A Question For The Rivet Counters

mp202

Here's my dilemma. See, I have an EMD RS1325 locomotive in the works right now but I can not find a suitable cab that fits the type of locomotive it is in. See, I am asking the rivet counters this so I don't get called out on using the wrong cab later on down the road. Can anyone help me out, please?

UrUZ6.jpg

I don't think anyone, rivet counter or not, will "call you out" as long as you're honest. There are many locomotives out there that don't have exactly correct cabs. In fact, custom cabs are quite rare around these parts. The only way I can see anyone having a serious problem is if you're planning to sell it as high-end payware. At that point, perhaps a custom cab would be expected.

Patrick

I don't think anyone, rivet counter or not, will "call you out" as long as you're honest. There are many locomotives out there that don't have exactly correct cabs. In fact, custom cabs are quite rare around these parts. The only way I can see anyone having a serious problem is if you're planning to sell it as high-end payware. At that point, perhaps a custom cab would be expected.

Patrick

They are to be distributed with a payware route, so technically it is payware. Maybe I can modify and RS1 Cab or something, flip the control stand to the other end, maybe?

Actually, I suspect an EMD SW7 cab would have a closer exterior than an RS1, since the RS1 was an ALCO product. But I agree, if you mount the cab interior 180 degrees (i.e., control stand on the right side when facing the short hood from the cab interior), you're probably pretty darn close, as these locomotives were built during the SW7 era. And if you want closer, I suspect one of the Model Railroad magazines (Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman) published plans on it and might be able to provide you with copies of the plans.

ns

Mojolner has it right, the cab is a combination of the front, sides and roof of a SW Cab and a front wall and nose from a GP series low nose, looks sloped so I would say a GP18.

Actually, I suspect an EMD SW7 cab would have a closer exterior than an RS1, since the RS1 was an ALCO product. But I agree, if you mount the cab interior 180 degrees (i.e., control stand on the right side when facing the short hood from the cab interior), you're probably pretty darn close, as these locomotives were built during the SW7 era. And if you want closer, I suspect one of the Model Railroad magazines (Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman) published plans on it and might be able to provide you with copies of the plans.

-Would you happen to know where to find them? They would be most useful If I had to make my own cab.

Mojolner has it right, the cab is a combination of the front, sides and roof of a SW Cab and a front wall and nose from a GP series low nose, looks sloped so I would say a GP18.

-Yeah I would only have to rotate the control stand and edit the back wall to have the right window layout and add a short hood.

-Would you happen to know where to find them? They would be most useful If I had to make my own cab.

-Yeah I would only have to rotate the control stand and edit the back wall to have the right window layout and add a short hood.

Actually, I would check and see if they had dual control stands.....

ADDITIONAL: There are a few comments out there that they were indeed equipped with dual controls... so you need a control stand on BOTH sides of the cab.

Last edited:
Actually, I would check and see if they had dual control stands.....

ADDITIONAL: There are a few comments out there that they were indeed equipped with dual controls... so you need a control stand on BOTH sides of the cab.

Hmmm, thats very interesting! Thanks! Even I didn't know that. I'm gonna have somebody check it out though.

N8phu,

-You are correct about the dual control stands. The IMRR's SD18's are also equipped with dual stands... :confused:

Last edited:
I would consider using the GP20 type cab, and maybe ask a couple others to help you. This one (in the picture) looks like they took the cab off of a GP20, mounted it to a NW5 hood, and swapped the stock stacks for ones from an SW1500. Often getting a few others to help you on something can make something go way beyond what was envisioned.

I would consider using the GP20 type cab, and maybe ask a couple others to help you. This one (in the picture) looks like they took the cab off of a GP20, mounted it to a NW5 hood, and swapped the stock stacks for ones from an SW1500. Often getting a few others to help you on something can make something go way beyond what was envisioned.

I will keep this in mind. If I were to copy the control stand mesh and all the levers and make the cab have dual stands, would that also transfer all the things it needs (animation,etc.) to perform in-game?

It might, though building content is not my territory. I think the best bet is to obtain the photo of the control stands, and then select an interior that's similar to what the prototype is for now while you work out how to make (or remodel) the cab interior. This way you can have it with an interior to test it with and work out the bugs that come up, but the actual custom cab will be put in at a later date. Will this one be for Trainz 2009/2010 or just Trainz 12?

It might, though building content is not my territory. I think the best bet is to obtain the photo of the control stands, and then select an interior that's similar to what the prototype is for now while you work out how to make (or remodel) the cab interior. This way you can have it with an interior to test it with and work out the bugs that come up, but the actual custom cab will be put in at a later date. Will this one be for Trainz 2009/2010 or just Trainz 12?

As I stated above, it will be distributed with a payware route, originally designed for TS12, but I might test it in TS10 and 09.

I knew it would be payware, and I hope this one goes ok for you. It's a definitely interesting engine. Thanks for thinking of us TRS 2010/2009 users, Blake. I for one like Trainz 12 but Trainz 2010 was the one that performed beyond expectation for me.

I knew it would be payware, and I hope this one goes ok for you. It's a definitely interesting engine. Thanks for thinking of us TRS 2010/2009 users, Blake. I for one like Trainz 12 but Trainz 2010 was the one that performed beyond expectation for me.

No problem. Just keep in mind, if it does not work in earlier versions of TS12, then I can't produce it for that version overall.

Scale drawings of the RS-1325 were included in Kalmbach's Model Railroader Cyclopedia - Vol. 2: Diesel Locomotives and in the June 1961 Model Rairoader but these sorts of drawings rarely have much detail about the cab interior.

According to the Locomotive Wiki:

The RS1325 was built as a "light road-switcher;" basically an SW1200 switcher on a longer frame riding atop road trucks, with a cab and short hood borrowed from EMD's concurrent GP18.

Scale drawings of the RS-1325 were included in Kalmbach's Model Railroader Cyclopedia - Vol. 2: Diesel Locomotives and in the June 1961 Model Rairoader but these sorts of drawings rarely have much detail about the cab interior.

According to the Locomotive Wiki:

Seems it was a GP18 after all. And I don't think you'll have much problem with Trainz 2010/2009, its for 2006 that you need to do the major backdating for. Only saying this bc I've backdated a few assets when I still used TRS 2006. Since most assets are configured for Build 2.9 you should be good to go when it comes to the route. Engines and cars may or may not need things tweaked on them. It's your call on what you do with the route, I'm just providing info from my own experiences with this sort of thing in Trainz.

Seems it was a GP18 after all. And I don't think you'll have much problem with Trainz 2010/2009, its for 2006 that you need to do the major backdating for. Only saying this bc I've backdated a few assets when I still used TRS 2006. Since most assets are configured for Build 2.9 you should be good to go when it comes to the route. Engines and cars may or may not need things tweaked on them. It's your call on what you do with the route, I'm just providing info from my own experiences with this sort of thing in Trainz.

Well looks like I have to do some major kitbashing for the RS1325's and a minor control stand addition to Auran's built-in SD40-2 cab for the SD18's. Thanks guys for all your help! :)

Blake, here's what I'd do if I were you. I'd send a letter, or make a phone call, to Mr. White, the GM of the railroad, and explain your interest in the Trainz, and his railroad, and in particular the locomotives, and see if you can set up an appointment to gain access to one for the purpose of making measurements, photographs, and recordings. You might have to travel to Springfield or Peoria to do it, but this is the best way to get the information you seek.

It may be that Mr. White will not be co-operative, but the worst thing that can happen is that he'll say "no", in which case you're in exactly the same situation you are not. But, if he says "yes", ...

ns

Blake, here's what I'd do if I were you. I'd send a letter, or make a phone call, to Mr. White, the GM of the railroad, and explain your interest in the Trainz, and his railroad, and in particular the locomotives, and see if you can set up an appointment to gain access to one for the purpose of making measurements, photographs, and recordings. You might have to travel to Springfield or Peoria to do it, but this is the best way to get the information you seek.

ns

That is the best idea for this project, and honestly Blake, I think this would be the best way to do it. And you're welcome for the feedback. Finally might be putting my knowledge of trains to use here.

Back