Contents illegally uploaded to the DLS - N3V Please take action!

You can if it is only local to the DLS servers. Make it a condition of uploading that EVERYTHING uploaded falls under an "unofficial" copyright for a period of X years. Exceptions would be legan reskins/clones vetted by the owner. Just a thought. I'm not advocating changing laws here.

Bill
There are various possibilities including this option https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-copyright
and this https://arstechnica.com/information...opyright-creative-commons-has-a-tool-for-you/
those who fulminate about absolute copyright laws which demand compliance regardless of the wishes of the content creator seem to overlook such options. One can waive ones rights . Also if the estate of a deceased content creator does not pursue any violators , then again it's extremely doubtful that anyone else would or could pursue legal action unless they have an interest in the items that are copyrighted, in the grand scheme of things , 3D models in a minor game wouldlikely not attract multimillion dollar lawsuits. It's very expensive pursing legal action of any kind.

Hi everybody.
snip~ in the grand scheme of things , 3D models in a minor game wouldlikely not attract multimillion dollar lawsuits. It's very expensive pursing legal action of any kind.~snip

At last in this thread someone (dangavel) has called the litigation situation exactly as it is. The only reason any organization or individual will carrying out legal action for patent or copyright infringement would be to claim for financle damages incurred by the transgression of patent/copyright against them.

As stated already in this thread, private litigation is very expensive across all parts of the world and especially so across international borders. In the foregoing anyone would have to question just what a person who places content in an open environment for others to download and use free of cost would have to gain from any action he/she may take in regard to copyright infringement.

In the above, the person bringing forward action could not claim financial damage unless the content was payware. Therefore in regards to free of cost content downloads, no such financial claim could be made or awarded as the only damage that could be adjudged to have been incurred would be to the originators pride.

Copyright legislation is indeed law, but in the overwhelming number of infringement cases that come before the courts are private prosecutions brought forward at great expense seeking very large financial damage payments.

Therefore the thought of a member of this forum (by example, living in Australia pursuing a copyright claim against someone in the UK) for content that has no financial value is I find quite frankly laughable.

If content creators do not wish to have their creations copied, changed or used in ways they do not wish, then the only way to ensure that will not occur is to keep that content in their own sole possession.

Bill

Last edited:
The only reason any organization or individual will carrying out legal action for patent or copyright infringement would be to claim for financle damages incurred by the transgression of patent/copyright against them.
That is simply not true. There are many examples of people taking action over copyright infringement where no financial damage has occurred.

In the above, the person bringing forward action could not claim financial damage unless the content was payware. Therefore in regards to free of cost content downloads, no such financial claim could be made or awarded as the only damage that could be adjudged to have been incurred would be to the originators pride.
Wrong. The copyright owner does not have to demonstrate financial damage in order to be awarded compensation.
"First, there are actual damages. An example would be the revenue that the copyright owner loses because of lost sales when a movie is copied illegally and sold. The second is a disgorgement remedy. The copyright infringer can be forced to turn over or give up any profits connected with the infringement. This is more common and effective than actual losses. Third, there are statutory damages, which range from $750 to $30,000 and, in the case of “intentional” infringement, as much as $150,000."
http://mcdaniel.legal/understanding-damages-awards-copyright-infringement-case/
And don't forget the copyright owner's legal fees. Financial loss is only relevant if the copyright owner expects a Government agency to take action on their behalf - they usually won't unless there is substantial financial loss.

Therefore the thought of a member of this forum (by example, living in Australia pursuing a copyright claim against someone in the UK) for content that has no financial value is I find quite frankly laughable.
Are you seriously suggesting that it is OK to infringe on the content creator's copyrights because it is unlikely that you will be taken to court? That would be an attitude to the law which I suspect would be unacceptable to most people.

If content creators do not wish to have their creations copied, changed or used in ways they do not wish, then the only way to ensure that will not occur is to keep that content in their own sole possession.
So just because other people are doing it, it's OK for you to do it? That sounds like the wail of the typical internet software pirate "I wouldn't have bought it anyway, so they haven't lost any money as a result of my copying, and besides, everyone else is doing it."

So just because other people are doing it, it's OK for you to do it? That sounds like the wail of the typical internet software pirate "I wouldn't have bought it anyway, so they haven't lost any money as a result of my copying, and besides, everyone else is doing it."

Leave it to Sailor Dan to complain about pirates ;) .

But in all seriousness I don't know if it is possible to be taken to court if you modify an asset for personal use. I don't see why authors say that you cannot make any changes for your personal use. It's going to sit on your hard drive, and have no effect on the losses or gains of the original author. Furthermore, if you tell the original creator that you are doing it for personal they should be glad, rather than pouncing at you, as at least you are notifying them, opposed to the who knows how many that modify it without telling.

Also I don't know the whole "this asset cannot be included in payware routes" issue. At the end of the day they are not distributing a copy of the asset, it is simply a string of 12 numbers referenced in the config. And is there not a line or two on the DLS that says that by uploading, you are saying "it is OK to use this asset in whatever you want"?

Leave it to Sailor Dan to complain about pirates.
The complaint is actually about the misinformation being posted here rather than piracy as such.
But in all seriousness I don't know if it is possible to be taken to court if you modify an asset for personal use. I don't see why authors say that you cannot make any changes for your personal use.
You have to 'publish' in order to infringe copyright. You can make whatever changes you like for your own use, the author's exhortations notwithstanding. The claim that you can't is typically promulgated by those who are trying to bolster an argument in favour of ignoring copyright by claiming that compliance is more onerous that it actually is.
Also I don't know the whole "this asset cannot be included in payware routes" issue. At the end of the day they are not distributing a copy of the asset, it is simply a string of 12 numbers referenced in the config.
The comment is probably there because payware routes are typically distributed as bundles with all their dependencies. If the route is distributed without the dependency then the attempted restriction cannot apply. Some content creators do their cause damage by attempting to claim more rights than they are entitled to (such as telling the FBI to enter your premises and seize your computer!).

Hi everybody.
Sailordan, in regards to your above posting at #103 of this thread, I will not copy paste that post as I do not wish this contribution to turn into a blog. However, in paragraph two of that posting you quote United States legislation which you attempt to give credence to by way of content from an attorney’s advertising journal which specifically relates to United States legislation in regards to copyright infringement.

In the above, let us take a possible case in regard to someone in the US wishing to take legal action against another person for copyright infringement of content lodged on the download station. The first consideration in that would have to be that N3V is an Australian registered company engaged in international trading and therefore the claim may well have to encompass Australian legislation which may entail those courts being involved in the action.

Further to the above, the person the aggrieved US party wishes to claim against may reside almost anywhere in the world where that countries patent and copyright legislation may be not be in any way similar to the United States. In the foregoing the legal representatives of defendant in the case may well argue that the case should be heard in the defendants own country of residence or in the Australian courts. Undoubtedly the US plaintive would wish to have the case heard in the American courts and much very expensive legal argument could well follow before the case even gets of the ground.

Legal courts around the world have different operating structures and procedures. By example, here in the UK there are three differing courts in operation with the first being the criminal courts followed by the civil court structure which are then augmented by the industrial courts. In the foregoing obviously the criminal courts give outright judgement on each count of either guilty or not guilty, where as the civil and industrial courts give verdict and awards by percentage of cause or liability of all parties involved in any action.

The above is standard law court operation in almost all countries within the European Union, but emerging nations such as India or Pakistan have vastly different systems and anyone can guess at the problems a plaintive may encounter in countries were the law courts operate under strong political influence such as China or Russia.

Sailordan, there is much more that could be stated in regards to your posting at #103 of this thread in regard the actual process making claim in the worldwide law courts but i do not wish this post to turn into a blog. However, is it realistic to believe that any person would wish to go through even the prelimery stages of cross border litigation in protection of content placed free of cost to an open universal user base.

In the foregoing the plaintive in such a case could not even be assured of recovery of his/her costs when initiating such action especially in a civil court that may make award on a percentage of liability which is often placed on both parties when making judgment.

Time to get real in this thread

Bill

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
Sailordan, in regards to your above posting at #103 of this thread, I will not copy paste that post as I do not wish this contribution to turn into a blog. However, in paragraph two of that posting you quote United States legislation which you attempt to give credence to by way of content from an attorney’s advertising journal which specifically relates to United States legislation in regards to copyright infringement.

In the above, let us take a possible case in regard to someone in the US wishing to take legal action against another person for copyright infringement of content lodged on the download station. The first consideration in that would have to be that N3V is an Australian registered company engaged in international trading and therefore the claim may well have to encompass Australian legislation which may entail those courts being involved in the action.

Further to the above, the person the aggrieved US party wishes to claim against may reside almost anywhere in the world where that countries patent and copyright legislation may be not be in any way similar to the United States. In the foregoing the legal representatives of defendant in the case may well argue that the case should be heard in the defendants own country of residence or in the Australian courts. Undoubtedly the US plaintive would wish to have the case heard in the American courts and much very expensive legal argument could well follow before the case even gets of the ground.

Legal courts around the world have different operating structures and procedures. By example, here in the UK there are three differing courts in operation with the first being the criminal courts followed by the civil court structure which are then augmented by the industrial courts. In the foregoing obviously the criminal courts give outright judgement on each count of either guilty or not guilty, where as the civil and industrial courts give verdict and awards by percentage of cause or liability of all parties involved in any action.

The above is standard law court operation in almost all countries within the European Union, but emerging nations such as India or Pakistan have vastly different systems and anyone can guess at the problems a plaintive may encounter in countries were the law courts operate under strong political influence such as China or Russia.

Sailordan, there is much more that could be stated in regards to your posting at #103 of this thread in regard the actual process making claim in the worldwide law courts but i do not wish this post to turn into a blog. However, is it realistic to believe that any person would wish to go through even the prelimery stages of cross border litigation in protection of content placed free of cost to an open universal user base.

In the foregoing the plaintive in such a case could not even be assured of recovery of his/her costs when initiating such action especially in a civil court that may make award on a percentage of liability which is often placed on both parties when making judgment.

Bill

AMEN Bill!

So according to you it is OK to ignore someone else's copyright rights, provided that it is so difficult for them to enforce those rights that there is little risk of a penalty.

I don't believe that is an attiude that most Trainz users would support.

So according to you it is OK to ignore someone else's copyright rights, provided that it is so difficult for them to enforce those rights that there is little risk of a penalty.

I don't believe that is an attiude that most Trainz users would support.

I do not see where Bill here made that statement or any even close to it. He is simply illustrating the simple REALITY of the whole situation from a logical and legal standpoint. Where exactly did he claim that it is "OK" to ignore others' rights? Just because you may not like that he stated the bottom-line reality of the whole situation, making an accusation based on a huge assumption of yours is baseless and uncalled for. Don't shoot the messenger just because you may not like the message.

Many thanks Thomascbc for your above posting, as you stated exactly what I would have posted myself had I had seen Sailordans contribution to this thread prior to yourself. Shooting the messenger seems to be very common practice in many areas of discussion of recent times.

Again many thanks
Bill

Last edited:
The last (unpublicised) route I uploaded to the DLS I basically said do what you want with it - if you decide to share would be nice to drop me a line but if not hey-ho.

I think that will be going on any subsequent routes I release, the point being if it is a particularly interesting project (mine usually aren't) most users know who the real author is anyway.

So if anyone wants to do a SG Shinkansen conversion on Naissaar Island - be my guest!

I do not see where Bill here made that statement or any even close to it. He is simply illustrating the simple REALITY of the whole situation from a logical and legal standpoint. Where exactly did he claim that it is "OK" to ignore others' rights? Just because you may not like that he stated the bottom-line reality of the whole situation, making an accusation based on a huge assumption of yours is baseless and uncalled for. Don't shoot the messenger just because you may not like the message.
That is exactly what is being said. The difficulty or otherwise of enforcing the owner's rights would only be introduced into the conversation as justification for ignoring them. There is no other reason for bringing that point up. There is no interest in the reality of the situation unless there is an intention of taking advantage of that reality, and that is not something that would be supported by the Trainz community. The legality is the standard that Trainzers should subscribe to, not the reality.

That is exactly what is being said. The difficulty or otherwise of enforcing the owner's rights would only be introduced into the conversation as justification for ignoring them. There is no other reason for bringing that point up. There is no interest in the reality of the situation unless there is an intention of taking advantage of that reality, and that is not something that would be supported by the Trainz community. The legality is the standard that Trainzers should subscribe to, not the reality.

SailorDan, with every respect to your above posting, but I find the basis of your argument inconceivable. You state that if any person introduces the difficulty of enforcing any legislation into a conversation, then it would be that persons intention to ignore that legislation, or to encourage others to ignore (thereby infringe) that legislation.

In the above, a person making reference to any legislation may well be just outlining the problems and difficulty of it's enforcement, as was the case in my posting at #106 of this thread. In that, such an act cannot be witnessed as encouragement to infringement by any "reasonable" person.

Indeed, in outlining the problems of the enforcement of any legal position a person may be seen as making the case for the strengthening of the legislation that surrounds it. In the foregoing, it can be argued, how else is any situation changed if not through discussion.

Bill

Last edited:
SailorDan, I have every sympathy for your situation and your feelings on this matter. I would not be happy either.

However, I'm certain that if you hire a solicitor or lawyer to advise on this situation, they will repeat the issues that have already been mentioned in this thread. Go ahead and try it if you find that point unbelievable.

I understand that you don't welcome unfavorable news, but there isn't any favorable news to offer. Sorry.

Isn't he uploadeing reskin from other users under his ID because he has more that 300 assets and we never hear him here or he has a topic about his "content". The weirdest part is that all his "unknow location" assets from a long time are back... And it's not the first time he's been warned/banned

Isn't he uploadeing reskin from other users under his ID because he has more that 300 assets and we never hear him here or he has a topic about his "content". The weirdest part is that all his "unknow location" assets from a long time are back... And it's not the first time he's been warned/banned

Then I guess I should delete "his" F40PH's I downloaded and then modified to my liking. The toughest ones were converting the 'Amtrak F40PH 398 Phase IV' and 'Amtrak F40PH/NPCU Phase III #406' into NPCU's (Non Powered Control Units). It took some work to figure out how to replace the enginesound with one that is 'silent', (The NPCU's are old F40PH's who have had their engines removed and had been turned into the equivalent of a cab-coach commuter car), but keeping the enginespec and hornsound.

Most of those assets were from the first time he was uploading dodgy stuff, thought he had already been read the riot act and agreed to play nicely, perhaps hold on before assuming more of the same and see if he has actually got any permission, or probably unlikely, has actually learned to make his own stuff.

Jordon412: All "his" "reskin" aren't worth to download, the one from Josefpav is perfect but you can get the F40PH NPCU from JR if you want !

clam1952: but why are they back ? they were removed due to asset violation

Jordon412: All "his" "reskin" aren't worth to download, the one from Josefpav is perfect but you can get the F40PH NPCU from JR if you want !

clam1952: but why are they back ? they were removed due to asset violation

They are not all back these are different ones, everything up to October 2016 was removed due to Terms of Service violation and are showing location unknown, He seems to have started again in 2017, Just had a look, no one seems to have complained until now though which seems a bit odd.

Back