An American Train Question

captainkman

You are reading this.
Hi everyone.

I'm an Australian, and I love and use British trains, which means that I am used to the British railway practises. I have one question that an American railroad lover might be able to answer.

You see, I'm starting to use some 1880's American steam locomotives. The locos I'm using, made by tbryson2, have animated bells. Very neat! My question is, what is the purpose of the bell? When is it used, and why do American locos have bells and whistles/horns, when just a whistle would be satisfactory?

Thanks for the replies, and I apologise if this question has been answered before, because I could not find an answer. :)

Kieran.

The bell (is quieter) is used when in stations, and on tracks that may have employees, or speed restrictions in yards, so as to warn people.

A whistle is used as a loud emergency warning, at crossings or where people/employees are in severe danger near the tracks.
==========================================
In Illinois, the motor vehicle code still has a silly law on the books, that when a horseless carriage comes to an intersection, that the driver is to dismount and procede to walk into the intersection, look to both ways, cupp both hands to his mouth and shout "Ahoy", bang a cymbal, ring a triangle, blow a trumpet, bang a drum, discharge a shotgun into the air, blow the hooter bulb horn, then, and only then can he proceede through the intersection.

And in Pennsylvania (Ben Franklin's law) is still on the books: If a resturaunt serves pork, they MUST also have Apple Sause on hand to serve (as it is thought to prevent pork food poisoning, and the Croupe). (Hence the Apple stuffed in a whole cooked pigs mouth).

Pennsylvania was the first State to enact food health safety inspection (hence the: "Registered PA Dept of Agriculture" stamp on most US products).

Last edited:
... My question is, what is the purpose of the bell? When is it used, and why do American locos have bells and whistles/horns, when just a whistle would be satisfactory?

A whistle alone wouldn't be satisfactory under some conditions. Bells, in general, serve as a continuous warning that the train is in motion (or about to be). Most tracks in the U.S. aren't fenced as they usually are in Britain. Bells are used in the U.S. and Canada because the rules say they should be used, such as the General Code of Operating Rules (adopted by many railroads in the U.S. and Canada).

Bells are used under the following conditions:

• Before moving, except when making momentary stop and start switching movements.
• As a warning signal anytime it is necessary.
• When approaching men or equipment on or near the track.
• When whistle signal (7) is required.
• Approaching public crossings at grade with the engine in front and sounding of the whistle is
prohibited, start signal at the crossing sign. If no sign, or if movement begins between sign
and crossing, start signal soon enough before crossing to provide warning. Continue ringing
bell until the crossing is occupied.

Last edited:
...In Illinois, the motor vehicle code still has a silly law on the books, that when a horseless carriage comes to an intersection, that the driver is to dismount and procede to walk into the intersection, look to both ways, cupp both hands to his mouth and shout "Ahoy", bang a cymbal, ring a triangle, blow a trumpet, bang a drum, discharge a shotgun into the air, blow the hooter bulb horn, then, and only then can he proceede through the intersection...

I would pay $2.35 to see that happen today.

In one of the midwestern states there is a law on the books that states "if two trains shall meet on a singlre track neither shall pass until the other has gone". Obviously IQ is not requirement for public office, lol.

Ben

In one of the midwestern states there is a law on the books that states "if two trains shall meet on a singlre track neither shall pass until the other has gone". Obviously IQ is not requirement for public office, lol.

Ben
That'd be in Kansas. ;)

Ben

What is really scary is that a law like this is typically in response to something, and somebody says "There should be a law about blah blah blah." I'd really be interested in the incident that necessitated this legislation.

(Wow, that has got to be about a $20 or $30 sentence at the end)

In America we have the Federal Railway Administration(FRA or "Feds") If American Locos only had a horn then what shall happen in Quiet zones. A town can Call up the Local FRA Agent and establish a Quiet Zone meaning No horn at Crossings, but only bells if a engineer is caught not ringing the bell or blowing the horn in the Quiet Zones the RR can get a hefty fine

In regard to the preposterous laws, these are usually left on the books for use as "law enforcement tools." If someone is spotted not doing something obviously wrong, but is suspected as being a mob kingpin, he can be nabbed for failing to "dismount and procede to walk into the intersection, look to both ways, cupp both hands to his mouth and shout "Ahoy", bang a cymbal, ring a triangle, blow a trumpet, bang a drum, discharge a shotgun into the air, andblow the hooter bulb horn." California has had a hyperactive legislature since the 1850s, so that now it is impossible for an 80 year old nun to go to mass on Sunday morning without committing six felonies.

Bernie

Yes as said above these quiet zones are made from reports and the like.or I have heard on small sleepy spurs(like the one I live on)they use the bell instead of the horn,because the crossings are vary close together and don't have gates only crossbucks,course there speed through the crossings is like 5-10 mph(I mean really super duper uber crawling slow)course they do use like 50 yr rusty old Geeps on this old spur,and they may not be able to go much faster lol.

So as all this is said I have a question.doesn't AUS railways have bells on their locos?and British doesn't?

thanks for answers

Last edited:
IDK ... But I think the whistle was invented by the guy with his Mother in the painting: James Whistler

Or maybe it was George Stephenson

Last edited:
On the subject of odd laws, there's one on the books in Georgia that states, no matter what, if a train strikes a vehicle the driver of the vehicle or their survivors is to be fined 500 dollars for impeding the progress of a locomotive.

On the subject of odd laws, there's one on the books in Georgia that states, no matter what, if a train strikes a vehicle the driver of the vehicle or their survivors is to be fined 500 dollars for impeding the progress of a locomotive.

That's in a way somewhat comical. Those Georgians must remember to never impede on a loco's progress or else!

i can understand the driver being fined not the passengers,but other then that it is not exactly an odd-ball law,like the fines that come from holding up a class 1(passenger or express freight)

Back