Video card question

Pricing, fair comment but you need to remember that all cards are similarly cheaper from most on-line suppliers so if a card is 20% cheaper than the recommended retail price then most of them from the same source will also be 20% cheaper, so whatever criteria they use for pricing, that would probably balance out.
"In general" that is true but there is also the possibility of making a big saving by buying a new OEM product as I did with my GPU, or buying a used item on ebay. I know that there is a certain stigma attached to buying used items for many people but I have no problem with it. My current CPU cooler is a Corsair H100 I bought used and it works fine.

Also probably worth mentioning that it's a good idea to look for a few independent reviews of cards by brand name, For example a Sparkle GT whatever may be as good or as well made or not as an EVGA version of the same card.

I tend to try and get OEM versions and also not adverse to second user, although I tend to use a known good source at the local PC market, if it doesn't work he replaces it without any fuss.

Last edited:
You're lucky to have the PC market around. We had a decent supplier of slightly used equipment, but he went out of business some time ago. There are other guys around, but all they sell are really, really, old stuff that no one wants.

John

You're lucky to have the PC market around. We had a decent supplier of slightly used equipment, but he went out of business some time ago. There are other guys around, but all they sell are really, really, old stuff that no one wants.

John

I don't understand that. Wherever you are in the world there are bargains to be had but you have to make an effort to find them.

I don't understand that. Wherever you are in the world there are bargains to be had but you have to make an effort to find them.

That's why I shop online now at New Egg which unfortunately isn't available everywhere. www.newegg.com We used to have an old guy not too far away that had a good stock of parts, full kits, cases, etc. He retired and his kids ran the shop well enough into the ground. Then there's this other place not too far away, but he doesn't sell many new parts. His stuff is really, really, old. Do you need a PII chip and motherboard? This is the place to go. It's not bad if you're building a workhorse machine as a laser-controller. I've been there a few times for that. A lot of cool stuff. Then there's another small store that sells parts. He's a total rip-off. His prices are outrageous and his stock is old. It's not really old enough like the other store, just plain old new stuff that anyone can get cheaper elsewhere. He's hardly open either, like he does this as a hobby. No wonder he doesn't have much business. I think I bought something from him once when he first opened. After that I could never find anything worthwhile. Then there was the CompUSA store. This was a great retail place to go because they were open on Sunday's, and the closest one was about 12 miles away. The trip, by back roads, to 15 minutes; the highway could take longer because of the traffic. They closed their retail stores here, and that's it. We now have a choice between, ugh Worst Buy, (Best Buy) or online. I chose New Egg. Great prices and great assortment.

John

Price wise, recently I been finding the best deals at www.amazon.com.

A few weeks ago I picked up a Logitech G27 steering wheel/shifter/pedal setup for 30 bucks less then anyone else. With free shipping.

I think I am going to upgrade my motherboard, processor, and RAM and then see what I can get out of the video card I have. Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate you all taking the time to help! :wave:

Pretty good deals there, that's for sure.

I agree. This is a great deal. Microcenter is too far from me in Cambridge, besides the traffic and parking are horrible down there. The EVGA 670 FTW is pretty nice. I got their 680 FTW at New Egg and have had great luck with the card so far.

John

I think I am going to upgrade my motherboard, processor, and RAM and then see what I can get out of the video card I have. Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate you all taking the time to help! :wave:

If you do think about building your own PC this guy's videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0UPQGA3qvo are very useful because he salvaged parts from his old PC and built them into a HAF-X case, basically the same as I did.

Trouble is it's performance is way down on a GTX460 the OP needs something that benchmarks higher than a 460

I have 40 FPS set in trainz options.txt and that is where it stays. Why would anyone want or need more than 40 FPS. By the way, I believe msi rates the data transfer rate at 65gb/sec, which is not too shabby.

Nothing wrong with your card other than the one he already has is better, around 115 GB/s, no point in buying a new card that is of a lower spec than the one he has, point is he doesn't need one unless he wants to go top spec PC. It's not about frame rate, he already has a high end card. Would probably benefit more from an SSD.

Last edited:
Back