[TUTORIAL] How to merge one route with another

Hi Shane,
i am sure that my process aims at merging only TWO routes ! In fact, working on my new route, i proceed on the option "merge" and i click the name of the route (only one!) that i would merge (particularly "Municipal Transit Rail"); at the end i have a crash and the game has a breakdown. What can you tell me abaut "third rail" that appears with the two "route layers"? Why there is not the issue when i try to merge others two routes (for exemple "British midlands" with "Springfield industrial district" )? Do you think the TS12 Service pack 1 can settles the issue? Where can i find this sp1?
Again thaks!!
Max

From what I've gathered, TS12 SP1 should contain a fix for the merge issue, as I've been quite vocal in the background regarding certain TS12 issues (merging being one of them).

Thankyou for your comments though. They are appreciated.

Shane

Hey Shane,

I just hope it get here shortly!!!

Ishie

Hi,

I will be uploading a few maglev and rail track modules as well as MBM, so since these require merging, I have bumped this thread back to the front of the line!

This thread answers all questions concerning merging!!!

Ish

Thankyou for your comments (and the bump) Ish.

Other Trainzers - if there are any merging issues that the tutorial does not cover, please let me know and I will update the tutorial accordingly.

Shane

Good morning!
Thank you for the info on merging but I do have one more question. I want to merge the route I am using with an underground route and thus, parts of the underground will be below my present route. Is that possible?

No as baseboards only allow a merge alongside other baseboards. In the merge window you will see red areas, this means it wont merge at that point.

Hi,

May I ask opposite to this thread?
I can't found thread about my question.

I want to split or crop or divide a large route into several routes.

Based on tutorial #17 from youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_0V1rSfYvM
How can I split back E+T route into other. eq. E again or I or something shape of route?

There is no easy way around this sadly. You need to save multiple copies and then trim what you don't want from the sections.

A good example of this is I recently decided to split up a very large route I had merged together into one system because operating the large route turned out to be too much as I found I never did run the whole thing together anyway.

I opened the route up and saved it twice by moving a tree or two to force a save each time. Each time I saved, I called the route something else to create different versions and to keep my original route just in case the project failed.

With my routes named, I then found a good place to split the route, and carefully deleted the baseboards along that border and then then each baseboard one at a time until that section was deleted, and what I wanted remained. Once I was done with that route, I saved and closed it. I then repeated this same process again on the other route, thus, creating two routes out of one.

As a general reminder, always perform periodic saves while deleting baseboards in case there's a glitch and things crash. T:ANE isn't quite as prone to this as TS12 and prior versions are, but still it's a good habit to get into especially with big routes.

You clone a route, and name the config file username line something like: "PRR Clone" ... You work on the clone route (holding on to the original route, in case you mess up)

Paint something like red texture lines on the edges of the 720x720 baseboards of the clone route, where you want to split the route, when satisfied save the clone

Make 2 clones of the clone, and name the 2 config file username line(s) something like: "PRR Clone East", and "PRR Clone West"

On both cloned clone routes, trim baseboards off, just up to the texture lines you carefully drew on the edges of the 720x720 baseboards

Last edited:
There isn't a specific menu for trim - you have to do it manually by removing baseboards using the first tab on the right hand side in Surveyor (possibly under the Advanced button).

Shane

Ahaaa..!
Many thanks to JCitron, Cascaderailroad and Shane...

I had found this solutions (at least for me).
1. Clone the route as much as how many routes I need.
2. On a clone route, delete directly the basemaps. In TANE I have, the menu for delete is at Topology-Delete Ground.
3. All objects on the ground you deleted also will be deleted.
4. Save the route.
5. Repeat in other all cloning routes.

Thanks again.

Back