Asset descriptions

One further thought - a meaningful 'username' is essential. Too many assets are both uploaded and included as 'built-in' which are named by some code which is known only to the creator - a sequence of, say, numbers and letters perhaps separated by dashes. There is a place for using a code: I do, for example my latest contribution (just uploaded and waiting approval) is a set of splines to provide an edging for my recent paving splines. They are named (for example) 'DDD edging 01 1m'. the 01 refers to the red brick texture used, the 1m to the length of spline segment. These facts are also included in the description. As there are four different spline segment lengths in each set, the intention is to enable any user to know which of the various edging splines match each other. Incidentally, there is also a screenshot - the same one, no matter which spline segment length, as all look the same when used.

The DDD for Dukes Denver Designs comes from a name I used for a number of N gauge layouts in the past, and I'm now using it as a prefix especially for my own benefit in grouping my assets together on the various Surveyor tabs - not just an ego trip!

Ray

Hi,

Meaningful usernames are rather difficult to achieve, particularly if one considers their readable lenght in surveyor menues. Here is a dilemma for the content creator.

On the one hand, if you want to create a realistic simulation of a historic rail line, even ordinary assets like line keeper's lodges or railway crossings have to match the style typical to the geographic location and era.

On the other hand, the only way to explain why a particular railway crossing was created and uploaded although there are already another thousand ones on the DLS is by the description. If you are trying to use abbreviations in the username to convey as much information as possible, you inevitably wind up with some code which no one else understands.

Cheers,

Konni

A good point, Konni. This just adds to the need for a combination of username, screenshot and description to help everyone to know what something is. Different circumstances will require different combinations of information.

Ray

Back