Durango & Silverton or Durango to Silverton

UP9018

Just a "quick" question. I'm wanting to build a Narrow Gauge line in TS2010. So which would you rather see, a route depicting the modern day Durango & Silverton, or a route depicting and older (possibly 40s) Durango to Silverton? It will be built using Fishlipsatwork map.

Would you be willing to help? Put in research, help update cars to 2010 standards, create structures?

Thanks,
Chris

When I rode it I was watching the engines shuffle back and forth across the grade crossing so they could couple to the cars and noticed a McDonalds behind them. Just doesn't seem right, lol.

Ben

When I rode it I was watching the engines shuffle back and forth across the grade crossing so they could couple to the cars and noticed a McDonalds behind them. Just doesn't seem right, lol.

Ben
You don't want your route to look like this:

dns_modern.jpg

I guess it was just easier.

Harold

I agree on the '40's. Personaly I like the late 50's to early 60's when the Durango was dealing with the gas boom in Farmington.

What build are you using 2010 with? It has compatibility mode so things should work just fine.

What structures I know are out there:

Durango:
Roundhouse
Depot

Silverton:
Both Depots
Some shops.

Here is a link:

http://www.steammachine.com/prowler/

This here is where you can get the Mikes, some basic rolling stock. Also if you look around, there is a sand house and water tanks, both single and double spouts. They all will work in 2010 with the compatibility mode on.

Funny thing is, I was thinking of restarting my attemp on the line too!

I've been working on the D & S for about a year now. I'm nearly done with the route and will be making a few sessions next. Time zone is 30's to 40's. I made a dem map with Transdem. The Fishlips map has a major error near Silverton that I found difficult to repair.

There have been several announcements in the past about the D & S route but no one has finished a complete one. Maybe this weekend I can get a few screenshots up. I may release the route first and the sessions a couple of months later.

Randy

Do please Sek!

Just a quick question; did you get the smelter, lumber yard and other industries? Those were the hard parts when I first tried making the route some years ago.

I used what buildings are available and did a bit of kit bashing too. Durango has a lumber mill and a yard or supply house. The smelter, across the river from the roundhouse, is made from photos and drawings. It is not that accurate because of the limitations of content. I am currently tweaking ground textures then it's on to people and vehicles. The route is extremely detailed. Most of the trees and grass are pay ware from JVC, (jankvis).

More later,
Randy

I made the truss bridge over the river on the high line part of the route but can't remember what I called it.

I haven't made the combination truss and girder bridge just out of Durango but if you can get me a few pics and dimensions I will (unless someone else already has that is).

EDIT: I found it. Tacoma bridge kuid2:210518:1463:1. Its in TRS2004 format but should go into newer versions without too much trouble.

Ben

Last edited:
Thx Ben, I'll take a look at it. I am currently using a standard gauge bridge because it casts a shadow and looks very good.

Mine doesn't have a shadow but does have the short trestle section on the Durango end. Its hard to see when riding the train. I didn't realize it was there until I got some pics of the bridge from the side.

I can make the bridge/dam (or whatever it is, lol) in Silverton for you guys.

Ben

Well I never thought of doing it in the 50s/60s, but that is a good suggestion, would mean more traffic. I am running TS2010, build 49933, I haven't tried in compatibility mode yet, but I would like to get stuff updated to run in 2010 in normal mode. I have some of Prowler's stuff working, but not all of it.

Ben, I did find your bridge, and I will be using it, very nicely done! If you feel like tackling some of the other structures, then I would love to use them. You do very good work!

Looks like we are getting a good group together, will be needing to get organized with you guys and start a build thread very soon.

Chris

All it takes is photos and basic dimensions.

For the bridge just outside Durango, pics from the side, pics of then ends, piers, and basic dimensions such as overall length, length of the individual spans, height above the water (not much as I remember), etc.

Same for the bridge/dam (whatever) in Silverton.

Ben

Back