Conundrum - is Trainz flat?

Trainz world is flat for coding purposes unlike our Earth which is on the top of a giant turtle. If Trainz was coded true to cosmos, the last board would have a cliff off the turtle's back.

:)

Regards, Mimes

Dont forget the 4 elephants ;)

Dough!, In the face of such irrefutable evidence, there goes my "Earth on giant turtle" belief.

Regards, Mimes

After very careful examination of all the scientific evidence available on the World Wide Web, I must concede that the pure "World on the top of turtle" hypothesis does not completely reflect true reality:

There must be a certain number of elephants (scientists are not completely certain as yet as to how many elephants there exactly are) on the top of the turtle holding the Earth. Kinda like a ham sandwich. The proof appears below:

discworld_1.jpg
discworld_2.jpg
discworld_3.jpg

Regards, Mimes

P.S.: As new evidence came to light, it is also possible that the Earth is not flat, but ball shaped (as odd as it sounds), however the firm fact remains it is still on the turtle and the elephants!

Last edited:
Wow where is the flat earth society living? Under a rock? NASA has already shown everybody on the earth that the world is a sphere, which means it is round.... We have proof...

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

NASA has already shown everybody on the earth that the world is a sphere, which means it is round.... We have proof...
NASA? Isn't that the name of that US movie company that shoots most of their movies in a deserted desert? The same people that made this so called moon landing movies?
The fact that you think they supplied proof of this "world as a sphere" just means that they have become really good in their animations! :eek: :p
Serious, it is flat and on a giant turtle. * sigh * Kids and their "sphere" idea's. I bet the next thing they tell us is that Santa does not exist. :hehe:

Someone said that they were going to create a trans Altantic route in Trainz (sounds kind of boring to run, unless it was a submarine route, where you could view sea life created by Whecsailor).

I quess we'll never know as the draw distance in Trainz is limited.

It is rumored that from the top of the Empire State Building, that the red light atop the Washington monument is visible on the horizon.

As usual, wikipedia can help with your conundrum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down"Turtles all the way down" is a jocular expression of the infinite regress problem in cosmology posed by the "unmoved mover" paradox. The phrase was popularized by Stephen Hawking in 1988. The "turtle" metaphor in the anecdote represents a popular notion of a "primitive cosmological myth", namely the flat earth supported on the back of a World Turtle.

Stephen Hawking, 71st birthday yesterday, 8th January.
Many Happy Returns

It is rumored that from the top of the Empire State Building, that the red light atop the Washington monument is visible on the horizon.

Only on the days when all the air on the east coast moves to Kansas. (Which, come to think of it, probably explains a lot about the political situation, too ... :()

ETA: And actually, not at all. The light would only be visible at about 1/3 of the NYC - DC distance.

Last edited:
NASA has already shown everybody on the earth that the world is a sphere, which means it is round.... We have proof...

Sorry Enzo - but not correct! Our planet is NOT a sphere, nor is it 'round'. It's an oblate spheroid. It bulges out a bit near the equator and is 'flatter' at the poles.....

Andy :)

Digging below baseboard level in the Mediterranean finds this!

Whecsailor’s turtle sea <kuid:67261:35014>

Casper is worried.
:eek:

turtle_zps58d84f22.jpg~original

Last edited:
Someone said that they were going to create a trans Altantic route in Trainz (sounds kind of boring to run, unless it was a submarine route, where you could view sea life created by Whecsailor). ...

Maybe they were going to make a Trainz model of the transatlantic tunnel that was proposed in the 1960s, which was to use 3,100 miles (5,000 km)-long near-vacuum tube with vactrains (a theoretical type of maglev train) which could travel at speeds up to 5,000 miles per hour (8,000 km/h).

That would make the travel-time between New York City and London for a Trainz vactrain on such a route less than one hour. At the speed the route would make seem less boring, but I suppose most the sights one could take in at 5k MPH would end up being mostly a colorful blur.

Sorry Enzo - but not correct! Our planet is NOT a sphere, nor is it 'round'. It's an oblate spheroid. It bulges out a bit near the equator and is 'flatter' at the poles.....

Andy :)

Thanks to something called a Ice Age I might add. Ice Caps compressed the earth at the poles, and it's still springing back.

Not to mention that the equator is closer to the sun (big gravity well!) than the poles, and the pull of the sun's gravity is more-or-less perpendicular at the equator and more-or-less tengental at the poles. Both those facts mean that the sun's gravity sucks harder on the the middle bit...

Are we far enough off-topic yet??????

"We're spinning at about 1000 mph."
Is that why I'm dizzy so much of the time? :confused:
I think this bids fair to be another "Ignore this post" thread. Have at it, folks. :wave:

Bernie

Last edited:
Not to mention that the equator is closer to the sun (big gravity well!) than the poles, and the pull of the sun's gravity is more-or-less perpendicular at the equator and more-or-less tengental at the poles. Both those facts mean that the sun's gravity sucks harder on the the middle bit...

Are we far enough off-topic yet??????

oh c'mon i hope you were kidding about that!

the equator is only closest to the sun on 2 days of the year, and that is only in relation to other points on the surface. dont forget that earth is slightly closer to the sun at this point (as in around this time of year) in it's orbit. AND dont' forget that the earth is tilted by about 23 degrees on the orbital plane, making none of what you said true.

Oh dear.

Whilst the equator is only the closEST point on the earth to the sun two days a year (the closest point oscillates between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn and back annually) the equator is ALWAYS closER (which is what I wrote) to the sun than the poles. The pull of gravity is inversely proportional to distance squared. The effect of the sun's gravity on Earth is ALWAYS greater at the equator than at the poles. Always....

The inclination of the Earth's orbit is relative to the plane of the ecliptic, which is the plane of Earth's rotation about the sun. The effect of gravity at the equator is NEVER more than -23 degrees from perpendicular. The effect of gravity at the poles is never more than +23 degrees from tangential. Ergo even at the 2 extreme days of the year, when the poles are at their closest and the equator at its farthest, the effect of gravity is 44 degrees closer to vertical at the equator than at the poles.

For more utterly fascinating stuff about how the un-equal pull of the sun's gravity effects us google 'precession of equinoxes'...

Last edited:
"We're spinning at about 1000 mph."
Is that why I'm dizzy so much of the time? ~snip~
1037.56483r mph to be a little more precise, but only if you are at the Equator.

At the poles there is little movement at all.

Where I live, my speed is 652.96 mph (cosine of latitude multiplied by equatorial speed).

To add to the “dizziness” caused by the spinning motion on the Earth’s axis there is also the speed of orbit around the sun (67,062 mph), but because the Earth is rotating, the relative speed will be greater or lesser depending upon your position during the 24 hour rotation. A bit like a spinning car slingshot effect on a fairground roundabout.

Meanwhile, this is what can be found (cough, cough) if you circle the Equator in Surveyor and attempt to lay the final baseboard.:D

gap65_zpscd5f18e9.jpg~original

Last edited:
Most impressive mezzo. I think we have found our answer!
Let us worship the Trainz Gods so they appreciate our achievement!

Last edited:
Back