New Jersey Train Derailment

Yeah, the pictures look pretty bad, but no, I couldn't find out the railroad involved either.

We aren't ready for emergencies like this. If we were, there would have been an alternate route retained since there are a lot of big customers on this line. Unfortunately, there is no way around the Paulsboro Bridge though, as far as I know. Even though the Penn's Grove line is classed as a secondary, it's more like a large industrial track serving the western edge of New Jersey from outside Philly on southwest and there is no redundant trackage. A lot of industry has been cut off, including the Deepwater peaking power plant.

The going theory that the signals at the bridge would not clear. The train crew tried to punch in a code to make them clear, but they wouldn't, so they obtained permission from the dispatcher to go over the bridge against the red. Again, sounds a lot like the rails would not lock though for whatever reason, though the media are already spinning this as a problem due to the elimination of the bridge tender position and the subsequent automation of same. Apparently, work was done on the bridge the day before the derailment.

With Boeing Helecopter plant 1500' directly across the river from the derailment site, you would think that a Chinook could lift an emptied tanck car out of the water ?

Lol, I wish. A tank car is about 10 times the Chinook's lift capacity. Would make things easier though if it were possible...

Actually, it's draining those cars that's proving to be such a pain. They keep starting and then stopping for assorted reasons.

Back