TOPSIG Round Robin Sessions!

JIb228

Multiplayer Guru
What is it?
So as some of you know, when I host sessions on MRL I use the title, TOPSIG for them. TOPSIG stand for Trainz Operation Special Interest Group. (Not affiliated with OPSIG but same idea.) Basically, when in a TOPSIG session, your not just driving a train to drive a train,your there to drive a train and do a job. So you have cars to set out and pick up.

Now when I started hosting sessions on MRL I said I'd be hosting twice a week. But over the months of running MRL, and even UMR, I have found that it takes hours, even days to really operate those routes. And hosting a session for 8+ hours just wasn't enough. By the time Id have the yard sorted out, every one would be done running. So then I got to thinking, "what if I hosted a 24 hour session?" And after putting some thought into how I would do it with out buying a second computer to be a dedicated Trainz server I came to a conclusion. Once a month I'd host a weekend long session. In this way, we have a nice three day long MRL session. Players can come in, do some work, leave, and come back when ever they want. But then I got to thinking more. "What if we dont want to do MRL?" And that's where the Round Robin comes into play. Rather then do a session on the same route once a month, we can pick a route, run that route and that session that month. Then have a new route and new session next month. This means that if there is a route that enough people what to play on, we can have a session for it. If no MP session exists for it, I will make one.

And Now The Details
Sessions will start on the LAST Friday of the month, and run until Sunday night unless there are any technical problems. Make up sessions, in-case the iTrainz servers are down, will be the following Friday.

For any route to be considered for TOPSIG RR weekends, it must meet the requirements found here:http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?89767-Multiplayer-Tips-Tricks-Fixes-and-Other-Things
But dose not have to have an MP session.

We will use Teamspeak, and I will have a server for us to use when in sessions.

THIS MONTHS SESSION DETAILS:
TOPSIG Sessions are being postponed until more are interested in MP and TOPSIG.

Note, this post will be updated so the first post reflects this months session. If we get enough interest form players, I might add a second weekend to this. So we would have two weekend long op-sessions a month. But first I want to know that there will be plenty of people to join and take part.

Last edited:
Yeah! I'll defintely do this! I'm not quite sure what to do for routes though. I know that my Thompson and Western route has quite a few players who like it, about 7-12people, but it isn't very detailed (It was my first route released to the DLS).

This is an amazing idea! Maybe you can do shifts where players can be called in to take on the job of the previous player. I'm suggesting this because railroads let crews work for a certain amount of time before a new crew has to take over.

This is an amazing idea! Maybe you can do shifts where players can be called in to take on the job of the previous player. I'm suggesting this because railroads let crews work for a certain amount of time before a new crew has to take over.

I like where you're going with this Blake, but have a question about being "on-call." Would the person be in the session and waiting to take over the job, or would a person show up for a few minutes, talk with dispatch, and organize a time when that person can come back to take over the train?

I think that all the crew members would report to the session on the first day of operating to receive their orders such as assigned train/time/day so they know ahead if time. Maybe have a few extras just in case if they don't show up for work. Or have a plan "C" where existing crew members will have to work overtime if the extras fail to show. I feel this would be better than having extras wait around for 8 hours for a job to pop up.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. This would be a feature I would like to try sometime. (hint hint Jib :p) If you don't want, we don't have to though. It's up to you since it is your operation you have going here.

Yes, this system would certainly enhance the prototypical operation a great deal and I would love to see Jib add this to his operating sessions.

And I intend to do it at some point, but for now, baby steps. There are a few things that are holding me back for going that far into organizing a session. First off, this is a game, not a job. Many of us show up after working real jobs, or going to school. The last thing we would want is to be told what to do for 8 hours. Second, the game it self. We cant save a session and resume it latter. So if you spend8 hours doing train A, next week you'll have to spend another 8 hour doing train A over again. But that's why mixing things up a bit with different routes was brought up.

But as I said, baby steps. When I first got into MP on TRS12 it was "Lets run ALL THE TRAINS!" Then as I started to get a better idea of what some of my regulars wanted, and how I would do operations I went from there. That's when I started hosing on MRL with the whole "here is a job list that needs done." I made specific jobs such as yard crews, manifest crews, local crews, and passenger crews. But no time table, and no strict job. That's what I want to keep going with, until the two aforementioned problems can be resolved.

If Run8 has tought me any thing, its that telling some one when to show up to a game is not a good idea. Its hard to organize people into sessions like this because of life and work and what not. Speaking of which, I'd go into much, much more details about the direction I want TOPSIG to go, and many other ideas, but I too must run off to work soon. So Ill post that when I get home.

Well the sister, please download my MRL route and session.

https://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=261170 (Route)
https://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=261023 (Session)

As a reminder to every one, our first session will be on MRL on January 25th until the 27th. Our next session will be on February 22nd through the 24th. But that route and session has yet to be determined. Suggestions can be submitted here, but vetoing will be in the TOPSIG group, which is open to all members. Voting wont start until January 25th and last until the 27th. Yes this is while the session will be running, but this way as soon as I shut down the session, I can get cracking on making a session for which ever route we decide.

For the Jan session, there will be a job list. I will post that a few day prior to the session. I still need to decide what all we will be running.

... I just realized that your operating sessions fall on my mom's weekend. I won't be able to join any sessions whatsoever unless your willing to change weekends. Maybe first weekend of the month?

... I just realized that your operating sessions fall on my mom's weekend. I won't be able to join any sessions whatsoever unless your willing to change weekends. Maybe first weekend of the month?

I can change it to the second to last weekend, maning htis months would be this weekend, 18-20th. And next months would be 15-18th. If that works better for you Blake let me know. Still early enough to and small enough group that dates can be changed.

thanks Jib for the direct links. I'm downloading via FTP as the CMP considers your route as "unknow location" (but it is on the dls! Auran's mistery)

I hope you are aware that the route/session will not work for Multiplayer if you are using FTP, as it will consider the content as locally modified, which is a no-no where Multiplayer is concerned.

Shane

P.S. Jib - you may want to make what I've stated clear to downloaders.

Last edited:
I will have to try joining in at some point and give it a try. Anyways, I'm looking forward to it!

Id like to point out that ideas are needed for next months session. We can do MRL, or Thomson and Western, or any route on the DLS. If there is no MP session for it, I can make one.

CSX Saginaw Subdivision is one of them that I'd like to do or anything related to the Midwest in general. ;)

Back