TS12 wont run on Windows 8

The bottom line is that Microsoft is looking at the sales of iPads, Tablets, and Smartphones, and is betting on the demise of the desktop within a year or two, except for business and a small niche of users.

With most chores (internet, email, etcetera) being done on a smart phone these days and most gaming taking place on consoles the demise of the desktop already started.

I always thought that a trim, efficient Linux distribution just for gaming would be the way to go in the future to cater to the very small niche of left over PC gamers.

Devices running Android or iOS or Blackberry, etc, are NOT a threat to the OS market - these devices will never replace actual computers with actual operating systems.

That’s just what smart phones are today, an actual computer running an actual operating system.

My concern right now is drivers. They say that Win8 can use Win7 drivers which sounds oh, so great, but the Win7 drivers I don't think are quite optimized for Win8 so there may be a performance issue. I'm going to wait for the Win8-specific drivers to come out first, along with a bunch o'patches, before upgrading my desktop.

John

We’ve had specific Windows 8 drivers for about year now already which have worked fine for me on about 4-5 different hardware setups. It’s really no different from what we saw with Windows 7 which was based on Vista.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/49949

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/50294

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_win8-64.aspx

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...Z77SL-50K&ProdId=3439&LineId=3333&FamilyId=36

I too see either some hacks or the option to remove the new start screen, whatever it's called lately, to allow people to run what they want.

The hack to bring back the traditional start menu takes about 10 seconds.

With most chores (internet, email, etcetera) being done on a smart phone these days and most gaming taking place on consoles the demise of the desktop already started.

I always thought that a trim, efficient Linux distribution just for gaming would be the way to go in the future to cater to the very small niche of left over PC gamers.

Actually Consoles are not the top gaming platform according to this and a few other sites http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/97705-pc-gaming-vs-consoles-the-infographic
I agree about Linux, been using it along side Windows, since the first Slackware cover CD appeared, followed shortly after by Coral Linux, which was a lot easier to fathom out!

Actually Consoles are not the top gaming platform according to this and a few other sites http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/97705-pc-gaming-vs-consoles-the-infographic

Just take a look at what’s being developed for the console and what’s being developed for the PC. Look at how much money is being generated by consoles games compared to PC games. The next gen consoles will just hammer PC gaming even further.

I agree about Linux, been using it along side Windows, since the first Slackware cover CD appeared, followed shortly after by Coral Linux, which was a lot easier to fathom out!

I’ve got multiple copies of Windows XP (32&64-bit) (collecting dust now) along with multiple copies of Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8 but most of the time I spend on a PC is with Linux. For my sim/gaming needs (my DirectX 11 collection is growing) Windows 7 64-bit has been the best choice of OS. Currently I’m only running X-Plane 10 on Linux but I’m seeing more and more OpenGL titles claiming future Linux support.

As of late I’ve been using Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu 12.10 (32&64-bit) but one of my favorites is Linux Mint 13.

I haven't seen you on here for a while djt. Hows things going?

I must agree regarding Windows 7 64-bit. My previous system was XP Home 32-bit, which I did have TRS2006 running on, but due to system failures ended up buying a new system with Windows 7. I don't think I will be upgrading to Windows 8 though, at least for a while.

Shane

I haven't seen you on here for a while djt. Hows things going?

Work has taken up most of my time Shane.

I must agree regarding Windows 7 64-bit. My previous system was XP Home 32-bit, which I did have TRS2006 running on, but due to system failures ended up buying a new system with Windows 7. I don't think I will be upgrading to Windows 8 though, at least for a while.

I don’t think many of us mouse and keyboard jockeys will be upgrading to Windows 8 either, especially when you consider how stable and good Windows 7 has been.

I do a lot of beta testing so seeing how new games perform on Windows 8 is something of interest for me. In addition there has been some improvements with SSD support (how the OS utilizes hardware resources in general), so I was curious about that also so I picked up a couple copies of the full version of Windows 8 Pro 64. As far as gaming performance goes I don’t see much of difference from Windows 7 64. Boot up and shut down are dramatically faster than what we’ve seen in Windows 7 (or any other version of Windows for that matter) but nothing that stands out so much as to change my mind about Linux.

Fair enough. It's nice to see you on here nowadays.

From what I've gathered, Linux is probably less bloaty than Windows anyway, as Windows usually ends up with quite a few possibly unwanted system services.

I think I've only ever had one or two problems with Win7, and it's usually a result of user error.

The biggest problem MS have probably got with Windows 8 is their new Metro interface, as it's likely to just confuse users who are used to previous versions.

Shane

A bit late to the party but.... I have Win 8 and find everything more smoother i.w.o normal operations. I am led to believe that both graphics and text for 2D work, are now covered by the GPU and not the CPU, which means things on the screen are usually quicker. I have found them generally a lot quicker.

I use a small app called 'Vistart' - http://lee-soft.com/vistart/ This puts the start menu back. So. When the system boots up into the Metro screen, i click on the Metro 'desktop' icon, and i am back to the familiar win 7 look with the start button. Trying to get used to working with the Metro will take a long time. Sometimes it takes longer using Metro than Win 7 - e.g.. To open 'Regedit' in Metro takes a lot of work ( a tip is not to type 'regedit' because it will not find it, rather enter 'regedit.exe' then a list of apps will appear which it thinks you mean. Select 'regedit.exe' and the registry editor pops up. Thats a lot slower than win 7 - Start Button, type regedit in the search box, press enter and your there.

When opening the search app the screen will fill with loads of installed apps, if you've used Gnome 3 you'll know what i mean. To access your drives through metro you need to click on the 'desktop' icon, and then click on the folder icon thats on the taskbar (Linux anyone?). I have the GTP racing mod working great and thats a DX7 game. Generally if it works on Win 7, it will work on Win 8.

Anyway... If you install the 'vistart' utility you'll have the familiar Win 7 desktop available. What more could you need - a good clean (so far) O.S, and the Win 7 start button.

Regards

From what I've gathered, Linux is probably less bloaty than Windows anyway, as Windows usually ends up with quite a few possibly unwanted system services.

The bloat in Linux varies depending on the distribution, but you have a lot more choices if you’re interested in a trim, bloat free installation (depending on what purpose you’re using the OS for obviously) then you do with Windows.

One thing that MS improved on with Windows 8 is adding new functionality while coming up with ways to reduce the memory consumed by existing functionality and the amount used across the board. I have seen tests where Windows 8 is consuming almost half of the memory Windows 7 is using at idle.From what I’ve read they’ve actually taken memory management to another level with Windows 8.

Memory combining, service start on demand and prioritization of memory allocations are just a few of some of the features that I’ve read about in Windows 8.

The biggest problem MS have probably got with Windows 8 is their new Metro interface, as it's likely to just confuse users who are used to previous versions.

Yes like I mentioned before the Metro UI pretty much kills it for us mouse and keyboard users, but with a few seconds in regedit it’s back to the traditional start menu.

I'm one who usually ends up in regedit, and coincidentally one of my Trainz tools also has the capability to work with the registry.

I still think I will stick with Windows 7 until I see more reviews on Win8 though.

Shane

I have the GTP racing mod working great and thats a DX7 game. Generally if it works on Win 7, it will work on Win 8.

Nascar2003 was one of my favorites and the GTP mod is very good, iRacing, Project CARS, rFactor2 and Game Stock Car take up most of my time now.

I got Windows 8 yesterday,and everything runs just fine.

Like Microsoft promised,there are many performance improvements, even in TS12. So I am very happy with everything. :)

Call me stupid... I gave up and reverted back to Windows 7 and everything works ok with TS12. Someone once told me "Windows is the world's biggest virus!" Anyway, I could not get DX 9.0c to load on my computer while using Windows 8 PRO, so I guess I wasted $39.00 on the upgrade.

Thanks to all for your input...

Bob

Bring on the bloatware. If bloatware means a program has a help file, has additional functionality that you may or may not use, or makes the program more user friendly in operation, then i don't mind at all:hehe: I might mind if i had a system that is old and not capable. Are there any specific parts of software that would deem it to contain bloatware? Is bloatware something programmers put into software when they have nothing else to add to it? :wave:

Regards

I think in this context bloatware is all the stuff included in Windows that probably isn't actually used or needed. To be honest with the size of hard drives these days it's not the problem it might have been a few years ago. I use Windows, I use Linux, both have their good points and their bad ones. There is often stuff included in Linux that isn't used as well.

Read this in depth review and comparison with Windows 8 and 7 this morning.

That backs up what I posted earlier about Toms Hardware's tests, they used both Nvidia and AMD cards.

Last edited:
Well I did it. Windows "8" my machine. :)

There is a problem though with IE10 64-bit mode and VBulletin forums -- the enter key doesn't work. I had to switch to the 32-bit version to post. Interesting, but it doesn't surprise me. :)

Content Manager loads fine. Running it like I always do with no install. I've just loaded it from a previous install I had done previously and kept the install on me D: drive under D:\Auran\TS12.

John

Last edited:
Hi ALL,

Butler57 upgraded to window 8 from windows 7 --- it went smooth for him --- T12 runs very fast compare to windows 7 since we has a few pc's at home and compare the differences ! He does not post much but we are creating Marsz together, so it's why I know windows 8 and T12 runs smoothly, and I figure i share those issues!

Also Cnet articles says that there is a steep learning curve with wndows 8, so you all know guys!

As for me -- I got the box sitting on my desk to upgrade from 7 to 8 --- have not upgraded yet -- need to do a super back up of everything!

Good Luck, and hope those who are having issues get good results soon!!

Ish

Hi ALL,

Butler57 upgraded to window 8 from windows 7 --- it went smooth for him --- T12 runs very fast compare to windows 7 since we has a few pc's at home and compare the differences ! He does not post much but we are creating Marsz together, so it's why I know windows 8 and T12 runs smoothly, and I figure i share those issues!

Also Cnet articles says that there is a steep learning curve with wndows 8, so you all know guys!

As for me -- I got the box sitting on my desk to upgrade from 7 to 8 --- have not upgraded yet -- need to do a super back up of everything!

Good Luck, and hope those who are having issues get good results soon!!

Ish

Hi Ish I'm glad to hear from you. I hope all is going well. :)

I too can say that there aren't any real problems. The start menu is different, but if you go to the desktop, it's just like Windows 7 without a start menu-button. To get to start menu again, you can hit the windows-start key on the keyboard and to return to desktop, you can hit it again. No big deal. IE10 seems to be about the same, and so does the control panel and everything else once I found out where they are. Last night I did some editing in Trainz and downloading from the DLS. Everything worked normally as far as I could tell. The performance was the same in Trainz as it was in Win7 :)

So I don't see any real big deal, and once people get used to the difference in the initial interface, there will be no complaints. Now I'm sure with more and more native applications the desktop will eventually become less and less useful then eventually disappear, and we will need special hacks to run a desktop applications.

John

Hi Ish I'm glad to hear from you. I hope all is going well. :)

I too can say that there aren't any real problems. The start menu is different, but if you go to the desktop, it's just like Windows 7 without a start menu-button. To get to start menu again, you can hit the windows-start key on the keyboard and to return to desktop, you can hit it again. No big deal. IE10 seems to be about the same, and so does the control panel and everything else once I found out where they are. Last night I did some editing in Trainz and downloading from the DLS. Everything worked normally as far as I could tell. The performance was the same in Trainz as it was in Win7 :)

So I don't see any real big deal, and once people get used to the difference in the initial interface, there will be no complaints. Now I'm sure with more and more native applications the desktop will eventually become less and less useful then eventually disappear, and we will need special hacks to run a desktop applications.

John

So I guess my question is, what is the point in changing your OS that has no obvious advantages over the previous OS, other than to generate some income for MS?

Back