Re-installing TRAINZ

RailPilgrim

Wannabe Driver
On my old PC, I had Trainz 2009 & 2012 installed on a different physical drive (drive G) than the OS.(drive C) Following a crash :'( and subsequent replacement of the main drive (C), I was wondering if there is any way to restore Trainz without having to re-install from scratch?

Is there some sort of 'repair' I can do that will bring it all back to life? Or is re-installing the only road? :(

thanks
Ron

On my old PC, I had Trainz 2009 & 2012 installed on a different physical drive (drive G) than the OS.(drive C) Following a crash :'( and subsequent replacement of the main drive (C), I was wondering if there is any way to restore Trainz without having to re-install from scratch?

Is there some sort of 'repair' I can do that will bring it all back to life? Or is re-installing the only road? :(

thanks
Ron

Hi RailPilgrim,

I remember once way back in the TRS2004 days I took a copy of Trainz to a mates place just to let him see it, I copied the files on to his drive, didn't actually install it, and it ran ok with no registry entries. I don't know if TS2009 and TS12 will do the same but it might be worth a try. Just navigate to your trainz directory and create a Trainz.exe shortcut on your desktop then see if it will run.

Cheers,
Bill69

As Bill says it's no problem.
Open the TS12 folder, open the bin folder and scroll down to the trainz launcher icon @2140 kb. R/click and send a shortcut to desktop.
Installing anywhere but on the same drive as the O/S simplifies matters a lot.

Thanks guys.
All prayers were answered. Trainz 2009 & 2012 are both working again. Nothing lost that I can see.
What a relief.:D

Hi RailPilgrim,

I remember once way back in the TRS2004 days I took a copy of Trainz to a mates place just to let him see it, I copied the files on to his drive, didn't actually install it, and it ran ok with no registry entries. I don't know if TS2009 and TS12 will do the same but it might be worth a try. Just navigate to your trainz directory and create a Trainz.exe shortcut on your desktop then see if it will run.

Cheers,
Bill69

I remember when you did that. Wow that was quite some time ago. :)

John

Only difference between TRS2004 and the later versions is the registry entries - Trainz uses up to 7 of them for file association purposes (apart from TRS2006, which stored Content Manager settings in the registry too).

Shane

Shane,
So does 2009 & 2012 require registry entries? Or did you mean that 2004 used them and the later versions didn't? (except for 2006 content manager settings.)
If it is just file associations, can these be set via File Explorer?

thanks,
Ron

Shane,
So does 2009 & 2012 require registry entries? Or did you mean that 2004 used them and the later versions didn't? (except for 2006 content manager settings.)
If it is just file associations, can these be set via File Explorer?

thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron,

Sorry for jumping in for Shane. :)

The file associations can be repaired in File Explorer (Windows Explorer in Win 7 and below). You have to do this too with your browser to ensure proper downloads of CDP files as well otherwise you'll end up with garbage on the screen as the browser tries to open the file instead of saving it or passing it over to Content Manager.

John

Don't worry about jumping in - I cannot be there every single second of the day...

Basically though, most versions of Trainz use registry entries, which for versions apart from TRS2006 is mainly file associations.

Shane

Thanks again everyone. If it is just the file associations, I had already fixed .CDP files manually. (didn't know about .CDP2 though)
I used Shane's trainzprotocolchanger to set these again - just in case. (a great utility and a lot of other goodies on your site too)

Ron

Back