Mapping real life areas

Measure straight-a-ways in Google Earth, guestimate the compass heading of the track, and re-lay the track in Trainz.

Or create a DEM, and then your real nightmares, headaches, and burnouts will begin to overwhelm your life (until you are Obsessive Compulsive in Trainz "Surveyior" all night long, in your dreams, while you sleep).

Don't sweat the petty things (nor pet the sweaty things), and make Trainz tracklaying fun !

It's all just lines on a map ... measured straight-a-ways ... connected by curves

Last edited:
Hand in hand with Google Earth I would also recommend MSR Maps, which is a digital version of USGS maps of the US. It is excellent for showing topography in a graphic way and also the layout of main track. It is not so good for showing the layout of secondary trackage, Google Earth is better for that. You can find it here. http://msrmaps.com/ If you are into anything much before 2000 you should also consult Google for sources of historical maps. Many of these, including historical USGS maps dating as far back as the teens are available for some areas.

Bernie

Or 'persuade' a willing volunteer to make the map for you...

Be aware that DEMs are not exactly accurate. In the main they are but where there are gills and valleys in close proximity the program tends to try and 'equal' things out a bit so you WILL need to use an Ordance Survey map in conjunction to get the correct heights (and lows...!) from the contour lines.

Have fun, it isn't that bad and I always feel that if it looks right then it usually is. The main problems as mentioned will happen in quite hilly or mountainous areas.

Angela

Or 'persuade' a willing volunteer to make the map for you...

Be aware that DEMs are not exactly accurate. In the main they are but where there are gills and valleys in close proximity the program tends to try and 'equal' things out a bit so you WILL need to use an Ordance Survey map in conjunction to get the correct heights (and lows...!) from the contour lines.

Have fun, it isn't that bad and I always feel that if it looks right then it usually is. The main problems as mentioned will happen in quite hilly or mountainous areas.

Angela

Hi Angela,

Happy New Year! Let's hope 2013 is a better one for all of us.

I have found out first hand what can get averaged out. At the moment I'm working on my own area with lots of mill buildings a long the railroad lines. The problem is the rail line is up on a grade above the streets which are about 5 meters below. With the old mills, railgrade, and streets so close to each other, everything has flattened out. Rail bridge locations are now small blips in the surface, and the roads are all way too high. It's been a real fun time (NOT!) trying to sort all the pieces out.

John

Measure straight-a-ways in Google Earth, guestimate the compass heading of the track, and re-lay the track in Trainz.
/QUOTE]

Bareing in trainz is the opposite way round to the bareing in the 'real world' lol, you can calculate this - say heading in google earth is 36 degrees - take 36 away from 180 = 144 now take away 90
if google earth bareing is over 180 degrees say 228 degrees then take 228 away from 360 = 132 now take away 90 again = 42 (cirtian situations you need to add 270 rather than take away 90 but you know when you shoud have done this coz the answer will be wildly out lol), It slows the process up slightly but it makes things hugely accuate when in confined spaces like mountain ranges...

Above all richman remember that curves are links between the streights using the streighten track tool this is paramount when doing yards - mark all the streights going beyond where needed measure from the point where the tracks cross to where the curve stops in both directions then insert spline points at both places delete unnecessery track and link with track making sure streights are streighted using the streight track tool.

Andy

Also ... If you take a piece of sheet glass from an old trash picked coffee table top, and install it in front of your PC screen ... then you can draw with a Sharpie pen, on the glass, and trace the GE image in Trainz.

You can also do like wise with a protractor, mounted to piece of sheet glass from an old trash picked coffee table top, installed in front of the PC screen

...Be aware that DEMs are not exactly accurate. In the main they are but where there are gills and valleys in close proximity the program tends to try and 'equal' things out a bit so you WILL need to use an Ordance Survey map in conjunction to get the correct heights (and lows...!) from the contour lines...

Spot on Angela, the free data files available from OS OpenData are not of a high enough resolution for the task in hand some areas. You can buy more "detailed" data from the OS but it is seriously expensive and you will need to be "TheVeryVeryVeryRichMan" to afford it for hobby use ! (Note: I'm not sure if TrainzDEM even supports this resolution at the moment).

...I have found out first hand what can get averaged out... ...It's been a real fun time (NOT!) trying to sort all the pieces out...

Same here John, you would not want to be tackling a few hundred route miles with the aim of achieving 100% accuracy !

Chris

Back