Maintaining my computer

Reminds me of the time I rather foolishly left my PC running while a builder was cutting tiles for the bathroom not too far away... The two top mounted 140mm intakes didn't help. :eek:

Needless to say the aluminium backplate on my GPU is stained, amongst other heat sink blockages that took an age to clean! :hehe:

I usually try not to let my computers get dirty at all.
My laptop gets a nightly clean;
  • Rub down with 50% Isopropyl Alcohol to disinfect germs and remove skin oils, as well as of any food/grease that dropped onto it.
  • Teardown and spray the entire case with canned air
  • I take an air compressor to the keyboard so that all of the food crumbs, hair, dirt, etc. from between the keys doesn't get on the screen during transport to school
  • I use screen cleaning solution with a microfiber cloth for the main screen, and a cotton swab for the nooks and crannies on the bezel.
  • Nightly Trim
  • Nightly Disk Cleanup
  • Remove any bubbles from my case decals if necessary :cool:

My Server (desktop) goes through the same process, though on weekly maintenance day (Fridays @ 12AM EST/EDT)

And as always...
If you put your finger on my screen, I will not be afraid to start yelling at you for doing so.
I don't spend an hour delicately cleaning this machine for you to put your fingerprint marks on it. It ticks me off when my instructors/classmates do that.

• Rub down with 50% Isopropyl Alcohol to disinfect germs and remove skin oils, as well as of any food/grease that dropped onto it.
  • I take an air compressor to the keyboard so that all of the food crumbs, hair, dirt, etc. from between the keys doesn't get on the screen during transport to school
  • I use screen cleaning solution with a microfiber cloth for the main screen, and a cotton swab for the nooks and crannies on the bezel.
  • Nightly Trim
  • Nightly Disk Cleanup

My Server (desktop) goes through the same process, though on weekly maintenance day (Fridays @ 12AM EST/EDT)

And as always...
If you put your finger on my screen, I will not be afraid to start yelling at you for doing so.
I don't spend an hour delicately cleaning this machine for you to put your fingerprint marks on it. It ticks me off when my instructors/classmates do that.

That's quite a routine! So when do you finally get to sleep? :D

I'm not that crazy about cleaning, but I avoid nose nuggets and hair in my keyboard, don't allow food or drink near the computer, and wash my hands clean before using the computer. It's a rule I've always followed and never had the issue of crumbs in the keyboard! This is a habit I got into as a pianist. We keep our hand sticky-free because there's nothing worse than a dirty keyboard! I also blow the dust and dirt out of my computer case using an air compressor, and my tower case as an air filter which is cleaned quite regularly of cat dander, fur, and dog hair. My Alienware laptop sees regular cleaning with the air compressor, and being an Alienware with discrete components, it's easily disassembled for cleaning.

Way, way back in 1985 I worked in a field server department for a terminal manufacturer. I was responsible for the old Ontel terminal products which were quite old when my company had merged Ontel into them. The terminals would be sent to me for testing and repair, and on occasion I'd receive boxes of keyboards and other parts for repair from various companies. One day a box arrived from a company. In it were numerous keyboards and parts with most of them just labeled as "broke" or "broken", which didn't help matters much. Well the keyboards weren't all broke or broken. These were filled with dirt such as hair, soup, food, and a ton of unknown stuff. Unlike the keyboards today, these were high-quality units that I was able to disassemble down to their various components. The circuit boards went into a tub of DeSol (a flux cleaner/degreaser), and the keycaps went into a bucket of soapy water. When they were all cleaned up, they looked brand new, and worked perfectly fine after I replaced a few of the capacitive switches that were too sticky to function reliably. As I said, these were made unlike the cheap keyboards we have today which usually fall apart if they're opened.

John

That's quite a routine! So when do you finally get to sleep? :D

My Alienware laptop sees regular cleaning with the air compressor, and being an Alienware with discrete components, it's easily disassembled for cleaning.

Usually 11:30PM beleive it or not ;) I start at 10:30. The Air Compressor is man's best friend for cleaning computers, I tell you.
Having discrete components must be nice, though I noticed that it comes at the compromise of mobility. My 6530 has a magnesium construction (There is very little plastic on the thing) and it feels like a brick, even though it's just a little over an inch thick when closed.

• Nightly Trim
  • Nightly Disk Cleanup

And as always...

Realistically whilst the 50% Isopropyl Alcohol will remove dirt and grime it also dissolves into the plastic and softens it, this is not good. Depending on the humidity level and I expect that canned air would be very dry you may get a little static build up which is the last thing you want on electronic components. A damp cloth should be as effect if not more so for external removing dirt and grime, and although water is an excellent solvent it doesn't have the organic meaning carbon chains in the solvent which will penetrate into the plastic. Disinfectants are fun, they kill off lots of bugs but the ones that get left are resistant to disinfectants and multiply in the absence of all the ones you've just zapped so you have to be careful with them. The FDA for example recently has come out against the use of antibacterial soap.

TRIM every night? I think once a month should be fine I certainly don't think you'll notice any difference in performance, don't forget that laptops are designed to be used without being deep cleaned every day. I think you might do better to relax the regime to once a month.

On the environment side, 50% Isopropyl Alcohol is a both fire risk and can be used as an explosive. The propellent used in some canned air isn't especially healthy for you either. I assume that you handle the 50% Isopropyl Alcohol in such a way that it doesn't remain in an unvented area. The linked .pdf is one hazard sheet for handling it. Note it is formally classified as a hazardous substance.

http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1076.pdf

Cheerio John

Usually 11:30PM beleive it or not ;) I start at 10:30. The Air Compressor is man's best friend for cleaning computers, I tell you.
Having discrete components must be nice, though I noticed that it comes at the compromise of mobility. My 6530 has a magnesium construction (There is very little plastic on the thing) and it feels like a brick, even though it's just a little over an inch thick when closed.

A brick is an understatement! :D The old 17Mx must weigh in close to 15 lbs., a bit shy of my old transportable Visual V1083 Commuter Computer from 1983!

The compressor is great. It's an older "moist" compressor used for air brushing so there's little worry about static. I'm still careful and turn the power off on the power supply prior to blowing out. I do leave the system plugged in as that is a chassis ground which takes the static away. Unplugging would leave the static charge and cause a spark when connected. I've been doing this for more than a decade with no problems.

I agree, again it seems, with John Whelan. Compressed air can cause a static charge, but is of course better than a vacuum cleaner which is definitely a no-no.

John

I am not sure if this is a problem or not or if this is supposed to happen when working with two graphics cards, but I have noticed that ever since I moved my GTX 550Ti card down to the PCIe X4 slot so it can run as a PHYS X card and put the GTX 570 card in the PCIe X16 slot so it can run as the main card, I have noticed that the GTX 570 card runs alot warmer than the GTX 550Ti. I did some research on the specification of both cards and I noticed that the GTX 570 uses 219 Watts from the Power supply and has a max operating temperature of 97 degrees Celsius, compared to the GTX 550Ti that which uses 116 Watts from the Power Supply and has a max operating temperature of 100 degrees Celsius. Is the GTX 570 card supposed to run hotter than the GTX 550Ti? Along with that, I noticed that my stock CPU fans for my AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor are running louder compared to when I originally only had the GTX 550Ti card in my case.

Could it be possible that the CPU fans are spinning faster making more noise, because it's working with both of the graphics cards or could it be the wires taking up space in my case? Trainz 2010 and all my applications on the computer run great, even better than when I only had a single card which was just the GTX 550Ti but I was just a little concerned about my GTX 570 card feeling a little hot and my CPU stock fans spinning faster with a little more noise. I remember before when I just had the GTX 550Ti card in my case, 550Ti card was a little cooler in terms of temperature compared to the GTX 570 and the CPU fans were originally quiet for the most part. Below is a picture of the inside of my desktop case.

I am not sure if this is a problem or not or if this is supposed to happen when working with two graphics cards, but I have noticed that ever since I moved my GTX 550Ti card down to the PCIe X4 slot so it can run as a PHYS X card and put the GTX 570 card in the PCIe X16 slot so it can run as the main card, I have noticed that the GTX 570 card runs alot warmer than the GTX 550Ti. I did some research on the specification of both cards and I noticed that the GTX 570 uses 219 Watts from the Power supply and has a max operating temperature of 97 degrees Celsius, compared to the GTX 550Ti that which uses 116 Watts from the Power Supply and has a max operating temperature of 100 degrees Celsius. Is the GTX 570 card supposed to run hotter than the GTX 550Ti? Along with that, I noticed that my stock CPU fans for my AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor are running louder compared to when I originally only had the GTX 550Ti card in my case.

Could it be possible that the CPU fans are spinning faster making more noise, because it's working with both of the graphics cards or could it be the wires taking up space in my case? Trainz 2010 and all my applications on the computer run great, even better than when I only had a single card which was just the GTX 550Ti but I was just a little concerned about my GTX 570 card feeling a little hot and my CPU stock fans spinning faster with a little more noise. I remember before when I just had the GTX 550Ti card in my case, 550Ti card was a little cooler in terms of temperature compared to the GTX 570 and the CPU fans were originally quiet for the most part. Below is a picture of the inside of my desktop case.

It's perfectly normal to expect a higher tier of card to run at a higher operating temperature, they provide the additional performance by increasing the stream processor count, thereby increasing heat output.

The reason for your CPU fan ramping up is probably the fact that not only is your primary card a warmer card, but you have two GPU's running simultaneously. They are both kicking out heat and it is being dumped into the rest of your case if not properly exhausted. Your cable management probably isn't helping either by restricting airflow.

Jack.

Thanks. Would it be best to remove the GTX 550Ti card or to keep both cards in the case. The reason I have two cards in the case is so the GTX 550Ti can handle the PHYS X work and the 570 can handle the main graphics work. I'm not really sure how to manage the cables but hopefully, sometime during the summer when I have some time, I can learn to manage them for better airflow. Right now, my computer is on with the side door off so it can get some airflow.

I am tempted to put a removable nylon fine mesh window screening over my desktops open sides, so that bugs cant crawl inside, and blow a small powerful desk fan on the innards during summer months ... and blow it out weekly with a shot of canned air ... an air compressor tanks can contain water vapor, which can short out components, and wet dry vaaccuumms exhaust hose may propel dust particles. One should vaaccuumm the vents on a laptop every day or at least once per week.

Last edited:
Heat is additive or accumulative meaning that the overall internal temperature inside your case will be whatever is generated by all your components. The extra video card is adding additional heat and causing your CPU to run its fan faster in an attempt to cool down. The cooling ability can be impeded when the ambient temperature is high, which is a problem during the hot humid time of year as the moisture traps the heat, and the components can't shed the heat away from themselves much like we can't seem to cool down either during this time of year. This is why it's important to clean the fans and vents often because the build up of dirt will clog the vents and prevent the heat from escaping, which will make matter worse.

You might want to consider adding a couple of fans. There are various brands and sizes. Get the size that matches your case and check for quiet running ones. The worst thing you need is another bunch of noisy fans. If you don't have any additional fan plugs, you can get a splitter for a standard power connector. I picked up a couple of dual-type, meaning it handled both 3 and 4-pin fans. They cost more in shipping than the actual part so I threw my order in with my bro's when he ordered something. I think they were something like $2.00 or so at New Egg. I already had a couple of fans I had purchased but never installed. They were about $28.00 each and are super quiet. These are probably on the higher side both in quality and price.

By adding extra fans, I was able to lower my in-case temperature substantially. Now my CPU, even under load doesn't get much higher than 55C whereas before it was approaching the high 60s.

My current un-stressed temps are:

CPU 34C (I7-3770K)
Memory 32 (32GB GSkill)
GPU 27C (GTX780Ti)

They will rise up a bit while the system is in use like using City Skylines, Arma3, or Trainz.

In addition to the additional fans, I also have a tall case which helps spread things out. This helps with the heat problem as it allows for better airflow. In addition I also ran my connecting cables, such as the CPU power cable, which plug in at the top of my motherboard, and my motherboard power cable, which plugs in on the right side, behind the CPU mounting plate. This gets these cables out of the way completely as they only enter inside the component area where needed through specially created holes in the mounting area.

John

CascadeRailroad: I agree. Every once in a while, a small bug or two can make their way to the inside of the case. I always keep a small computer vacuum and a can of compressed air close by, giving the inside and outside of the case a small cleaning.

JCitron: Usually during the summer, my computer can get a little warmer than usual with the hot temperatures outside and all the humidity. I'm really going to have to invest in upgrading my case with 2 or 3 extra fans because with the added GTX 570 in the case, once the summer time rolls around, the temps in my case will be even higher than before. I'm going to also see about possibly replacing my stock CPU fan with a quiet fan which may allow for a little overclocking if I want in the future. My case has the option of adding two additional fans at the top of the case so that would hopefully bring the internal temperature of the case down a bit. I have been listening to my GPU fans, and the GTX 570 revs up a good amount once I start using trainz 2010, but when I close the trainz 2010, the GPU fan will begin to quiet down. I have a mid tower ATX case. Before I replace the fans or make any upgrades, I'm going to see about learning about case management to get a better amount of airflow.

Case management is something I learned over the years as a technician and computer room operator. Now that we have rounded cables instead of all those flat ones, this makes the biggest difference in the world. Combine that with a large-sized case and you have plenty of airflow.

Definitely look into some additional fans in the interim, especially with the warmer weather coming up soon. You don't live too far from me and we get that awful summer humidity. You might even get it a bit worse, being farther south.

Speaking of bugs inside the computer... This is quite amusing the way it's been written. In the old days, I cleaned out spider webs and some ants from computers, but never found a full nest.

http://tytags.com/Services/GreenGeek/Bugsinmycomputerantsinmypants/tabid/286/Default.aspx

John

There are more living ants weight, right now on the Earth, than the combined total weight of all living and dead humans, throughout history. It's a bugz world !

JCitron: Some days in the summer, the humidity is unbelievable to the point where it could be dangerous to have too many devices on at the same time, there have been a couple of times where I kept the computer off because the high temps and humidity outside would just be crazy.

Cascaderailroad: I saw a video the other day. Even though ants are very tiny along , they are definitely strong and smart and outnumber us. It's definitely a bugz world with all the other types of bugz out there.

Here is a dumb question..or two: Is there somewhere in Windows 8.1 where I can view my CPU temp. or do I need a 3rd party app.? And also, is it just as bad to be TOO COOL for a CPU or is that even possible?

Here is a dumb question..or two: Is there somewhere in Windows 8.1 where I can view my CPU temp. or do I need a 3rd party app.? And also, is it just as bad to be TOO COOL for a CPU or is that even possible?

The answer to your second part is now it is not possible to run a CPU at too cool a temperature at least on a normal PC. Some over-clockers use liquid nitrogen to cool over clocked CPUs to keep them stable which is much cooler than you would normally experience in the home.

In answer to your first usually there is specific software used often supplied by the motherboard manufacturer however I'm not aware of all the nuances of Win 8.1 and it maybe possible.

Cheerio John

If a PC is operated below 50 F to 32 F that can be bad, even worse is at freezing (32 F) or below, as batteries won't charge in Antarctica sub zero weather.

Back