switchstand modification

BN1970

Trainz Plus Beta Tester
This post is directed at those who created the animated switchstands (particularly Tlanders, who created the CNR switchstands as the stand is the model I am looking for).
I am trying to reproduce a route covered by the CB&Q railroad in the early 60's but cannot find the proper stand with the target that matches Q standards. If someone that has the stand mesh would be willing to rework the mesh a little to change the stand target (just the target only, the actual stand and the switch lamp is just fine as is), I would be much appreciative. The route just does not look right with the circular targets. Here is a picture of what the target looks like; if you need measurments of the target, I can get those also. thanks.
102970_zps74ed5c5a.jpg

The CNR switchstands I created were based on the Racor 17B, for the tall, and the Racor 20 (I think), for the short. You might want to double check the CB&Q specs to be sure there aren't more differences.

I actually have a CB&Q switchstand out in my backyard (my wife hates me, lol). I will go out and see which type it is and get back to you. Maybe I'll take a pic of it and post it here.
EDIT: I took a few pics of it and have posted below. the target measures 3 foot by 8 inches; it is 5 inches from the top of the target to the bottom of the switch lamp.
DSCF0495_zps506ad0a3.jpg

DSCF0496_zps5543ccb9.jpg

DSCF0497_zps1ce15bd9.jpg

DSCF0498_zpsbc4e5627.jpg

Last edited:
That is the greatest backyard ornament ! Your wife should be happy ... I have a broken down 1981 Honda Accord as a backyard ornament.

Your neighbors "Worlds Largest Windchime", and "Dead Tree Ornament" as also interesting ... does it light up with ropelight ?

Lately, I have been using a similar: RSP Switchstand , and 36NG Groundthrow, by Slugsmasher, as they have an interesting "KaChink" sound with the animation.

Last edited:
That is the greatest backyard ornament ! Your wife should be happy ... I have a broken down 1981 Honda Accord as a backyard ornament.

Your neighbors "Worlds Largeest Windchime", and "Dead Tree Ornament" as also interesting ... does it light up with ropelight ?

Lately, I have been using a similar: RSP Switchstand , and 36NG Groundthrow, by Slugsmasher, as they have an interesting "KaChink" sound with the animation.

Sure wish my wife could see it that way (world's greatest); but she puts up with me, lol! Yep, the neighbor's Dead Tree Ornament lights up w/a ropelight (maybe I could do that with my stand, oh wait..she's loading the gun now, better not! <chuckle> But seriously, I was glad I rescued this one from the scrap heap; when I first hired out as a brakeman I worked a dark territory for several years that had these type of stands with foot pedals also and had kerosene switch lamps on the top. If Tom could come up with something like this one, it would be the finishing touch on my route, as I am trying to recreate that dark territory stretch and it just doesn't look realistic without those stands.

Sorry dude, that's not a Racor 17B. Not even close.

The ones I based my models on were a 17B (Tall) and a 20 (Short) that were lying in the weeds just on the property line of the former Canadian National Railways motive power shops in Stratford, Ontario.

Raised lettering clearly indicated they were made by a Canadian company, under license no doubt, in Niagara Falls, Ontario. So they might be unique to Canadian rails.

Tom

I believe you are right. I had some conversations with others and we came up to the conclusion that it is a Racor #4 stand.

Number 4 was pretty much the standard for CB&Q. It was patented by CB&Q and probably made by Racor and others. The number 4 was 7' 6 1/2" high from the tie to the top of the lamp tip which would go a little ways into the lamp.CB&Q standard dated 29-Apr-48 calls for a 36" wide and 8" high target mounted 2" beneath the bottom of the the lamp tip which is about 5" high. The target was supposed to be painted red on both sides and the mast was supposed to be painted red on the target side and green on the "normal" side where the target attaches.

Back