Automatic Fireman in Loco Properties.

Robert2d6

Cab Driver
I clicked on the properties in Surveyor for my PRR T1 steam engine and I see there is an option for an automatic fireman , which is turned off at the moment. What exactly does that do , when turned on?

I clicked on the properties in Surveyor for my PRR T1 steam engine and I see there is an option for an automatic fireman , which is turned off at the moment. What exactly does that do , when turned on?

If you drive in Cab mode with this enabled, it will manage the injectors and stoker for you, keeping the boiler from running dry or the firebox from burning through. This will allow you to concentrate on driving, without also having to manage the fire and boiler.

It isn't the most intelligent of creatures though, so if you are someone who likes getting the absolute max out of the loco by manipulating water and coal levels throughout the run, be aware that you can't really do that while it is enabled.

It's not specific to the T1 - any steam loco should have it. It's also been around for a while :)

And I gotta find this out now, in the middle of testing a marathon AI traffic session with all diesels and not a single teakettle on the route. :hehe: Been wondering about why Trainz had no "Clinker Coleman" automatic fireman in CAB mode, gotta try setting that tomorrow.

If you drive in Cab mode with this enabled, it will manage the injectors and stoker for you, keeping the boiler from running dry or the firebox from burning through. This will allow you to concentrate on driving, without also having to manage the fire and boiler.

It isn't the most intelligent of creatures though, so if you are someone who likes getting the absolute max out of the loco by manipulating water and coal levels throughout the run, be aware that you can't really do that while it is enabled.

It's not specific to the T1 - any steam loco should have it. It's also been around for a while :)

Thanks for the info, yes I will probably continue to manage those chores myself. Don't want to have an argument with the fireman.. ;)

Back