Engines Wishlist for Jointed Rail.

With the recent news of the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's acquiring TVA FM H-16-66 #F3060, I think we should have the Fairbanks Morse H-16-66s for the TVA, C&NW, Milwaukee Road, and others.

TRN_TVA_Trainmaster.jpg

And I'm lucky enough to live 30 minutes away from it. If only they could get it to run again. One could dream.

I thought TVA #3060 could run! Guess not... :(

I'm assuming that it isn't running, as according to the Wikipedia page on H-16-66's the locomotive was retired from active service in 1997, so it's been sitting still for more than 20 years. It's got an opposed-piston (OP) engine, think two cylinders inside the same cylinder casing, with the heads of the two cylinders facing each others. That means two crankshafts, which means a more complex engine. I even found the Wikipedia article for the engine TVA #3060 has. Fairbanks-Morse is still in business, making these engines to this day, so theoreticly, you could buy a replacement engine from them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Morse_38_8-1/8_diesel_engine

I'm assuming that it isn't running, as according to the Wikipedia page on H-16-66's the locomotive was retired from active service in 1997, so it's been sitting still for more than 20 years. It's got an opposed-piston (OP) engine, think two cylinders inside the same cylinder casing, with the heads of the two cylinders facing each others. That means two crankshafts, which means a more complex engine. I even found the Wikipedia article for the engine TVA #3060 has. Fairbanks-Morse is still in business, making these engines to this day, so theoreticly, you could buy a replacement engine from them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks_Morse_38_8-1/8_diesel_engine

That also means theoretically, (with some modification to the engine), FM could go back into making locomotives.

That also means theoretically, (with some modification to the engine), FM could go back into making locomotives.

Given that railroads these days would not want to spend money on a maintaining a locomotive with such a complex engine, and that FM was the first diesel locomotive manufacturer to exit the diesel locomotive manufacturing industry that wasn't a former steam locomotive manufacturer, I doubt that anyone would buy a locomotive from FM.

That TVA FM H-16-66 #F3060 looks like a fossil.

Yes it does, but these engines were great and ran forever. They worked well in both freight and passenger service. As freight locomotives they had a high tractive effort and were able to handle heavy loads with ease. The problem they had was they didn't do well in warm environments and the engines would overheat.

Until recently someone from the crew at Gallatin would crank the locomotive and in general look over the mechanics in order to try and keep the unit in working, or as close to working order as possible.

Man, that FM is a fossil from a bygone era.

Speaking of a bygone era, St. Maries River RR equipment would be a welcomed addition. One of the last logging railroads still out there.
stma102abp.jpg

stma995abp.jpg

The one......
The only.....

THE GREAT AMERICAN ENERGY SAVER!

2306_ri297_062977_blueisland.jpg

escd84 has some Norfolk Southern yard slugs on the DLS, two of which are close enough for you to simply reskin it: 'NS Alco Yard Slug #866 (exRSD12)', <KUID2:203554:100760:1>, and NS Alco Yard Slug #868 (exRSD12), <KUID:203554:100769>. The only difference between the two is the headlights on the NS yard slug are sticking up above the body of the yard slug instead of being set into it like the one in the picture.

Last edited:
Some more Clinchfield would be great!

Clinchfield did order some SD40T-2 tunnel motors before the SBD merger as well, didn't they? would be an interesting 'fantasy' scheme for sure.

Related note, the ATSF did order ~10 SD40-2's with a unique light package for (supposedly) running on certain SP routes. IIRC they were numbered 5060-5069, built in 1979. The extra light package was removed in the late 80's afaik. Would be something neat for sure.

BuSQYXq.jpg

Clinchfield did order some SD40T-2 tunnel motors before the SBD merger as well, didn't they? would be an interesting 'fantasy' scheme for sure.

Related note, the ATSF did order ~10 SD40-2's with a unique light package for (supposedly) running on certain SP routes. IIRC they were numbered 5060-5069, built in 1979. The extra light package was removed in the late 80's afaik. Would be something neat for sure.

I'm not aware of an order placed by the Clinchfield for tunnel motors. Maybe someone with more knowledge about CRR locomotives can chime in. I agree though, it would make for a cool fantasy scheme.

Also, I forgot about this small group of ATSF dash 2s. Has an ICG feel to the light package setup.

I would like to see an updated version of the Conrail SD60M or make a SD60i.

So far, we don't have an updated SD60M model (Or SD60 for that matter). What I have found, is the SD60I is very easy to replicate. If you look at an SD60I you'll see a black seam around the nose, just reskin it to have that. As for the off-center nose and door changing sides, you'll have to wait. For now, that's your best bet.

Anyways, here's more suggestions:

SD40T-2's for RJ Corman, UP (with and without snoot nose) and SP without snoot nose.
SD45T-2 for UP and KCS

7241.1583120326.jpg

UP_8635_EMD_SD40T-2.jpg

Original-slide-UP-SD40T-2-Snoot-Nose-2907-ex-SP.jpg

sp-8295-southern-pacific-sd40t-2-diesel-locomotive-sd40-bealv-wernher-krutein.jpg

KCS%204506%20X-SP%209251%20XX-SP%206774%20SD45-3%20rebuilt%20from%20SD45T-2%20in%20CSX%20Gentilly%20Yard%20in%20New%20Orleans%20LA%2012-10-1996.jpg

UP%202864-1.jpg

Yes, I know RRMods has a UP SD40T-2 with and without snoot noses but the model is at least 7 years old and hasn't seen an update since.

Last edited:
More eccentric locomotives, take the GP20:
BLI-4277a__44216.1629725509.png

Or an SD45X...
19751229-300-10.jpg

Or even an SD38-2....
3830.jpg

Question, will we be getting DRGW SD9 and GP9 models? Those would be a very, very welcome addition!

Last edited:
Back