Changing username breaks asset

kd7eirjim

SP Aficionado
Why does changing the username of an asset break it? I have several assets that start with LOCO or that start with something other than the railroad name, such as SP. When I change the username to be more like what I want, I get several errors about missing textures, etc.

Two questions:

1.Are you editing built-in content? If so, stop and clone the assets first. You will still get errors though.
2.Are you using Content Creator Plus? If so, it's better to use a different method of doing it.

Shane

No need to change anything, just type whatever name you want in the space provided in the Asset details box where it says Asset name. So long as you don't crash Trainz and keep a backup of assets.tdx it should remain until you change it.

1) These are assets that I have added.
2) I am opening for edit in explorer, and changing the USERNAME in the config file. I also noticed that if I change the COMPANY tag it also breaks.

Previously I took an IndustRail DD40X, cloned it, changed the username, and re-skinned it as a UP DD40X. I did not receive any errors in this process. Is the cloning process what prevented the errors?

The most important part of the equation is what are you doing to the asset AFTER you've changed the name? Are you committing it? Are you reverting it? Are you leaving it open for edit?

This should only cause a problem with built in assets, many of those are "shielded" from fault detection by CM until they are re-committed, then the asset often breaks. Malc is correct, and as you have already that, carry on!

I appreciate all the help from everyone here. I am taking a leap into reskinning and I am sure that I will break many things. It's good to have the support to help me get it back to good.

Back