New England Shortline modeling

bconvers9622

Hi all,
This post concerns Model Railroading vs trainz. I never really see people modeling new england shortlines, or any shortlines really, and I think this is because of HO scale locomotive modification and other facets of shortlines that are more intense to work on. Model Railroader articles always seem to concern layouts based on BNSF, UP, or the Appalachians.

I model Cape Cod and south eastern Massachusetts.

Here is my website:
http://southcapecoast.org/SouthCapeCoast/Home.html

Here is the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/SouthCapeCoastModelRailroad

Here is our latest Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1IFLKFMY24

Enjoy! :D

Good stuff. I posted on your Facebook page. :)

I agree the smaller stuff is more fun than the big main line running of through freights. The big routes seem to be the big thing I noticed too. I suppose that this is the mass appeal today to the younger folks, and they want the business to continue so they cater to them.

What's cool about Trainz is, we have all the industries we want and even replace those that have long since disappeared. I happen to live up in the Merrimack Valley so I model a lot of textile mills and cities around this area. My modeling is now strictly in Trainz since I had developed some tremors and associated Parkinson's disease. Painting models is out of the question, and there's that inherent risk of knocking things on the floor, which I did to a very, very expensive Atlas Alco RS-3 back in 2004!

Anway, my big fictitious route is called the Enfield and Eastern, which I've posted the story about. In this scenario, PAR, then Guilford, gives up a big hunk of their eastern Mass to northern Maine section, and a new regional has taken over.

I also recently uploaded a remake of George Fisher's Gloucester Terminal Railroad. In my version, the B&M branch to Rockport is a bit busier with CSX freights and a lot more MBTA commuter trains - thanks to Jointed Rail for the CSX and MBTA locomotives, and the content creators for the "T" Horizon cars. The Gloucester Terminal branch its self is now a trolley line that is shared with diesel powered freights. I added a few industries, and smoothed out the grades some. It's not perfect, but it sure makes for some fun running while I switch cars in between the trolley cars on the "main line". I use the AI, portal created, freight trains to bring in cars and take out empties. One of my scenarios includes removing the empty coal hoppers after I've had an AI driver deliver coal to the power plant. This involves getting the AI-driven freight train out on to the B&M branch and on its way to Boston. This route is on the Download Station if you are interested. I left the session blank so you can add your own traffic.

John

I'd love to see this route!!!! I've many many issues with the DLS. :( can you post a direct link to where it is on the DLS?

Look for this route here:

Gloucester Terminal Railroad ---- Electric -- V3.5

The kuid is:

124863:100489

There is a corresponding session, but there is no rolling stock in the session because I used payware items. You have to add your own trains and AI drivers. There are all kinds of trolleys and trams on the DLS that will work. The trolley wire might be a bit high, but there's no control over that unfortunately.

John

hey if you want a trainz layout based upon a real short line, check out my Yancey RR layout based upon the real shortline of the same name.

This is literally a four year old thread. Sorry but probably not the best place to be advertising.

Some people.

Back