Is there a maximum size for a route?

From memory Trainz does a certain amount of compression when exporting to CMPA or CDP but not sure how much. I know CMPA files above 2GB usually don't re-import properly if at all.

Shane

This is my test map of Jamaica which almost reaches 2 GB.
There is only one flight route from Kingston to Montego Bay on it.
Tane SP3 CM is giving error message 'file too large' an is refusing to save as CDP.
The ZIP has only 553 MB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12DD-nWbT6wQQt5BsbvjoVfmOTYBf6FNz

This appears to be the real maximum of a file size handled by Content Manager, and it's with this reason we tend to keep stuff a lot smaller so as to ensure we don't run into this limit. At least the limit is now over 1 GB. In TS12 Content Manager would crash the desktop without warning when attempting to import a file above 750 MB.

Anyway... Does your CDP contain just the route, or is that content as well?

If it contains both, split out your CDP so that it's the route in one CDP with sessions in another, and content in another. It may also require saving multiple smaller CDPs, which is better anyway for content installation, because it's easier to handle

Well, for what it's worth my largest route (to date) is about 1220 MB, with the session at just under 40 MB. It is correct that you can't save a route that large to a CDP, but it saves and loads from the hard disc just fine. My own experience is that it's the number of trains that is more of a limiting factor, as on my current machine things start to go south if more than 50 or so trains are running at once.

Like others have said, it all depends on your PC. Mine is about 5 years old with an i7-3930 with 16 GB of memory, and is about due for an upgrade...

--Lamont

I've had a look, just the transdem created route which unzipped comes in at around 2GB on disk 1.91GB actual and contains 36,733 files! most being mapfile***.gnd, presumably that now corresponds to number of boards. Import folder works in both TANE and TRS19. However it's way too large to save to cdp, failed in TANE and TRS19. I can see potential problems if adding assets to the route as well as it takes rather a long time to install and load as it is.

The ground texture appears to be a Google Earth overlay using Transdem Textures, very blurry. TRS19 seems to load quicker than TANE and more of it initially, which is a good indication of TRS19 improvements I would say, doesn't help with the problem though.

This appears to be the real maximum of a file size handled by Content Manager, and it's with this reason we tend to keep stuff a lot smaller so as to ensure we don't run into this limit. At least the limit is now over 1 GB. In TS12 Content Manager would crash the desktop without warning when attempting to import a file above 750 MB.

Anyway... Does your CDP contain just the route, or is that content as well?

If it contains both, split out your CDP so that it's the route in one CDP with sessions in another, and content in another. It may also require saving multiple smaller CDPs, which is better anyway for content installation, because it's easier to handle

T:ANE can handle Maps greater 2 GB too.
This Transdem demo was much larger before I did trim a good amount of the sea,
but I did never check for the size.

The route contains only one object (2 airports) and one invisible track,
the kuid folder is packed in the zip. The CDP is the flight session with just one
plane placed on the route.

I don't see no way and no need to split this map into several CDPs.
The map was just made for testing framerate and stability on a large map.

Well, for what it's worth my largest route (to date) is about 1220 MB, with the session at just under 40 MB. It is correct that you can't save a route that large to a CDP, but it saves and loads from the hard disc just fine. My own experience is that it's the number of trains that is more of a limiting factor, as on my current machine things start to go south if more than 50 or so trains are running at once.

Like others have said, it all depends on your PC. Mine is about 5 years old with an i7-3930 with 16 GB of memory, and is about due for an upgrade...

--Lamont
That is exactly the same experience I made - for Trainz the size of a map does not really matter.

Back