Help with topology in surveyor (Retaining)

TheRichMan

Meh-Tra
I want to accomplish something like this in trainz:
Retainingwall_zps05c901f3.png

How do I do something like that? I know that the ground is at an angle when you raise it up, so how would I make it so Its straight up? If you don't know what I mean:
Topolgy_zps925b1bc1.png

This quite difficult to accomplish using the topoplogy tool its self. So instead of struggling, try a wall spline or embankment spline. This will make your life a lot easier.

Check out those made by Ray_Wiley, FMA, MTK, and others.

John

That particular wall would never hold up a vertical embankment on a prototype, as it would collapse.

Concrete_Bank_Spline is what I use, as it looks like ballast, and could be reskinned to any texture.

There is a way to make vertical slopes, although as others have said, not with the terrain tools. But the copy/paste tool has an option to paste not only objects and textures but elevation. This only works if the slope aligns to the grid, but is very useful to make straight vertical terrain for ports etc. Say you have terrain at 30m, and you want a vertical slope to 25m. Select or make a small area at 25m elevation, copy with the height option turned on, then paste on the 30m terrain, and it should work. Repeat as needed.

I know this reply might not be the perfect answer to your question, but I just wanted to point you at some "semi-hidden" functionality which might also come close to your need.

Based on your screenshot I get the idea you are using the (standard) 10x10m grid.
If you go to the Topology and right-click the "Add ground" button in the bottom-left corner of that tab, you will get a small menu offering you the 10x10 grid but also the 5x5 grid! With that 5x5 grid you are able to make much steeper slopes in a small area.
Based on your screenshot, that might just do it, combined with a wooden fence at the bottom of the slope.

And before you ask: You can change the grid of already placed boards by clicking on them as if you are placing a new baseboard there. You might have to re-do some painting though.

As with the prototypes, I've had a few places like this in my route. The trick was to find a "retaining wall" spline which has the wall, and a horizontal surface at the top of the wall. By placing it beside a slope like you have there, you get a nice 90 angle. All that's needed then is to find a ground texture to match the "ground" that's attached to the wall so it blends in. laying the track right over where the fake ground of the wall meets the real ground also helps to hide the seam.

Back