Escanaba and Lake Superior in the North Woods

Okay.....I think I will go with the summer season as it looks a lot better and its more colorful than the dull color....That time of the season looked to depressing.....

To start out with the new season, we catch the 1200 sitting here in Oconto Falls at Subway for lunch

Caught L3637 come into Pembine from Gladstone with a lone WC SDL39

Here he will set out the empties for the loads that are tucked away on the interchange track and head back to Gladstone

The crew then takes lunch here at the depot

With the loads picked up....The L3637 heads east back to Gladstone

After we left Pembine we went south back to Green Bay.....But as soon as we got outside of Crivitz, we heard the scanner come alive and the Green Bay train just leaving the yard, so the chase is on......

Caught him here in Coleman

Caught him here at Lena

Caught him coming into Stiles Jct

Doing a set-out here at Stiles Jct for Oconto Falls

Taking off for Green Bay

Thanks 007007. I've always enjoyed your work.

WCL: The station at Pembine I used is called "station sunol". The name on the sign can't be changed so I'll have to use a different station later. I use JVC color changing trees and grass so that I could change the seasons as my mood changes. Your winter shots are cool but your summer shots look better. The 1201 you're using looks great!! I really like this line becasue of the old dirty equipment they use. I didn't see that engine on the DLS. May I ask where you found it?
One more picture from me of a north bound passing Elm St near Pembine.

May I ask where you found it?

It was made to test but not released yet......1200 and 1201 was made and as of today in real life the 1200 is sitting in Oconto Falls

How did you change your vehicles out to new ones???

Here is one of the 402 idling away near the Crivitz depot on an early morning as it waits for a crew to come on board to work the M&M line to switch out storage cars

At Pembine.....3 of the ELS SD9's run light to Crivitz where 1 will be set out there and the other 2 will tack onto todays Crivitz to Green Bay train

Last edited:
Oh, interesting, I'll skin those for you but it may take me a little while. It looks like they also used the yellow DMIR ballast cars that are already up on the MissabeRoad.com site.

4269725473_16d64e7673.jpg
[/URL] E&LS Ballast Cars 1-12-10 by gbw305, on Flickr[/IMG]

Oh, interesting, I'll skin those for you but it may take me a little while. It looks like they also used the yellow DMIR ballast cars that are already up on the MissabeRoad.com site.

4269725473_16d64e7673.jpg
[/URL] E&LS Ballast Cars 1-12-10 by gbw305, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here are a few links that might help ya

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1384945

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=324711

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=390601

I will see if I can find more

Last edited:
Sidnaw-Nestoria

I'm guessing this is the E&LS east of Sidnaw on the old South Shore. There has been 3-5 miles worth of cars stored on this line the last few years. I would say the majority of the cars are boxes but there are plenty of covered hoppers, hoppers, bathtub gondolas, and tanks,

We serve the Smurfit-Stone papermill in Ontonagon. It makes paperboard used to make cardboard boxes. We also have several pulpwood jobbers that load cars on a track downtown. Every other station on the O&B also has jobbers that load pulpwood.
We have two customers in Iron Mountain(actually Kingsford)Schneider Iron &Metal and Grede Foundry.
Schneiders ships out scrap and Grede ships in scrap that is unloaded at Schneiders and trucked to the foundry. We also interchange pulpwood with the CN that goes to International Paper at Quinnesec.

In Menominee we switch Menominee Paper, Great Lakes Paper, and K&K Wharehouse which warehouses woodpulp for mills. In Marinette we serve a Kimberly-Clark paper mill, Marinette Marine(which are building replacement ships for the Coast Guard),Ansul (which makes fire extinguishers)and Specchem which ships out tankcars full of waste water.

There are no plans to buy new power or repaint anymore units at this time. As a point of interest the SD9s are original, they are pretty much as they came from EMD except that Reserve Mining had repainted them some time in the past.

Pempine to Escanaba

The ELS runs a Pembine Turn whenever there is a need to ferry power to or from the shop in Wells, deliver pulpwood destined for Mead Paper in Escanaba, or deliver or pickup cars for the carshop at the old P&H plant in Escanaba.
The only business in Escanaba is a scrap yard, a propane bulk plant and a lumber yard. They are only switched infrequently, in fact the scrap yard will be isolated because the US 2 crossing is going to removed because of its poor condition. Most of the switching is concerned with the carshop.

The power for the Pembine Turn is whatever is going to or from the shop. It is sometimes only a one way move with the crew cabbed one way or the other.

I work the only switchjob in Channing. We make up the train for Green Bay when the O&B gets in. After we line up the train we take it to Kingsford working any stations along the way. The crew that comes to wrk in the morning takes it from Kingsford to Crivitz where they meet the turn from Green Bay and Job 1 from Menominee if they come to Crivitz that day. The Channing-Crivitz turn goes to work at 7:30 am in Channing Sunday thru Friday and cabs to wherever we have left the train the night before. It generally works the CN interchange in Pembine on the way to Crivitz. The Green Bay job goes to work at 7:00am Sunday-Friday in the CN (ex-CNW) yard in Green Bay. It makes up its train there. They sometimes work the Oconto Falls branch on the way to Crivitz leaving the train at Stiles Jct. All the trains generally make it to Crivitz by noon. The train from Green Bay is inspected there by the carmen and any rips are switched out fro the rip track. Any Menominee-Marinette cars are set out there.

The line to Republic is in place to Republic except for a missing crossing near Republic. We store cars for GE and we use the branch as far as the Michigamme River. Beyond that it is overgrown with brush and trees. We also store cars on the original E&LS line to Wells. We have cars shoved out as far as Ralph. We own what is left of the DSS&A from Sidnaw to Nestoria and also store cars there.

The train length varies. They are longest out of Green Bay. It all depends on how business is and how the Storage cars are moving. The trains out of Ontonagon run 13-20 cars 3 times a week except Saturday and Monday when there is two days production out of the paper mill there. It also depends how much pulpwood is moving. I will tell you that when we are switching storage cars in Channing we sometimes move them in 250 car blocks off the branches.

Just for your information all our trains run east and west even though the geographic direction is north and south. This is a leftover from the Milwaukee days when all their trains on the entire railroad ran east or west from Union
Station in Chicago.

O&B turn, Republic

The O&B runs up and back to Ontonagon the same day. The crew is relieved in time for them to drive back to Channing within the Hours of Service. The Republic Branch is only used for car storage, there are no customers on it, it is in horrible shape. There has been no maintenance since the Milwaukee pulled out in 1980. We have no ex-Milwaukee equipment in use. The road power we use are 5 ex-Reserve Mining SD-9s and 2 ex-Conrail GP38s. We have 2 ex-Reserve Mining SW8s that are used either to Switch Menominee-Marrinette or on lease to the paper mill in Ontonagon. We also have numerous Baldwin RS12s with only one running the 300. We have 2 Baldwin S12s Ex-Calumet & Hecla Mining and a Baldwin DS-4-4-660 that was re-engined with a 750 HP primemover. The only cabooses that we have are an ex-ELS and ancient wooden CNW caboose. Both are out of service. The ELS caboose is shoved in a track at Randville and the CNW caboose is in Wells next to the Roundhouse. If you are interested the ELS has a website that has pictures of old ELS equipment and depots. It is WWW.elsrr.com.

O&B

The job that works to Ontonagon is known as the O&B for the Ontonagon and Brule Railroad, the original name of the line from Ontonagon to Rockland. It is called for 9:15 central time Monday-Thursday and Saturday. It is a turn doing work along the way both up and back. It usually cannot make it both ways with one crew so the Channing switch called at 6:00 pm on the same days dogcatches it somewhere along the way. If the pulpwood is running heavy, the O&B will die out on the road and it puts in 12+ hours with deadhead back to Channing. I know because I am the engineer on the Channing Switch engine.
(From MichiganRailroading.com)

Escanaba & Lake Superior. A trip to the U.P. of Michigan revealed a great deal about rail operations north of the bridge. The Escanaba & Lake Superior operates a number of routes on a daily basis. Their former MILW line from Ontonagon east to Channing operates a daily round trip, serving a paper mill in Ontonagon and log loading facilities along the route. The train has about 40 cars on a daily average. That unit switches cars at Channing, and a daily round trip from Channing south to Crivitiz, WI takes the cars and other traffic south
through Iron Mountain. At Crivitiz, E&LS runs a turn about 4 times a week to Marinette, WI (opposite Menominee, MI). Then another train goes south from Crivitiz to Green Bay where cars are interchanged in the Wisconsin Central RR yard. The former MILW main line to Champion (now pulled up north of Republic) is inactive, as is the original E&LS main line between Wells (Escanaba) and Channing. E&LS has trackage rights on the WC from Pembine to Wells when it needs to get to the Escanaba area.

E&LS tidbits... The E&LS apparently is storing 2,500 rail cars on line for GE Capital. They are present in many sidings, including about 500 cars stored on the former DSSA main line from Sidnaw, MI east towards Nestoria. E&LS hosted a NARCOA rail car event last weekend. 27 motor cars proceeded on a two day excursion from Kingsford to Ontonagon and back, with stops at Channing and Sidnaw. The group appreciated the railroad's cooperation and the track crew that accompanied the group was supurb! The track between Kingsford and
Channing was a bit rough, but the track west to Ontonagon was in good shape. E&LS limits its trains to 25 mph, though much of their track could support somewhat higher speeds.

All was from Greg (From MichiganRailroading.com)

If you want modern vehicles for your route, i would download dermmys EVWRR region, it has the new cars all set up, jus change the region and your good to go.

The 2 ILSX units were working on a ballast project just a lil north of Pembine

Here we catch the 2 units passing the Pembine depot on its way sotuh to Crivitz

Coming thru the small town of Wausaukee

Pulling to a stop here at Crivitz

While at Crivitz, we heard the M&M job come in so we took off to the depot to catch his train

OK, cool. I'm sure nobody probably cares about this but those hoppers did not originate with the DMIR - they are either ex-GN or NP cars - I think GN. And the DMIR hoppers have two chutes instead of one. If you guys don't care about that - which I assume you don't - then I'll skin you some.

Back