DEM & HOG

dej

DL Engineer
Can someone please point me in the right direction on where to learn how to incorporate/use these tools in trs2009? I would love to try my hand at route creation with the accurate terrain rather then the generic topography tool where i just make a bunch of random hill.:p

I've tried to follow the tutorials but I just keep coming across to many errors so idk what else i can do:(

If I can't figure this out, does anyone know of a DEM map for the CP Sunbury Sub? This is the route I live near by and would love to try to recreate it in Trainz!:D

CP? Canada? Not sure if the TIGER data HOG relies on is available for Canada. You can overlay other vector data in HOG but it gets a bit trickier.

Even though I use HOG for USA routes I would honestly suggest that you shell out the few bucks that transDEM costs - it would make your life much easier. And the reults will be better too!

If I am wrong and your CP route IS in the USA post specific errors and questions and there is enough help in the forums to get you a Trainz HOG map....

CP? Canada? Not sure if the TIGER data HOG relies on is available for Canada.
TIGER® and TIGER/Line® are registered trademarks of the U.S. Census Bureau. Hence not available for Canada (or any other country outside the US).

The TransDEM forum has excellent tutorials for processing Canadian geo data, with TransDEM, of course :cool:.

It's not a Canadian line, it runs from harrisburg pennsylvania to Binghamton new york. I am I'm mainly interested in the line from like berwick pa to just above Nichols pa and the Nicholson viaduct. That's what I've been wanting to do since I started in trains. The main area in question is around the larger cities of Wilkes-barre and Scranton.

So start it in MicroDEM/HOG (or get hold of TransDEM) and when you hit a hurdle start a thread and in all likelihood you will get it done....

when i put the info into the hog program i get "Error:source is not an uncompressed colour targa image."

That's easy - the tga format can be either compressed or uncompressed. Many graphics programs save a compressed file by default. There will be an option somewhere on your 'Save' dialogue box to save the tga in uncompressed form. Load the compressed file > Save As > and look for the option....

so i just take the first elevation map that i saved from mircoDEM as bmp. and the save that as a noncompressed tga? can i do this in paint.net?

Correct process, not sure about paint though, but I can't see why not! Which version of MicroDEM are you using? Later versions can save direct to tga so the conversion step can be skipped. The version the tute was written for didn't offer tga as a choice....

Just look in the options when you save the image from MicroDEM, pretty sure you will see a tga option...

I just stumbled apon this thread. dej, I have a Hog terrain map of the Wilkes-Barre/ Scranton area. There is also another map floating around out there of a Sunbury to Scranton map that was made for me many moons ago. The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton map I made some time ago for my Laurel Line Project...I just happened to have a saved blank version of it. Let me know if you would like to have it.

Back