Ditchlights on Locomotives

jkuhn

Owner of PacificTrainz
Just want to say first.... I have a checkbook ready for the Dash 9's and Dash 8's. :)

But I wanted to know if you guys were still going to make flashing ditchlights on the BNSF and UP C44-9W's.

The one thing that has always bothered me was the fact that the ditchlights flashed on BNSF/UP units,when in fact they don't. If it's just because it takes much longer to make it NOT do it, I understand, but is there a way then where I can DISABLE the ditchlights without ruining the locomotive?

And also, have you considered making them not flash on future units?

Thanks a bunch.

Jeremy

they wont be flashing... it was there because people thought it was cool and wanted it, but then again some people dont, so from now on i will try to make them remain on where appropriate (this can be changed in the config.txt file)

The one thing that has always bothered me was the fact that the ditchlights flashed on BNSF/UP units,when in fact they don't. If it's just because it takes much longer to make it NOT do it, I understand, but is there a way then where I can DISABLE the ditchlights without ruining the locomotive?
They were flashing on the BNSF units until I started bickering about it :hehe:

While I can't vouch for the CNW units or the 40 UP-purchased Dash 9's (which probably didn't flash anyways), the former SP Dash 9s do actually have flashing ditchlights

They were flashing on the BNSF units until I started bickering about it :hehe:

true because i forgot to change a number, config was made from a CSX unit...

While I can't vouch for the CNW units or the 40 UP-purchased Dash 9's (which probably didn't flash anyways), the former SP Dash 9s do actually have flashing ditchlights

CNW's do not flash, UP's do not flash, SP's do, at least until UP started maintaining them.

true because i forgot to change a number, config was made from a CSX unit...

CNW's do not flash, UP's do not flash, SP's do, at least until UP started maintaining them.

And on a rare occasion You can find SP and even UP Dash 9's flashing the ditch lights..

From my understanding here, I don't think even KCS has flashing ones either, but I'm not sure.

I know that BNSF and UP don't have em', but KCS is a not sure answer from me.

But thanks for listening guys, really appreciate it. :) I can't wait to try out the new BNSF Dash 9's!

uh, didnt i...

SP Dash 9s came with the flashers, UP still has a few with them in place, but the flashing circuits are removed for some of the ex-SP ones already.

uh, didnt i...

SP Dash 9s came with the flashers, UP still has a few with them in place, but the flashing circuits are removed for some of the ex-SP ones already.

I figure by now, they all now have their circuits removed. I have never seen any of them flash, even with an SP unit in lead. And I live in a part where they HAVE TO BLAST THE HORNS HARD :D.... But it'll be cool to have the SP Dash 9's in Trainz, and if they flash on the SP, thats fine with me. :)

OK... now you fellows have me all confused.

I was under the impression that ALL Jrs' models had flashing ditchlights, IF you pressed the 'B' key for the bell, the ditchlights flashed.
If the bell was not ringing, the ditchlight were not flashing!

This is not the N3V way of turning on or off the ditchlights, but it works.

Now your telling me certain models do not have the ditchlights available while others do have that capability?

Also, I was under the impression the FRA mandated flashing ditchlights on all railroads.
Again, your telling me this is a railroad option?

Duh... I'm confused!

-AL

Edit... Since I live on an NS mainline, I am used to seeing NS units with flashing ditchlights.
However, on occasion I do see a unit from BNSF or UP on the headend. This is especially
true of unit coal or unit crude consists. IF that foreign unit is on the headend, and BNSF
does not have flashing ditchlights, how does the NS engineer react to the missing function,
or does he simply ignore it ?

-AL

Last edited:
Also, I was under the impression the FRA mandated flashing ditchlights on all railroads.
no way

IF that foreign unit is on the headend, and BNSF
does not have flashing ditchlights, how does the NS engineer react to the missing function,
considering the flashers would just be activated by blowing the horn, I don't think the crews could care any less about the lack of a flashydoodle button

OK... now you fellows have me all confused.

I was under the impression that ALL Jrs' models had flashing ditchlights, IF you pressed the 'B' key for the bell, the ditchlights flashed.
If the bell was not ringing, the ditchlight were not flashing!

no not all of them do. there are a few configurable functions available to JR locos in this area, one of them will not flash the ditchlights at any time.

This is not the N3V way of turning on or off the ditchlights, but it works.

Yes, when the first Jr items were released in 2009, TS09 had the ability to flash with the ";" key as versions since TC do. i did not like the current operation after trying it and at the time we were still supporting TRS2006, so i came up with a way to handle both and make it easy for myself.

Now your telling me certain models do not have the ditchlights available while others do have that capability?

yes, but sometimes i forget to set them to be flashing or not, as indicated above.

Again, your telling me this is a railroad option?

The Code of Federal Regulations (Sec. 229.125) states:

Auxiliary lights ... be arranged
(1) to burn steadily or
(2) flash on approach to a crossing.
If the auxiliary lights are arranged to flash;
(i) they shall flash alternately at a rate of at least 40 flashes per minute and at most 180 flashes per minute,
(ii) the railroad's operating rules shall set a standard procedure for use of flashing lights at public highway-rail grade crossings, and
(iii) the flashing feature may be activated automatically, but shall be capable of manual activation and deactivation by the locomotive engineer.

Edit... Since I live on an NS mainline, I am used to seeing NS units with flashing ditchlights.
However, on occasion I do see a unit from BNSF or UP on the headend. This is especially
true of unit coal or unit crude consists. IF that foreign unit is on the headend, and BNSF

usually activated automatically so they probably dont notice.

Back