Engines Wishlist for Jointed Rail.

Not Loram, but I'm gradually collecting resources to do a Speno grinder. Should be good from the 60s to the 80s.

One of those Loram grinders just came thru on Wednesday on the CSX mainline. I later saw it in the small CSX yard in downtown Dalton. Me and my dad were meeting my Mom and one of her friends for supper and then head off to church. Me and my Dad spotted it and we did some impromptu chasing of it down a 2-lane road that paralleled the track. It was only the second time we've seen a rail grinder come thru town in the twenty years we've lived here.

latest

How about modeling prototype existing or fallen flag Class III shortlines' entire rosters and offering them as packs - similar to your Loco Pack for the fictional PVRX? Many Class IIIs have or had pretty small rosters but offer lots of variety and would be cool to build routes for. I'm partial to Washington State railroads so would love to see packs such as:
- Washington Central (WCRC) - Operated on what was originally the NP's Stampede Pass line from Cle Elum to Pasco from 1986 to 1996 with junctions to BN, BNSF and UP. Roster was 18 locos total including (2) F9PH, (2) F7A, (1) F7B, (5) SW1200, (2) Chop Nose GP9, (2) CF7, (2) GP38 and (2) Chop Nose GP7 [http://www.trainweb.org/rosters/WCRC.html]
- Tacoma Rail (TRMW) - Has operated in the Tacoma area serving multiple industries and the Port of Tacoma since 1999 with junctions to BNSF & UP. Current roster is 25 locos total including (1) SW9, (2) SW1200, (4) MP15AC, (2) GP16u, (2) GP20, (2) GP9u, (1) 3GS21B, (2) GP22ECO, (1) GP23ECO, (1) SD40, (1) SD40R, (2) GP38-2, (2) GP40 and (2) SD70ACe-P4 [http://www.trainweb.org/rosters/TRMW.html]
- Palouse River & Coulee City Railroad (PCC) - Has operated in eastern Washington with some tendrils into Idaho and Oregon since 1996 with junctions to BNSF and UP. Current roster is 28 locos total including (2) CF7, (8) GP35, (2) SW1500, (3) GP30m, (4) GP40-2LW, (2) GP30, (1) GP38-3, (1) GP39M, (1) GP39V, (3) GP40, (1) NPCU and (1) GP50 [http://www.trainweb.org/rosters/PCC.html]

How about modeling prototype existing or fallen flag Class III shortlines' entire rosters and offering them as packs - similar to your Loco Pack for the fictional PVRX? Many Class IIIs have or had pretty small rosters but offer lots of variety and would be cool to build routes for. I'm partial to Washington State railroads so would love to see packs such as:
- Washington Central (WCRC) - Operated on what was originally the NP's Stampede Pass line from Cle Elum to Pasco from 1986 to 1996 with junctions to BN, BNSF and UP. Roster was 18 locos total including (2) F9PH, (2) F7A, (1) F7B, (5) SW1200, (2) Chop Nose GP9, (2) CF7, (2) GP38 and (2) Chop Nose GP7 [http://www.trainweb.org/rosters/WCRC.html]
- Tacoma Rail (TRMW) - Has operated in the Tacoma area serving multiple industries and the Port of Tacoma since 1999 with junctions to BNSF & UP. Current roster is 25 locos total including (1) SW9, (2) SW1200, (4) MP15AC, (2) GP16u, (2) GP20, (2) GP9u, (1) 3GS21B, (2) GP22ECO, (1) GP23ECO, (1) SD40, (1) SD40R, (2) GP38-2, (2) GP40 and (2) SD70ACe-P4 [http://www.trainweb.org/rosters/TRMW.html]
- Palouse River & Coulee City Railroad (PCC) - Has operated in eastern Washington with some tendrils into Idaho and Oregon since 1996 with junctions to BNSF and UP. Current roster is 28 locos total including (2) CF7, (8) GP35, (2) SW1500, (3) GP30m, (4) GP40-2LW, (2) GP30, (1) GP38-3, (1) GP39M, (1) GP39V, (3) GP40, (1) NPCU and (1) GP50 [http://www.trainweb.org/rosters/PCC.html]

We don't have 25 locos anymore (TacomaRail). We don't have the SWs or GP16 anymore.

How about modeling prototype existing or fallen flag Class III shortlines' entire rosters and offering them as packs - similar to your Loco Pack for the fictional PVRX?
I like this idea a lot but the two biggest problems that comes to mind are that the packs would get expensive quickly for people buying when you add up a bunch of different model types and also all the subtle differences within each locomotive type.

The latter is actually the primary reason we tend to shy away from shortline rosters with a bunch of one locomotive type that is compiled of different lineages. A roster might be a bunch of GP40's on paper but they will end up being some ex-penn central phase 1a, some ex-rock island phase 1b, some ex-southern pacific phase 2b, etc. The little differences add up to a lot more work if we were to model an entire shortline roster, and more model work leads to more areas for mistakes, more time spent fixing things for late-development discoveries, more cab shells taking up space, it's just not worth it unless someone commissions it and foots the bill for the extra work.

Last edited:
What about the Genesee & Wyoming owned shortline Chattanooga and Chickamauga (CCKY)? They've got a fleet of three, maybe four, Geeps on their roster all painted in the G&W paint scheme. Would that be a feasible shortline roster to make?
P.S. If you want to add some color to this shortline, the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (TVRM) runs excursions on the CCKY's tracks with vintage diesels painted in their original paint schemes. The CCKY also occasionally borrows one of the TVRM's diesels if they need some extra power, such as one of their own diesels are broken down. The CCKY also has an agreement with the TVRM for the TVRM to handle repairs to their diesels they can't handle theirselves.

What about the Genesee & Wyoming owned shortline Chattanooga and Chickamauga (CCKY)? They've got a fleet of three, maybe four, Geeps on their roster all painted in the G&W paint scheme. Would that be a feasible shortline roster to make?
This is completely feasible but not likely unless there's enough interest.

I like this idea a lot but the two biggest problems that comes to mind are that the packs would get expensive quickly for people buying when you add up a bunch of different model types and also all the subtle differences within each locomotive type.

The latter is actually the primary reason we tend to shy away from shortline rosters with a bunch of one locomotive type that is compiled of different lineages. A roster might be a bunch of GP40's on paper but they will end up being some ex-penn central phase 1a, some ex-rock island phase 1b, some ex-southern pacific phase 2b, etc. The little differences add up to a lot more work if we were to model an entire shortline roster, and more model work leads to more areas for mistakes, more time spent fixing things for late-development discoveries, more cab shells taking up space, it's just not worth it unless someone commissions it and foots the bill for the extra work.

That's understandable since this would be quite a project with a huge scope given the various models and variations.

How about taking a subsection of these and for example create just the Alco Centuries merged into Guilford from the D&H? Some of these were still in Lehigh Valley red, but had Delaware & Hudson lettered on the side. There were some in plain blue, and others were kicking around with the Lehigh Valley logo and name sneaking through.

There are so many roads that this can be done with and I'm sure others as well as myself would purchase these.

How about a separate division within Jointed Rail that creates relatively simple models, quickly, albeit a bit less detailed with simple/default cabs?

Kind of like the difference between Athearn Blue box and Genesis.

It could be called "Welded Rail".

This is completely feasible but not likely unless there's enough interest.

I thought that a shortline with a small roster of similar locomotives in identical paint schemes, like say three or four Geeps, maybe GP38's and/or GP40's, would be better to make a whole fleet than a shortline with a large roster of multiple paint schemes, 10-12 diesels made up of GP38-2's, GP40-2's, a GP9, SD40-2's, and SD40's, with some in their previous owners paint scheme that's been patched, some in the railroad's paint scheme, etc.,etc., etc.

@crazytrain: I like your idea. It'll help the members of the community who don't have a lot of money in their pockets.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Boise Valley Railroad - five units, two former BAR GP38-2s, an ex-C&O GP30, an ex-WP GP35, and an ex-SCL GP40 (derated to GP35 but still looks like a 40). Three in BVRR blue and orange, one in Watco black and yellow, and one in an altered BVRR blue and orange scheme with darker colors and no logo.

How about a separate division within Jointed Rail that creates relatively simple models, quickly, albeit a bit less detailed with simple/default cabs?

Kind of like the difference between Athearn Blue box and Genesis.

It could be called "Welded Rail".

We already have something called that, which is even less expensive called the Download Station. The DLS offers some really well made content not found elsewhere at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the info, I totally get that this could get very complicated and expensive. So if I wanted to discuss a commission to model some/all of the WCRC roster, would I contact you through the JR website?

Thanks for the info, I totally get that this could get very complicated and expensive. So if I wanted to discuss a commission to model some/all of the WCRC roster, would I contact you through the JR website?
inquiries should be directed via emails to support @ jointedrail.com

Back