Engine with cab views that are NOT restricted?

A more intresting idea for a feature would be to have a working computer where you can control the other DPU's through the computer... Would be really kool idea

maybe one day when the locomotives can actually be started,stopped,isolated, etc independently of the rest of the consist that can be done. i have some early prototypes for this, but i have already said too much.......

Thanks for hashing it out with me anyway, I suppose a "conductor view from outside the cab on the walkway" is about as close as possible.

myself are at least as detailed as the actual locomotive is on the outside. so putting them both together might work if a single were used, but keep adding multiple units and you would quickly degrade performance needlessle

If you use only "exterior-visible-from-inside" you'll obtain locomotive's exterior only for the loco you're sitting now. Others locomotives in the consist wouldn't change their detail. So the only problem is to turn off the low-poly locomotive's exterior cabin. And it can be solved with a script.

Giant plus of locomotive's exterior is its illumination, that matches its illumination from the outside view.

i have a hard enough time justifying loading an entire train of boxcars with loads you cant even see unless you open the doors. that's hundreds of thousands of polygons that are still being drawn but are being drawn with the boxcar over them so you cant see them. big waste.
Use ":Cull" suffix for any points with attachments + attachmentCutOff in lm.txt file. This disables all attachments with ":Cull" suffix (unfortunately simultaneously, but :) )

Last edited:
If you use only "exterior-visible-from-inside" you'll obtain locomotive's exterior only for the loco you're sitting now. Others locomotives in the consist wouldn't change their detail. So the only problem is to turn off the low-poly locomotive's exterior cabin. And it can be solved with a script.

Giant plus of locomotive's exterior is its illumination, that matches its illumination from the outside view.

This is interesting, but i think we are talking about just the opposite, with "cabin-visbile-from-outside"

Use ":Cull" suffix for any points with attachments + attachmentCutOff in lm.txt file. This disables all attachments with ":Cull" suffix (unfortunately simultaneously, but :) )

yes but still draws the items when the doors are shut... scripting can take care of it. but i think you understand the direction i was hinting with this.

Got my 'satiable curtiousity activated, so I went ahead and did a exterior a.outsideview attachment positioned inside the cab. Also checked with the headout view, either way there's no difference, as Justin says it seems to be hard coded into the game that if you're in the #1 view the distance is chopped off to about 1000 meters. So conductor on the walkway (if you look at my latest geeps they all have those views) doesn't give you any more distance than sitting at the console.

Other problem, I use the actual body mesh for a cabview shell whenever possible, and did a few experiments using only the console and controls with the outside visible from inside tag instead of an actual shell.

38311073.jpg

Looks good, see the actual body from inside the cab. However.

23126950.jpg

Low poly console and seats are part of the body mesh, so is the driver attachment point.

So with this, we are talking about that for example if we use the "exterior-visible from inside" command and in cab mode, while driving, and exit out of the window and we see at the cabin, we will see the driver? and if we look down, we will see the bogeys? Because this would be superb. The disvantage would be that content creators would've to be very meticollous with the polygon counts and meshes placement. Just asking :D

Greetings

No, what Euphod was talking about is if you have nuclear powered Alienware that can display full detail out to 5000 meters away, as soon as you hit the 1 key to jump in the cab the distance you can see is clamped down to about 1000 meters. Seeing the bogies from a headout or catwalk view is a different thing, for that you use cameras that are not in the cabview asset itself - instead you add a.outsideview0 (or 1,2,3 and so on) to the body mesh of the loco (or freightcar, again see my brakeman series) so when you use the bracket keys it cycles through all the cameras in the cab, then changes to whatever attachment views are on the body and cycles through those.

42136958.jpg

That headout is an attachment on the body separate from the cabview, so you can see wheels.

Last edited:
Back