...and another route building question

enginewhistle

On Hiatus
I know I already asked this months before, but how am I able to become motivated/inspired to build a route in trainz? I just want to build something small around 4 baseboards or so, but I honestly don't know how I can get the inspiration for one. I've seen some examples, such as the Uniontown Franklin and Kent route recently released and TLW Colorado Inspiration. They're small and detailed (even though co. inspiration is missing stuff).:p

When I run out of ideas, even for working on my mega-route, I look at books, videos, and maps. I have found too that even doing some local riding around, or driving if you can, and observing how things go together in a scene, will spark an idea for section or even a route.

One of the newer routes I'm working on, for example is based on the Fletcher Granite quarry and railroad located up in Westford, MA. This started out of a conversation we had in a thread here in the forums. I then went off, found the area, and using TransDEM, was able to produce the baseboards for the currently unfinished, but not dormant, route.

This isn't a few baseboards, but is small because it's only the 2 or 3 miles of track.

John

I'm motivated and inspired, but fear of the unknown was holding me back for a while. I got the whole route laid out with TransDEM. Now that I have that, I'm eager to keep at it. I'm just learning this as I go along, asking for help if I can't figure something out. I just gave myself a kick in the bum and said go for it. The route I'm trying to build has for the most part been turned into a walking trail. Luckily, it's close by. After a couple of hours of walking on the trail, I'm running back home to do some work on my route. A little fresh air, kick in in the butt, works for me!

Cheers.......Rick

If you have money, buy some Morningsun books. You will get inspiration.

And if you don't have money, see if your local library can get Morning Sun books via inter-library loan. The MBI Railroad Color History is another great book series with nice photos and information valuable for a route builder.

I'm motivated and inspired, but fear of the unknown was holding me back for a while. I got the whole route laid out with TransDEM. Now that I have that, I'm eager to keep at it. I'm just learning this as I go along, asking for help if I can't figure something out. I just gave myself a kick in the bum and said go for it. The route I'm trying to build has for the most part been turned into a walking trail. Luckily, it's close by. After a couple of hours of walking on the trail, I'm running back home to do some work on my route. A little fresh air, kick in in the butt, works for me!

Cheers.......Rick

You can always make a copy of your route, call it a beta test version, and then not be so worried that your efforts won't be satisfactory, be free to do some trial-and-error test work that you can use on your master route if it turns out well. I know I lose much of my "fear of the unknown" if I name the first baseboard "Primer" or "Alpha Test 1" and stop regarding it as something I might permanently damage.

If you have money, buy some Morningsun books. You will get inspiration.

I'll have to wait until april for the train show in Helena so I can get one for a low price :hehe:

And actually, I do have a book on the NP's branchlines in western Montana and Idaho. Could find some stuff in there.

I'm mainly looking to do a fictional route with only 4 or 6 baseboards. Something small that I can get done in a week or a few days.

Last edited:
Back