Get gradient tool does not work

obirek

I am building a new route in TC and I noticed in some cases the "Get Gradient" tool in Surveyor does not return correct value.

In the picture below I have two sets of splines on a two-directional line, connecting a road crossing and an industry enabled passenger station, separated by about 10 meters of track. According to Surveyor "Get Vertex Height" tool, both sets have vertex height of 7.0 m. So the track between these splines should be perfectly flat and gradient should be zero. But the "Get Gradient" tool shows gradient of 0.02%. The mini-map shows the same value. The "artificial" slope is negligible, but annoying and it may pinpoint a more serious flaw in the simulator design.

Did anybody else noticed a similar problem too?

gradientproblem.jpg

On both sides of the road/rail crossing are the heights 7.0m, and are the road spline points also 7.0m ?

Where your tag shows 0.02%, that could in reality, be a "bow-up" in the center (even if the gradient showed 0.00%), if spline points are at a lower elevation, farther down the track (which are not in view).
I thought I had gradients all figured out ... now I wonder ?

All gradients actually bow-up, or bow-down, where different gradients meet.

Last edited:
yep, the tool does work, possibly too well! .02% is in effect level, it represents a gradient of 1 in 5,000 or about a foot a mile! On a 'real' railway that would be pegged as level track...

As cascade says, the chance of your spline vertex attached to an object being exactly the same height as a spline vertex is slim. Spline vertex height is +/- .01, object vertex height is +/- .05 Also the track attached to the object is in effect 'straightened' which can change the vertical geometry of the adjacent track segment, inducing a slight vertical curve. Also if the track segment headed out-of-frame top right is not also 'level' then there will be a vertical easment between the two 'same height' vertexes leading into the grade. You can check that if the gradient tool reads -.02% measured inside both vertexes...

Last edited:
Back