[TUTORIAL] How to merge one route with another

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Hi Trainzers,

I am pleased to announce my latest tutorial (which is on my tutorial site) which covers how to merge one route with another.

This has been requested by at least one Trainzer, and as a result I have created it.

TS12 users - please be aware that a bug will cause a crash to desktop if two large routes are merged together. N3V are aware of this, and it will hopefully be fixed in Service Pack 1.

The screenshots are 1366 x 768, and are taken from TS12 build 49922.

The tutorial can be found at http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/en/home/tutorials/merging-tutorial - comments on this are appreciated as it's the first time I've created a tutorial on how to use a specific Surveyor feature (with the exception of how to identify high buffer count assets).

Shane

Good Morning Shane!!

Superb merging tutorial:udrool: --- I am certainly sure that many people will find it userful -- I have a place now that I can send folks if they have issues merging my modules!!!

Thanks for the tutorial!!!:wave:

Ishie

Well done, Shane. I've had the crash issue when merging with a route consisting of four boards square (an "ocean" with nothing other than lowered height, water and a texture).

The only thing I would suggest is maybe adding a screen cap of what it looks like when the boards are still misaligned so part of it is red. It's obvious what you mean when you're actually doing it, but it might help those doing it for the very first time. Other than that, it's clearly described and the big images are great!

Ishie - thankyou for the support (and don't worry, both this thread and the related tutorial will be here for some time)

NJCurmudgeon - thankyou for your comments. I will look into adding the extra screenshot as time allows.

Shane

A note to Mac users - I've been informed that the merging facility is not available in this version, so this tutorial may not apply to those with the Mac version.

Also, Trainz Android/IOS users may also have a similar issue.

Shane

Thanks Shane again!

I will copy and paste the url and give info about this tutorial in my modules descriptions!!

Take Care
Ishie

Thankyou for your ongoing support for my tutorial Ishie - hopefully more people will read it and understand how to merge routes correctly.

Shane

Nice tutorial.

It would be more accessible if you could arrange to get rid of the wasted space down the left-hand edge of the screen. I have to turn the browser zoom down to 75% (and that's on a wide display) to see the whole thing, and the text becomes quite small. The leaf doesn't really add anything to the explanation.

Hi BuilderBob,

I will see what I can do, but as my site is template-based, I am limited on what changes I can make to individual pages without affecting the rest of the site.

Thankyou for your comments though.

Shane

Shane, Thanks for the tute. I'm particularly interested in TS12 routes. I want to upload a large route to the DLS. However, the route must be broken down into several smaller sections. The TS12 'Merge' bug eliminates that option as a practical solution for folks wanting to reasemble downloaded routes. NV3 shot themselves in the foot on that score; but I sure am interested in WHEN and IF they will fix the bug. Lots'a TS12 Trainzers would appreciate the fix.

From what I've gathered, TS12 SP1 should contain a fix for the merge issue, as I've been quite vocal in the background regarding certain TS12 issues (merging being one of them).

Thankyou for your comments though. They are appreciated.

Shane

That's one of the things I like to do - the interesting part is working out which feature I'm going to do a tutorial on next.

Shane

Hi Shane,
probably you are on the right way, but i have still any problem with my TS12; in fact almost always, although i use your process, i continue to suffer the "crash" in almost all the routes of TS12 (especially when i try to merge the route "Municipal Transit Rail" to others routes, included my new route on which i am working). If it can help you to answer me, i can tell you that at fifth step appear not two but three icon (two "route-layer" and one "third rail). Can i hope to solve my problem?
By and thanks (sorry for my bad English:confused:)
Max

Hi Max,

Your English is perfectly good to me.

Regarding the crash, this is a known issue, which is mentioned in the original post as well as the tutorial itself.

It also sounds like you've got more than 2 route layers, which means you would need to merge any layers with the same name as per the tutorial.

Shane

I've found through trial and error that I have much better luck if I can eliminate or temporarily replace objects until the merge is complete.
For example, In one route I'm working with there are many thousands of trees, but in reality only a dozen or so varieties. What I've been doing is to bulk replace each tree type with something small. I like to use gravestones. (dont ask why, but the effect is a huge graveyard! I keep a log of which gravestone is what tree, then when done I'll replace them back.
I dont know why but it has allowed me to merge (in TS12) some reasonably good sized layouts.
Your results may vary, but its been working for me.

Ok... I have two parts I want to merge together.
Merging goes fine, no problems with that.
But I need the second part to turn around 90 or 180 degrees.
The only thing I can do is to move it up and down and left and right, I see no option for turning around.
Any ideas?

:)

Last edited:
Back