Durango & Silverton or Durango to Silverton

Yes - I saw them and it looks like the shorter pair of trestle bents is hanging in the air (unless my 69 year old eyes are decieving me, lol).

Ben

I have since turned the bridge around to the correct orientation and elevated the ground beneath the shorter trestle. The bridge in Durango, the one going west to the smelter, is made by Dave Snow. It is nearly a perfect match to the bridge I saw in photos but the track is for SG. Any chance you and Dave could get together and fix it up? I'll get you the KUID if you're game.

Randy

Well, since it seems the Durango line is under construction by Sek, do you guys want to continue, or do we switch to another route? Cumbres Route maybe?

Chris

Hi Sek:

It would be far better for Dave Snow to modify it since he has the original Gmax or Blender mesh. Nothing I can do without it. One possibility tho is if he made his own ties and used rail only track, change the kuid for the attached track to one of 3 ft ga rail only track. The only down side of this is the stringers would no longer be exactly under the rails (where they shoud be).

Hi UP9018:

I've already made the big bridge on the Cumbres & Toltec so theres a place to start. Cascade Trestle kuid2:210518:1368:1. Its in TRS2004 format but should go into newer versions with little to no trouble.

Ben

Last edited:
Ben, don't forget your Laboto trestles! Both the walk way and non-walk way versions!

I would like to see the Cumbres Pass line done too. Now, to find some GRAMPS cars to run on that line then...

Well OK, that sounds like the way to go....Ben, I will hunt down those trestles. I have your roundhouse already, going to use the 1950s version. Taylor, you still in for a Chama Line route?

Thanks,
Chris

I have a Gramps tankcar about done but the big Gramps logo has me stumped. I tried using the Gmax text function as a plane then bending it around the car but it doesn't bend uniformly (looks terrible) plus the "S" on the end is weird. I've been thinking of uploading it without lettering in hopes some kind re-skiinning soul would take pity on it and add the proper lettering. I have HOm3 modelss of it, and both the framed and frameless UTLX cars to use as models.

Ya know a route based on the line thru the Black Canyon of the Gunnison including the hanging bridge and Curecanti Needle might be interesting.

Ben

Last edited:
Hmmm Ben, maybe just letter them with the UTLX and call them done. I forgot that you were working on them. Its been about year right?

The Black Canyon line would be awesome! Even Marshal Pass too!. Now what we really need to to get the 30 miles North of Antonito heading to Alamosa, then (try to) get the line between Chama and Durango, then Durango to Farmington. If those were to happen, I will never leave my desk again....

Well, ultimately I would like to build the entire line also. Are any of you able to make a DEM of it? That would be the ultimate in narrow gauge routes I believe, and we could put together a great group of guys to build it.

Ben, can't wait to see your Gramps cars!

Chris

Yup - the ultimate in procrastination. I guess have to get off my duff and get back to work on them, lol. From a practical standpoint the gramps car and the two UTLX cars all quite similar. Only some of the details change except the obvious lack of a frame on one. Finish one and the rest go quickly. Letter them as effects so folks could strip the lettering by deleting that section of the config files mesh table then re-skin away. The attachment points would still be there if they change thier minds and want to put it back or re-letter it to something else.

Working on a big passenger station at the moment. Perhaps I'll take a peek at one when its done.

Ben

I've placed the Gramps project back in the current project folder so will get back to it soon but I have a question.

I'd like to use ARN on the gramps, framed UTLX car, and frameless UTLX car as I have a script file that allows the ARN system to be used on an interactive car but I need to know what the proper car numbering ranges were for the 3 different types.

My HOn3 cars were made by a professional builder from craftsman type kits so I assume the numbers he put on them are within the proper range.

Gramps 11056
Framed UTLX 88131
Frameless UTLX 88111

Any ideas as to the proper ranges gents?

Thanks,

Ben

Last edited:
Thanks.

Interesting but some of the info seems confusing. 41 narrow frame cars numbered 12000 - 13999? Thats 2000 cars, lol. Ditto frameless ones numbered 55000 - 55999 = 1000 cars. Finally none of this seems to agree with whats on my models.

Guess I can always let folks know they can change the number range in the ARN system to whatever the wish.

EDIT: Hi Chris - didn't see your link at first. Printed the screen out for reference - thanks.

Ben

Last edited:
Definately - guess they couldn't make up thier minds, lol. I think I'll just set the ARN system up with "something" and tell folks they changed often over the years.

Ben

I just found an old thread where a gent using arum as his username was making one of thesecars but a search on the DLS doesn't turn anything up. I hate to duplicate others work as I don't feel its fair to them but does anyone know if his car ever got finished?

Also - the 3 ng tankers use 4 ft 6 in wheelbase bogies and I can't find them anywhere. I can make them if necessary but I'd rather not if they have already been made.

Thanks,

Ben

Last post was April 2nd, 2009 so I'd have to agree its almost certain to be a dead end (too bad as the car was looking good).

Was working on mine yesterday so cheer up guys they is a comin tho normally I don't like announcing items ahead of time in case I get stuck and they end up vaporware.

Ben

Can't wait to see what you come up with Ben.

I have started the build thread for this in the Screenshots section.

Back