South Wales Main Line

One more thing is Cardiff Central station gonna be a passenger station or just a normal station i need to know before i start newport

Not quire sure what you mean by this? If you mean is it passenger enabled then no, this is only the station building itself with the bar attached, no platforms. I might have a bash at the platform buildings but I don't have mamy good shots of them and that makes it difficult
I have a night mode problem, I get 'default-night' not allowed or is obsolete. This refers to the config so I am at a bit of a lass. Can you sent me an up-to-date 2010 config? I used 2010 to make the CDP which is then converted into a 2009 asset, but for some reason it is throwing a wobbler with that tag line.
I have used V 2.8 and the version in the config.

Angela

It doesn't matter the station building will just be great, i made the platforms for the station but i may have a twidle with them though they do not look quite right yet. When will the station building be on the DLS?

It doesn't matter the station building will just be great, i made the platforms for the station but i may have a twidle with them though they do not look quite right yet. When will the station building be on the DLS?

I am getting a tag line error for night mode. Defaul-night obsolete. Don't know how to fix it on the configs I have, I need a 2009 one so I can change it to suit.

I have asked on here for help but none has been forthcoming and that makes me a little cross, plenty want the station but nobody replies to a plea for help.

So it will just sit here until somebody does as there's nothing I can do about it.

Angela

I am getting a tag line error for night mode. Defaul-night obsolete. Don't know how to fix it on the configs I have, I need a 2009 one so I can change it to suit.

I have asked on here for help but none has been forthcoming and that makes me a little cross, plenty want the station but nobody replies to a plea for help.

So it will just sit here until somebody does as there's nothing I can do about it.

Angela

Angela, is that a typo in your post or is the typo in your config ? 'Defaul-night obsolete'. Would you like to send me your work for me to look at? I dont claim to know what the problem is but a new pair of eyes looking at it may help? I can PM you my e-mail address if you like?

Regards, Andy

Last edited:
Angela, is that a typo in your post or is the typo in your config ? 'Defaul-night obsolete'. Would you like to send me your work for me to look at? I dont claim to know what the problem is but a new pair of eyes looking at it may help? I can PM you my e-mail address if you like?

Regards, Andy

Hi andy,
And thank you for replying.
I am leading you astray, my fault, should have marked the part off that is the error coming back in 2010 CM.
It is not default-night obsolete, it should read the tag 'default-night' is obsolete. It is referring to the tag line, or maybe part of the night section in the config that deals with night mode.
I used this config in other 2010 assets a while back, most of my pubs for instance, and it never came up in those so I am assuming Auran have changed something for 2.8 version config files.

Here is all the relevant parts of the config :-

username "Cardiff_Station1"
kuid <kuid2:87158:2504:1>
height-range -100,100
kind "scenery"
light 1
description "The main station in Cardiff, Wales."
category-keyword "station"
author "Angela Jane Halliday"
category-era "1800s;1810s;1820s;1830s;1840s;1850s;1860s;1870s;1880s;1890s;1900s;1910s;1920s;1930s;1940s;1950s;1960s;1970s;1980s;1990s;2000s;2010s"
category-region "UK"
category-class "BC"
mesh-table
{
{
mesh "Cardiff_Station1.im"
auto-create 1
}
}
default-night { This is the line I think
mesh "night/night.im"
night-mesh-base "default"
}
thumbnails
{
{
image "Cardiff_Station1.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
}
kuid-table
{
}

If you can point a finger I would be grateful and Cardiff can go up.

Angela

Thank you Blackwatch for your PM. Again, sorry I missed it.

At least some folk on here are willing to help and that has raised my spirits.

Check my thread in the Freware section called 'Coming soon to a UK route near you' and you will see some more new content. Some has already gone up but Staines station hasn't yet. It won't have night mode as that produces too many problems on that particular station with lots of guard rails that should have light reflecting off them but it won't of course. Juts one small utility building to add and then it's done.

Blessings to you and all those that have offered help,

Angela

Angela, Try changing your brackets slightly as shown below. You have 2 brackets before 'default-night' and I think you only need one, but also put an extra bracket after night-mesh-base "Default"

Regards, Andy

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "Cardiff_Station1.im"
auto-create 1
}

default-night
{
mesh "night/night.im"
night-mesh-base "default"
}
}

Hi all,
Thanks to BLACKWATCH the station has just gone up to the DS. With a few alterations the config worked perfectly.

4Andylloyd; taking the { out did not work I am afraid, that threw up even more tag line errors. Still, thanks for trying.

So Alloco, the station should hopefully be on the DS soon, probably midweek.

Have you looked at Newport station? Crikey moses, that is some footbridge they have put up there! And a pig to make I suspect.

I am off altering the night modes for the other 'Cardiff stations', the ones that will have direct platform access rather than a subway from the main building and two without the bar the same as stations 1 and 2. That should give quite a few alternatives for Trainz users.

Good luck. How is it progressing?

Angela

Well you were going to have a big project originally alloco and can understand limiting the idea. As most will know, I have been plodding away at the whole of the Northern Ireland Railway and done five and a half of the six lines and it can be a struggle. I also have track over the border right down to Dublin (no scenery yet) and hoping I am not being too ambitious. What I find is helpful is having wee breaks as long as not too long or you find an excuse not to go on!

Large routes can get boring and cause loss of interest. My WCL sections have taken years so far and there's no end in sight. And that is an important thing, having an end game otherwise it can get very disheartening. I took a long break from it due to these reasons and have only returned recently.
Another important factor is that over time Trainz changes so my sections were started in TRS2004 and have gradually been imported into later versons to see how they might be affected. There have been spline configuration problems.
The reason I went for sections initially was the limit on file upload size, which I believe is 50 Meg. You can reach that surpringly quickly if you create anything like a detailed route and I personally think N3V should reconsider this point. But there may be other reasons best known to them for a file size limit so I am not knocking them.
So an important point when deciding to build any factual route is 'where will it end and how large will it be on my drive?'
Many people have begun a large route that has fallen by the wayside for one reason or another, boredom, finding the right assets, personal time available and so on. It is very easy to bite off more than can be chewed with Trainz because it is relatively easy to use in comparison with the competition, which is one of its endearing factors of course and why we all love it so much.

Angela

Guys, i am just gonna do Cardiff and Newport PLUS- Mabey Severn Tunnel Junction. Swansea is just too far

One more quick thing cana any one make Newport station footbridge

One more quick thing cana any one make Newport station footbridge

Yes, it is a real beaut isn't it. Might be a pig to make. I can't volunteer at the moment, I have too much one. How long will it be before you need it?

Angela

Last edited:
I have to say that Angelah has a goodly point about big routes. My first attempt (not on the DLS yet) is a 250 odd board whole city tramway and the present projecton Nothern Ireland Railways is another challenge. You really do have to have breaks or you would go bonkers. One Trainzer told me ages ago that he has started different routes then had tio give them up. So I make a poo[int of regular stops but not too long or you wil surrender. Fortunately, I got my stubborn streak from my mother!

Another tip for longer routes is don't lay too much track without doing some scenery. It is relatively easy to push on and lay 70 - 80 miles of rail, then suddenly the daunting task of painting textures and placing 3D items along all that length hits you. More than one of my projects has started with great enthusiasm only to hit the delete button when faced with all that work. Plan on doing no more than 10 miles of track before doing some basic scenery treatment (you can always add more detail later). That will also give some indication as to whatever you're doing is convincing enough to carry on and worst case scenario if you do lost interest after 30 or 40 miles, might still have a viable route to publish.

<<<<IKB has already done a considerable amount of work on that route, but he has lost interest in it & has released it as
an Alpha to anyone who wants to finish it. but there are one or two stipulations.

I suggest you contact him, it could save you a lot of work.>>>>

The South West Wales route (1950-1960) should not have been released by IKB. This is my work and always has been and I can prove this fact if needs be. It is still work in progress and has been for a long time. It should not have been released without my express permission. Since giving him a copy there have been many changes to the route.

If you are serious about route building then please contact me. There could be some useful exchange of information or even collaboration.

I'm not surprised he's been removed from the forums with actions like this.
Friends!! Who needs them.

<<<<IKB has already done a considerable amount of work on that route, but he has lost interest in it & has released it as
an Alpha to anyone who wants to finish it. but there are one or two stipulations.

I suggest you contact him, it could save you a lot of work.>>>>

The South West Wales route (1950-1960) should not have been released by IKB. This is my work and always has been and I can prove this fact if needs be. It is still work in progress and has been for a long time. It should not have been released without my express permission. Since giving him a copy there have been many changes to the route.

If you are serious about route building then please contact me. There could be some useful exchange of information or even collaboration.

I'm not surprised he's been removed from the forums with actions like this.
Friends!! Who needs them.

That was very naughty. If ever I get a mesh sent I treat it with the respect it deserves and never ever use it. I could use the config though suitable altered but would even ask about that first.

But if the route is yours then why do you say contact IKB? Surely the correct route would be through you?

Angela

Back