Engine start/shutdown

nyswman

I love me a Yellow Jacket
I asked this in the thread for the R&N route, but I was hoping for a little clarification. Is there plans to make the start/shutdown script avalible for other engines? Is it something that is easy to integrate into existing engines? I've had a lot of fun with the locos that have it and the ability to start a scenario with all the engines shut down would be a lot less noisy.

Last edited:
I asked this in the thread for the R&N route, but I was hoping for a little clarification. Is there plans to make the start/shutdown script avalible for other engines? Is it something that is easy to integrate into existing engines? I've had a lot of fun with the locos that have it and the ability to start a scenario with all the engines shut down would be a lot less noisy.

Theres some bits and pieces that we dont like about certain parts of it and the items that need to be changed are unfortunately nothing we can do ( its with the game itself). Until that happens this is really going to be your only taste of this feature but were hopeful those changes come sooner rather than later.

I love using these new features like start up, shut down, and isolate. When I have an empty coal or hopper train, I isolate a couple of the locomotives to save fuel, besides you do not need all that power for an empty train. I cannot wait to use these features on the Dash-9's :hehe:

the code was simply a test. it does still exist within the TFX but i want to point out first why it was included and why it isnt standard already.

there are a couple of reasons why i allowed the engines to be released with the startup/shutdown features.

1. it's really cool and i wanted to see what the reaction by users was, hopefully stirring interest in such features.
2. it satisfies my ego- simply put, nobody can say JR didn't do it. (hey it's the truth)

there are also a couple of reasons that this has not been made a standard yet.

1. i feel the implementation could be more efficient if handled internally by native code, it is a bit wasteful by having to use workarounds to the existing game code.
2. the method is not necessarily compatible with ts12 doppler sounds, again, would be solved if handled by native code.

now with that being said, it could be used on generally any JR engine that is using the JRTFX library if it had the correct engine sound assets to go with it, but i would not assume any responsibility for using the features.

1. i feel the implementation could be more efficient if handled internally by native code, it is a bit wasteful by having to use workarounds to the existing game code.
2. the method is not necessarily compatible with ts12 doppler sounds, again, would be solved if handled by native code.

Understandable Justin. Flight Sim was the same way until A2A released their Accu-Sim, which runs outside FSX and provides realistic engine control, flight dynamics, breakdowns, etc. Pretty much the only thing FSX is used for with their aircraft is the actual graphics. I'm curious if something similar could be done with Trainz. Not saying you should, I would rather see this all handled natively.

For those of us who love an in-depth experience, the start-up/shut-down/isolate features are great. Now if we can set up MU control, have independent front/rear headlights, HEP control, and deal with breakdowns, I would be happy as a clam. However, I don't see any of this coming around unless Auran (or N3, or whatever they're calling themselves these days) fundamentally changes the coding in the game. Until then, I'll keep running the R&N locos in MoPac territory. If only their cabs had the head-end telemetry box.

But how cool would it be to have a brace of GE's coming up a grade when one of them blows its turbo?

Last edited:
I have a question as well could you tell us how to implement this feature to other JR locomotives? Id personally like to try it out on the SD40s I have

I have a question as well could you tell us how to implement this feature to other JR locomotives? Id personally like to try it out on the SD40s I have
I know there's a tutorial out there somewhere on how to add fuel consumption to locos, as for the start and stop, you're looking at a a serious scripting copy and paste job that isn't guaranteed to work, the doors and windows wouldn't work unless you're using an engine that already has that feature. The R&N engines won't work for me anyway, which I believe is the game and the scripting not agreeing with each other, but the game still crashes, and as cool as the features are, it isn't worth trying it to me, otherwise, I'd go in and try to figure it out for you. In the mean time, good luck!

I just want to say that the startup/shutdown/insulate functionality is the best since sliced bread. At least for me it gives a feeling of being there. Walking over the yard listening to the birds, starting up the engine and reading trough your paperwork while the air builds up in the tanks and then start you switching duty. When done shutdown the engine and once again listen to the silence.

Hopefully this will become standard with your engines with or without the help of Auran/N3W.

I must also say that I have been playing around with your freeware content for a few days now and i must say that I like it a lot. Not just the 3d and textures, but most of all engine specs and sound. They feel heavy, and behaves more or less like the real thing. Probably there will be some money for payware going your way the next few days.

Technically yes you can apply this with some config changes and I had at one point done it to everything we had a correct enginesound for simply for my own usage( so all of our SD40s and SD50s).

However with that said we will not be doing any sort of writeup or instructions on how to do this at this time as this functionality is merely a beta and wont really be revisited until the code changes Justin noted above are made.

Sorry!

With N3V/Auran announcing Thursday they are working on releasing Service Pack 1 for Trainz 12 very soon, will the startup/shutdown feature be added to more locomotives?

With N3V/Auran announcing Thursday they are working on releasing Service Pack 1 for Trainz 12 very soon, will the startup/shutdown feature be added to more locomotives?

that really has no bearing on it. we have known about SP1 for a year now. the factor that decides it is if there are some code changes that make it more practical.

Back