classics!!!!!!!. Consciously or sub consciously every old hand looking at this has doubts over buying this titler - despite the fact it is a very good idea - because of this title. It implies a step back.

Why not Trainz (2007) Modular?
I would agree with much of what you speculate, and until released, speculation is all that can be done.....however, I don't think TC is a next step between Trainz Driver and TRS06, and assuming that every old hand is having doubts about buying TC is speculation at it's max....you have no way of knowing this. I think the opposite is true because of the purported improvements with each release.....I doubt that too many will get hung up on the title....:cool:

Sourdough, In a way I think we are saying much the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I certainly believe that Trainz Classics is going to be an improvement upon TRS2006 but done in a way that will bring in the newbies.

As regards old hands being put off may be I need to change my words - the better way to put it would be an old hand might do a double take when seeing the 'Classics' title. They will still buy it because I am certain, like everything Auran has done in the post, it is going to be a step forward, but just to me a different title like I suggested might have sounded more 'groovy' - just pings the interest more and just better reflects the innovation involved.

As I remember when Auran started to talk about TC, they said it's going to be a sim of mid-price, improved and with far less built-in content than TRS2006. Still, to have something to begin with, each release was going to come with a Classic prototypical route and its required content.

I can agree with that the name could be a bit more catchy but who knows, it might change over time. All in all I think it's a good move from Auran, standalone and improvements with each new release instead of patches or a huge TRS2008. We do have the DLS. I for one, am looking forward to Trainz Classics.

The thing with Trainz Classics is it is a title that suggests nothing new, instead I first thought it was going to be about re-releasing very popular existing stuff - sort of implied in the word 'Classic' IMHO. Anyways I shall pre-order it. I don't want the route but I am excited about the new features and I want to support Auran, besides its only £20.

Andy

A few definitions of the word...Classic

Merriam-Webster Dictionary explains:

Main Entry: 2classic Function:noun
Date:1711
1: a literary work of ancient Greece or Rome
2 a: a work of enduring excellence; also : its author
b: an authoritative source
3: a typical or perfect example
4: a traditional event <a football classic

So, it may be possible that definitions 2 and 3 may be appropriate for the use of the name....Trainz Classics.

Regards,
Ron

Back