Philadelphia (Work In Progresss) (Large pics)

t8dagr8

Good day everyone, I want to show some pics of my project. All credit goes to anyone who has built something I am using, the only thing "original" I hope to create is 30th street. Since this is my first try, my goal is to eventually release a 30th street station for everyone to build their routes from. If this is too unfinished to start showing, then I apologize. If there is interest, I'd be happy to update this when I have something to be shown, I have plenty of pics, unfortunately, the stars of those pics is mostly the track work, very little scenery yet while I learn how best to do them. I just was inspired seeing new photos of the NEC, Tons of work still to be done:
Thank you for your time, I only seek to add to the community that has given me tons of enjoyment through this simulator.

Last edited:
There is a YARNish L2.1 road that you can use. It'll blend more seamlessly with the YARNish intersections.

Thank you all for the encouragement. More pics to come in a little while. I was nervous and left some things out. I would like to thank all of the previous NEC route creators (Neuman, TPR, and Wridenour) for being an inspiration. I strive to acheive the quality you all have put out there and I have far to go. The most important thing I want to get right first is the trackwork. I do want to capture the same experience you get riding the rails here. Certain scenery is a must to me with this route, but the majority of it I would like to leave in your hands (about as much scenery as the Wilmington to Baltimore route available). Of course, the transdem textures will be replaced with proper textures, I have started in a couple areas, but they are the couple areas I am sure of. Until yesterday, I saw no one else's perspective of trying to recreate the zoo interlocking. I need to get wayy better in my tunnels and bridges and welcome all suggestions. I am using the PRR maps, Google, Bing, and OSM to try to get it all right. I can't call it purely prototypical. I added an extra junction near Trenton because it was the only way to run Amtrak and Septa with AI without interference or an error at their (my) proper speeds. The foundation of this project was just recreating all the regional routes, but when Stratuspheretrish took a break, I added Trenton through New York. Believe me, I am keeping things small. My focus is to get 30th street right first, but to keep from this becoming a job, I take a ride around the system to relax, that's why there is so much now. I am at home disabled, so I get to work on this mostly all day everyday. Pictures to come in a little while today. Thank you all for your time.

Thank you very much Cascade. I have seen those all, but what I needed and got yesterday from MLP's pictures was someone else's translation into Trainz relating to how the heights make the zoo interlocking what it is. I plan on asking your help on quite a bit, but I would like to try some things myself first. With relation to the roads, a thread pointed me to multi-lane one direction roads, and that's where I started. I would rather use the Yarn set, but I can't get the same direction results. I am reading into ATLS, but it's hard to understand for me right now. At one time wiring AJS animated junctions was just as hard to understand, which I can now do. Anything not matching in my route is an eye soar to me (walkover at Trenton for instance), as I would expect to be the same with you all. There is a lot of learning I still have to do.

Just to show you're not doomed to unpainted pictures:

I've been working on the interlocking, but didn't have another interpretation. I'm using the same track all over right now, because it matches up with the junctions. I will morph into different tracks underground because I have more tunnel work to do and want to take care of it all in one shot.

Last edited:
Again, there is a YARNish L2.1 to L1 adapter that would look more realistic than the L2.1 to L1 splitter you used in the route.

I work in TRS2006 Surveyor, and not TS10 ... I wish I could tackle some of those spline points (as there are way too many in certain places, that could be eliminated). The Island Ave trolley barn does have some sharp curves on the prototype, but I wish that I could smooth some of the trackwork out for you, and make things sweeping semetrical curves.

Here's one thing I failed at, much too tight of turnouts for freight trains:
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_001-19.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/SignsInTheGauge.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_001-47_zps337790f5.jpg

I hold off on all textures altogether, as I am constantly tugging up and down on Trainz grid corners, and I don't wat to lose the DEM hog data map lines.
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_001-28.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_004-17.jpg
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_001-46.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again Cascade, that's good stuff there.

I reallllly wanted to use the 30th street available, but it's off by the tiniest bit for my route. There's nothing like seeing it come over the horizon:

t8dagr8_20130116_0001_zps10eaa501.jpg

Is this route for DLS release? If so, try moving your tracks over a bit. The right-most track (I forget the number) is right against the outer wall near where the Cira Centre now sits. I could enlarge the shed if necessary. Let me know what's needed.

P.S. PM if you need modifications - I tend to forget to respond to posts.

Last edited:
Some times a DEM is way off by +/- 20' in all the x,y,z directions, so sometimes you have to make fudge, and stretch, or condense things to squeeze track and turnouts about, to make things fit. A DEM creator might have drawn the lines a tad off register also, so a DEM is a good approximate guide, not particularly accurate in each and every detail.

My route is so lacking in scenery, that it only looks good from looking straight down ... or out the window, while driving a loco, using freeintcam, a line added in the trainzoption file.

So I keep plugging away, concentrating on trackwork, and gradients ... and screenshots of my route are rather bland at the time being.

Except for large famous landmarks, I find scenery temporarily unnecessary at the time being ... a huge finished route could be textured in short order, later on down the road.

Last edited:
Thanks Scottbe for the suggestion about using the splitter. I agree in going for realism, the roads were something I threw down for now. Tonight I read up on using the street kit and shortly will fix the roads. From here on out, I will show better work in my pictures. Some new pictures coming soon.

Today, I worked mostly around 30th street - finished the roof for the Septa station, aligned some supports with where they needed to be for tracks underneath, added some lights downstairs, and cleaned up some tracks for entry into Amtrak 30th.

Last edited:
Good evening everyone. Thank you Amtrak2041864. Today I did a little bit of work around 30th street again. I only plan to have traffic in the streets around the station, so the inner lanes can be parked cars.:

Thank you everyone for your time.

Last edited:
Back