A little bit of bragging rights... I drove the Mojave Sub w/o coupler breaks!

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
I did it! All the way to the end on the first session. ATSF 919 East.

This is not a Medium-level activity. It should be marked as medium-hard, since it is a bit tricky. :)

The big secret is to take it wicked easy with the throttle and watch the couplers. Feather the throttle all the way right from the beginning. You need to make use of a lot of the lower notches. I kept my engines in notch 1 for quite some time, until I reached the first bridge. After that it was notch 2, then notch 3. I got as high as notch 6 before heading downgrade into the valley, just before heading up into the mountains. It gets tricky going down and you need to throw on the dynamic brakes as well as apply some air. Again, keep the speed way down to prevent any tugging. It's this way all the way through the mountains.

Great job on the route, guys, from the Jointed Rail.

John

Well done John. I reckon you should get free-for-life DLS access for sheer perseverance Lol.

Regards

-Glad your enjoying the route and its sessions. Its all about trying to be as realistic as possible for me.

-Joe

Trainz Hall of Fame membership, would be a suitable reward. Only way I have been able to make it is deleting all the session rules that apply to coupler breakage.

Thank you, Gentlemen for the award. I will forever cherish this. :)

You've got to try this, guys. Remember notch 1, notch 2, maybe no more than notch 6 when its flat. :) This a lot more fun doing this than driving commuter trains on a flat surface. :D

John

Thank you, Gentlemen for the award. I will forever cherish this. :)

You've got to try this, guys. Remember notch 1, notch 2, maybe no more than notch 6 when its flat. :) This a lot more fun doing this than driving commuter trains on a flat surface. :D

John

Tried every combination of throttle settings to no avail. Made it once in DCC mode, but I hate DCC mode so that didn't count. Many times the coupler would break going at a steady speed, for miles, nor even touching the throttle at the time.

Oddly, I managed to drive it without breaking the couplers the very first time I tried it. And I'm convinced that the bloody thing must have been toying with me, because I don't think I've ever gotten further than five minutes past the bottom of the first grade since then. Heck, I've had the couplers break on me thirty seconds after starting, in notch one, FIVE TIMES IN A ROW! There is unquestionably SOMETHING wrong with the coupler breakage rule. :( :n:

Oh, and just FORGET about restoring from a save ...

But now that I've gotten all that off my chest, Well Done, Sir! :wave:

Oddly, I managed to drive it without breaking the couplers the very first time I tried it. And I'm convinced that the bloody thing must have been toying with me, because I don't think I've ever gotten further than five minutes past the bottom of the first grade since then. Heck, I've had the couplers break on me thirty seconds after starting, in notch one, FIVE TIMES IN A ROW! There is unquestionably SOMETHING wrong with the coupler breakage rule. :( :n:

Been there, done that, many times....... :'(

Yep - it's well done to you John.
I keep on going back to Mojave , do my own thing with the rules and settings and and haul real heavy stuff over the hills with all types of combinations , this route really tests the locomotives .
Love driving and working out the A1 crossings to hit all the signals green or yellow , otherwise it means pulling away again on those steep hills with a massive load. I also postition helpers along the way at strategic places and help push from the back . Cool fun !

Nice John, I can drive about 5 miles before the coupler breaks on me... But then too, I was not as nice to the throttle as you were lol... I have tried and tried, but I still somehow find a way to break the couplers! Thanks for the tip! I may have a go myself!

Well, somehow I've never tried this session until today, probably because all others apart from the stall one seemed undoable because of those d&#n couplers. :hehe:

And, what can I say, you really need to take it slow, certainly the first few miles. After that the long climb is a breeze. Keep a sharp eye on the signal hud and use the gradient and the throttle to slow down when needed. The hardest part is, I think, the last stretch where you start to descent to the valley. Using the dynamic breakes alone will give you greeve looking at the coupler hud, you will need to use air too to keep the slack between the cars in check.
In fact this last part was the only stretch where I saw some signifant scary flashes on the coupler hud. :)

Coincidence, or maybe it's just in the name, Jan is after all the dutch translation of John. :D

Greetings from overcast Amsterdam,

Jan

Well, somehow I've never tried this session until today, probably because all others apart from the stall one seemed undoable because of those d&#n couplers. :hehe:

And, what can I say, you really need to take it slow, certainly the first few miles. After that the long climb is a breeze. Keep a sharp eye on the signal hud and use the gradient and the throttle to slow down when needed. The hardest part is, I think, the last stretch where you start to descent to the valley. Using the dynamic breakes alone will give you greeve looking at the coupler hud, you will need to use air too to keep the slack between the cars in check.
In fact this last part was the only stretch where I saw some signifant scary flashes on the coupler hud. :)

Coincidence, or maybe it's just in the name, Jan is after all the dutch translation of John. :D

Greetings from overcast Amsterdam,

Jan

Jan,

Coincidence, not really. Jan is John, of course. :) I was also named after my grandfather. His name was Jan and was chanced to John after immigrating from Sweden in 1923.

You've got the route figured out. It took me a couple of tries, but once I made it up over the hump, I mean hills, all was smooth sailing. The red flashes are a bit scary, and at first I panicked and caused the train to stall on the hill! lol! :D

John

Back